EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Octane booster: which ? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/206903-octane-booster.html)

ItalianEvo Jun 17, 2006 10:31 AM

Octane booster: which ?

Hello,

I'm looking for a GOOD octane booster...

Any advice ?

TIA.

SlowCar Jun 17, 2006 10:34 AM

one that has MMT-methyl cyclopentandienyl manganese tricarbonyl in it

IXmr321 Jun 17, 2006 10:38 AM

the best is called 110 octane and you can find it at almost any track and some sunoco gas stations {thumbup}

number 8 Jun 17, 2006 10:39 AM

Just found one I really like at the local auto parts store . Called Xtreme Performance from Sport Compact Products. You add a bottle to 8 gallons of premium unleaded, or can be added to race gas.

19psi Jun 17, 2006 11:05 AM

Torco fuel additive.

I tried it last week. Car runs a lot smoother.

Noize Jun 17, 2006 11:07 AM

Octane boosters don't work.
Splash a little race gas in there.

number 8 Jun 17, 2006 11:12 AM

Race gas woud be ideal, but dude, some fuel additives really do work.

Badog Jun 17, 2006 11:24 AM

I've always heard that octane boosters don't really do that much. I haven't looked for a long time but maybe it's gotten better over the years.

althemean Jun 17, 2006 11:56 AM

most octane boosters do not raise the octane one full point. They only raise it in tenths. So you go from 91.0 to maybe 91.1-91.3 understand?

NOS octane is supposed to be one of the better products though.

I just mix 3 gal of 100 octane per every 11 gal of 91 which comes out to 92.9 octane.

czevo Jun 17, 2006 12:03 PM

The old vp octane used to work but they pulled of the shelves where i live but if you find it give it a try

TurboSpoolinIns Jun 17, 2006 12:07 PM

Put one gallon of 110 for $4 in there and it'd be a better investment than that $5 bottle of octane booster. If you're worried about lead, get like 1.5 gallons of 100 octane unleaded or 105 unleaded. Do the math and avg out your octane. :)

machron1 Jun 17, 2006 12:08 PM

Toluene bought from a local petrochemical dealer. A place called Tarr sells it here in Portland. It is 114 octane, so a gallon of it mixed with 13 gallons of 91 octane gives you 92.64 octane, or 16.4 "octane points" as they like to call it on the octane booster bottles. Toluene is about $6/gal so it's about as much as the bottled additives but you aren't putting snake oil lead substitutes that do god knows what to your engine, you are just putting something in your tank that is naturally in gasoline anyway. The only reason they don't use more Toluene is because of emissions requirements. The turbo F1 cars which got an amazing 1,000hp/liter of displacement (1.5L turbo making ~1,500 hp) ran Toluene.

Don't buy the junk in the store, it's rubbish AFAIK, and even if it works, you have to question what kind of crap they put in that bottle such that a small amount has a huge effect. I would much rather burn a straight petrochemical.

Soon2BEVO Jun 17, 2006 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by TurboSpoolinIns
Put one gallon of 110 for $4 in there and it'd be a better investment than that $5 bottle of octane booster. If you're worried about lead, get like 1.5 gallons of 100 octane unleaded or 105 unleaded. Do the math and avg out your octane. :)

Thats best IMO too.

For $5-7, get 1 gallon of either 109 unleaded or 110+ leaded. With a half tank of gas (14gal) its going to raise the octane around 2 points. A bottle of octane boost, even the best (NOS brand) will not even raise it 1.

Turbo Mag or SCC did a test using the octane boosters and I learned some cool things:

Adding a bottle of booster to 87 octane is much more effective than adding it to say 93. When they added it to 87 it made a big different but when adding to 93, it was a very very negligible gain. Just do the gallon of race gas, its the best thing.

I do it usually on Saturday nights if I go out hunting V8s {devil} Of course I notch the boost up a lil too.

badhabit90 Jun 17, 2006 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by czevo
The old vp octane used to work but they pulled of the shelves where i live but if you find it give it a try

+1. i used this and it did seem to curb the knock. now i just go to Ace Hardware and pick up a gallon of toluene and fill that little container with toluene and pour it in. seems to help the knock as my timing stays more consistent now. Toluene is rated as 114 octane. {thumbup}

vboy425 Jun 17, 2006 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
Octane boosters don't work.
Splash a little race gas in there.

{thumbup}