EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   DIY Pressure tester (pic) and leaks found so far (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/148479-diy-pressure-tester-pic-leaks-found-so-far.html)

EVO8LTW Jul 13, 2005 07:28 PM

DIY Pressure tester (pic) and leaks found so far

I made a very simple pressure tester with a stock IC coupler, a 1/8" npt tank valve and 1-1/2" ID PVC cap from Home Depot. So far, I've found that the flange on my Buschur upper IC piping is warped. I tried putting RTV on both sides of the gasket but that didn't fix it (and I let it dry 24 hours too). Then I removed the gasket altogether and tried just RTV -- bingo -- fixed. Then I could hear the next loudest leak. A hole in a weld in the corner of the core of my Buschur FMIC. Patched that with a tiny bit of RTV (it was very small). Then I heard a distinct hissing and felt a stream of air from where my Buschur lower IC pipe meets the turbo. This really annoyed me because that pipe already fit very poorly and I was VERY careful not to warp the flange when I installed it. Well, I reached up and was able to stop the hissing by putting my finger over a pin hole in one of the welds at the top of that pipe, so the leak was from a weld, not the flange being warped. I just JB Welded that up and I'll reinstall it tomorrow and continue testing.

All I can say is that if you haven't pressure tested your car, you should. I did everything right on my car with t-bolt clamps, RTV at leak prone joints, clamped or zip tied vacuum lines, etc. I didn't have leaks at any of those usual points, but these defects in my parts caused leaks that I would never have suspected without the tester.

Here are pics of the tester, the package for the tank valve that I screwed into the PVC cap (after drilling and tapping the hole with a 1/8 npt tap from Sears) and my BOV after sealing it with RTV and no gasket. I hope that the patch on the weld for the upper IC pipe is the last of the leaks, but you can't tell until you patch each one as they get progressively quieter.

Hope this helps someone.

Pressure Tester Pic
BOV flange sealed
Tank Valve 1/8 npt package

bishiboy Jul 13, 2005 07:34 PM

I've found several leaks myself.
One at the turbo outlet, clamp not tight enough.
One at the connection of the upper IC pipe and lower one.
One at a vacuum tee I installed.
My turbo XS H34 BOV was leaking at the valve. I fixed this by using valve lapping compound and re-creating the seat where the valve sits. Now it holds to 30psi. (I also use 5 washers).
And the last one, I couldn't fix, the throttle butterfly shaft. If I wiggle it, I can hear it get louder. It's not much, but I don't want any.

sleet Jul 13, 2005 08:11 PM

Where'd you get those T-bolt clamps from? I need them.

spyderx Jul 13, 2005 08:43 PM

Rich,

I tried the same home made kit and can't seem to go beyond 13psi.

Any suggestions?

thx

dryad001 Jul 13, 2005 09:18 PM

I was going to do this earlier in the day but got a little side tracked by getting the wrong size t-bolt clamps. Then I went to the local dyno to watch a couple of runs and on the way home BAM car dies. Looks like im making time tomorrow.

bishiboy Jul 13, 2005 11:55 PM

Check a local truck parts store for the T-bolt clamps or you can find on ebay.

EVO8LTW Jul 14, 2005 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by sleet

I got the clamps with some used parts that I bought, but they are around. Just do a google search.

EVO8LTW Jul 14, 2005 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by spyderx
Rich,

I tried the same home made kit and can't seem to go beyond 13psi.

Any suggestions?

thx

What do you mean that you can't go beyond 13 psi? The tester is leaking? If so, where is it leaking?

BTW, the clamp on the PVC end is just a regular hose clamp. I've had it up to 28 psi with no leaks (at the tester).

EVO8LTW Jul 14, 2005 03:26 AM

BTW, since I didn't make an effort to put the motor at TDC for this, I'm guessing that some of this pressurized air could be getting into the oiling system/crankcase. So, just to be safe, I'm going to pull the crank angle sensor connector and crank the car over a couple times for 8-10 seconds to prime the oiling system before reconnecting and driving the car again. I did notice fresh oil on my pan where the oil drain line bolts to the oil pan. I assumed that that was a leak there, but it looked fresh and hadn't spread back onto the tranny, so maybe that's just from the pressure testing. Hmmm...

TRDHarrier Jul 14, 2005 03:30 AM

i gotta find my boost leak. I am not holding steady boost at 22 psi. it spikes to 23.5 and goes straight down to 20.....gotta find my leaks!!!

SlowCar Jul 14, 2005 04:12 AM

http://www.mcmaster.com/................search under "t bolt clamps". they are about $3 each

djtmotorsports Jul 14, 2005 04:36 AM

That's what I do all day, just call me.

www.hosenow.com

Darin

nhsean69 Jul 14, 2005 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
$25 HomeDepot Job!!! Good to atleast 30psi that ive tested. Built in Regulator with Compressor hose connection.

Thing is []D [] []V[] []D

kmcconn9 Jul 14, 2005 05:22 AM

luckily, I dont have any leaks yet, but I will have to make one of these once I get my fmic and pipes...

EVO8LTW Jul 14, 2005 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
luckily, I dont have any leaks yet, but I will have to make one of these once I get my fmic and pipes...

How do you know that you don't have any leaks?