Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Replaced, Hard to get into Gear.. NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Replaced, Hard to get into Gear.. NEED HELP

Alright....

I have had my car for a month now... and due to a clutch failure in the first 5 days i havent been able to drive it.

I just got it back from having a stage one Clutchmasters clutch installed in it and its acting funny. Here are the symptoms PLEASE help.

1. When not moving i have to force the Stick pretty hard to get it into gear, especially reverse.

2. The clutch pedal's grab point is about 2 inches off the floorbord. basically no play what-so-ever.

During having the clutch replaced i also had the transmission shop replace some fluids... i put Royal Purple in the Rear Differencial (75-90) and The stock mitsubishi fluid in the transmission... then royal purple oil.

Is this normal for a new clutch... anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks
Travis
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:24 PM

Common guys.. i could realy use some help...... I am about to shove my foot up the transmission shop's owners _@#_%@...

on a hunch i called them back and asked to tlak to the guy who did the fluid change and i guess there "wasnt enough of the mitsubishi fluid" to fill up the transmission so he topped it off with the royal purple 75-90. I am sure i had enough mitsubishi fluid becasue i went straight to mitsu and watched them pump it into a container... could the 75-90 be causeing the symptoms or mabie an overfill situation???
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the clutch is not adjusted properly or you need to bleed the fluid to get the air out.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

tweist99,

I had the same exact symptoms when I had my clutch changed.

1. The reason it is harder to get into gear is most likely because tranny fluid is still getting into all parts of the transmission. It was drained off all the fluid when swapping the clutch. After a few days, it will get better and be back the way it was. I put redline fluids in my transmission. I was a worried when this first happened to me too.

2. The reason the clutch has no play is most likely because it still needs to be broken in. I stalled out many times when I first had my new clutch installed. After a few hundred miles it will get better and engage a little higher. Also, I used to have the clutch line restrictor out. After the new clutch, I put it back in because the engagement was too harsh with it out.

In case you're curious, I have the Unorthodox Racing 6 puck ceramic disk clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Just my 2 cents from my experience!
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most likely the clutch needs to be adjusted... i know my stock clutch for the day i bought the car will grab like 6-8 inches from the floor... this is very high i know but hey its how the car came stock and mitsu seems to think its normal so whatever...

But from other cars if your having problems with enagement then adjsut the clutch up alittle bit. Also is the tranny new? or is there a few miles on it?.... Also the syncros may have been damaged in the process from stock clutch going out to new clutch...

last thing is what oil was used in the tranny.. i've many people try and tell people that GL5 is ok to use in ALL newer manual trans which IS NOT TRUE... you can ONLY use GL5 if your syncro's are hardend and not brass.. GL5 will eat through them and destroy them.. i've see nthis first hand happen to a friend.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the input, i fixed it.... it was actually suppriseingly easy. All i did was adjust the clutch pedal position useing the directions from the service manual.
It seems to be that the clutch was not fully engageing and therefor wasw causeing the gears to slip just enough to make it a pain to put into gear...

Thanks Again guys.