EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   What's up with the diff Evo stroker kits?? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/103471-whats-up-diff-evo-stroker-kits.html)

tlohman Oct 14, 2004 07:31 PM

What's up with the diff Evo stroker kits??

I know everyone has seen the different stroker kits available but what is everyone actually seeing or hearing about them and which one seems to be working the best right now??

David Buschur Oct 18, 2004 08:24 AM

Our new stroker kits our out now and I have parts in stock to do custom builds or for sale for you guys to do the work yourself.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

tlohman Oct 19, 2004 08:57 AM

Can you post some prices for us? What all do your kits include?

MyCre8n=Evlshn Oct 19, 2004 09:44 AM

RnR 2.4

Heeeeyy!! Where's RnR racing's 2.4??
I looked over all these kits and talked to a lot of people (Moses from the UK who's built a bunch of strokers, Magnus motorsports, Shiv, etc.) and what I've come away with is this:

On the stock block, the JUN stroker 2.2 is the "strongest" meaning that you may get more hp out of it than a 2.3 because you can boost it harder and rev it slightly more...but you pay out the wazoo for the JUN. Moses likes the 2.2 strokers for the strength reason. (He's also blown up strokers and seen others blow them up, which gives him a lot of perspective)

I figured I'd probably go with a 2.3 because I wanted mostly to really spool faster and get more low end torque...I didn't care that much about revving really high. Most of these kits will rev (from what I've learned) to around 8000 rpms from time to time, briefly, without too much risk (depending of course on the compression ratio and boost you're running). The JUN can go to 9000 and can do it on a more regular basis without probably blowing up.

I liked the idea of using the original block because I had the idea that the 2.3 stroker in the 4G63 block was going to be lighter weight and really be stronger than using another block. I'd heard TODA was a "weak" kit, among the competition, from a couple of sources...so I was going to go with some other 2.3 kit. I just really liked the idea of using the original block.

Well, after much research and talking to many people, I came to the conclusion that the way to go is the 4G64 2.4L kit. If you're going for bigger displacement, why not go significantly bigger? That's 25% more of a displacement increase from a 2.3! A full 20% increase in total displacement compared to a 15% with a 2.3.
And it turns out the increased block weight is negligible (a few pounds, not the 10 or 20 lbs I had imagined). The rev limit is around 8000-8500 and it's already proven and running in a bunch of Evos (not to mention DSM's).

After looking at all the kits, this was the one that I settled on because it's way less $$ than JUN, stronger than TODA, and proven to give over 600 ft lbs of torque without difficulty! The only question which I had left to wrestle with was which companie's rods and pistons to go with (the stock 4G64 crank is strong enough to handle the abuse) and that can be debated.

So all in all, I think RnR is by far the best option and they've been building these for a while--in house. See Ryan's thread on his car (making unbelievable torque with this set-up and spooling a GT35R like it were a stock turbo!!).

{thumbup}

mike 99gsx Oct 19, 2004 09:51 AM

What car are these 2.4 cranks coming from?

4DR4WD Oct 19, 2004 09:55 AM

wanna just link us to the thread?

Aby@MIL.SPEC Oct 19, 2004 10:57 AM

I have heard the 2.4 block has a larger bore which should enable the cylinder head to breath better too. Less valve shrouding @ higher valve lifts.

Jadiem Oct 19, 2004 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mike 99gsx
What car are these 2.4 cranks coming from?

4g64 motor... galant, eclipse, expo, etc...

mike 99gsx Oct 19, 2004 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jadiem
4g64 motor... galant, eclipse, expo, etc...

I know that. I guess what I'm wondering is how are these blocks being made to work turn key in an EVO since they mounted 180 degrees backwards. Are you using a DSM head too with the exhaust side pointed towards the firewall? What am I missing here?

Yaroslav Oct 19, 2004 01:27 PM

What about DECK STROKER 2.3?

3240 Oct 19, 2004 02:13 PM

Check out the www.crower.com kit. I believe that this is the same kit that is used for the 900 hp RC Evo. Looks nice.

David Buschur Oct 20, 2004 09:40 AM

Kit will include:

New 2.4 liter crank
Main bearings
Rod bearings
Thrust bearings
Forged connecting rods
Custom J&E pistons, pins and retainers
Rings

I have these in both stock and .020 over bore packages. The complete package sells for $2,200. I believe you will find this is the least expensive kit on the market. I will get a picture together in the next few days and put the kits on the website. The parts are instock now and ready to ship for anyone interested.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

RnR Racing Oct 20, 2004 09:51 AM

We absolutely love our 2.4 motor. It really makes a big turbo car so much fun on the street. Like it was mentioned we are making 615ft lbs of torque and the car is so driveable. Every EVO we build we like to use the 2.4 because we can throw a large turbo at it and there is virtually no lag. Here is a link to the thread on our car.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=78451

Jadiem Oct 20, 2004 01:40 PM

sounds good David... i'll be looking to you guys when i'm ready :)

tlohman Oct 23, 2004 10:28 AM

RnR: Are you using the stock Evo head on the 4G64 bottom end?