EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   AMSoil MTL SAE 75w90 GL4 (Tranny) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/164536-amsoil-mtl-sae-75w90-gl4-tranny.html)

Karash Oct 16, 2005 11:32 PM

AMSoil MTL SAE 75w90 GL4 (Tranny)

I am a longtime BG user from my previous 2003 Evo, but decided to try AMSoil new GL-4 manual transmission lube after I finally got my Karboy shortshifter and bushings installed. Car has 1500 miles, with the normal OEM notchy shifting B.S. from the factory. Dumped the old fluid out (which still looked new btw), and put 2.9 qts of AMSoil in.

Performs just like BG Syncroshift or even better. Notchyness is totally gone (except for slight 1st gear notch which is normal). Totally happy so far with this fluid, and I like that it is actually rated GL-4 and SAE compliant. I will give a longer term review once I put about 5000 miles on the car. Already did some hard shifting near redline, and with the full Kartboy setup (knob, shifter, both sets of bushings) its like a dream going through the gears. "Riflelock" comes to mind.

Anyhow...just wanted to give a mini-review for those still looking for magic snake MTL oil :D

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx

Happy shifting.

SEEYA Oct 17, 2005 12:16 AM

how many miles do you have right now?

Zeus Oct 17, 2005 07:30 AM

Mitsuorder was having good results with it... I think he ordered me some, but I've not been around to try it out.

EVIL_EVO_VIII Oct 17, 2005 07:53 AM

Can this be bought at local stores? I want to give it a try

Karash Oct 17, 2005 10:10 AM

Dont know if it can be bought in local stores...I had to order mine from them directly. Only have about 100 miles on it, so not a comprehensive review yet :)

DanJ Dec 11, 2005 05:09 AM

Could this be used in our evo's without voiding our warrante unlike the synchromesh and synchroshift fluids.

4G63 T Dec 11, 2005 05:24 AM

You said notchy shifting gone? how would you know whether or not its amsoil or kartboy
bushing cure it?

DanJ Dec 11, 2005 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 4G63 T
You said notchy shifting gone? how would you know whether or not its amsoil or kartboy
bushing cure it?

I would think stiffer bushings would make the tranny seem even more notchy because there is more vibration through the lever, right?

BaLListic_EVO Dec 11, 2005 09:09 AM

they stock this stuff down the street @ my local car quest its great stuff im using different grades of ams oil in everything in my evo and have been for the past 17k.....

boostedwrx Dec 11, 2005 11:06 AM

Yea try the motor oil too, its very good (10w30 turbo formula or even the 7500xl)

DanJ Dec 11, 2005 12:00 PM

could mitsu void my waranty for trying this stuff in the tranny? It does meet the "mitsu diaqueen OR 75w90 GL4 SAE" requirment. so it should be find under warranty correct?

Karash Dec 11, 2005 12:12 PM

Mitsu has to cover under warrenty. It is rated 75w90 GL4.

After 2000 miles I can confidently say this is great gear oil. When the tranny is cold, its a bit notchy (have karboy full setup), but once warmed up, its a dream to shift. Feels like a bolt action rifle when I shift...which is what I wanted since my old 2003 Evo was set up this way :D

homiusang Dec 11, 2005 02:17 PM

I haven't really seen Amsoil products at any local stores, so you might need to order them from online stores.

Max Power Dec 11, 2005 04:57 PM

Since you're in AZ, check out Surge (on Rural and Gauadalupe). I don't think they have the GL4 Amsoil, but he's got a bunch of other Amsoil stuff and an account so he might be interested in carrying it.

Deepseadiver Dec 28, 2005 10:52 AM

Good to know. How often are you changing the AMSoil GL4?