EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Octane booster: which ? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/206903-octane-booster.html)

.MM Jun 17, 2006 01:06 PM

in my Integra Type R, the car use to detonate when it was untuned on 93 pump gas

i dont know if its safe, but i would pour like 6 bottle of octane booster into the tank when i got gas and it would run 100x better!

lol

sparky Jun 17, 2006 01:16 PM

Try running a gallon or two of xylene mixed in with your pump gas.

SlowCar Jun 17, 2006 01:46 PM

anyone know if there is an issue running high concentrations of toluene/methylbenzene and xylene/dimethylbenzene through the fuel system....hoses, orings...?

machron1 Jun 17, 2006 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by SlowCar
anyone know if there is an issue running high concentrations of toluene/methylbenzene and xylene/dimethylbenzene through the fuel system....hoses, orings...?

Shouldn't be a problem with Toluene. I've used it many many times on my Eclipse and a few times on my Evo with good results. Xylene is a bit more harsh. Dunno about the rest.

neonhero Jun 17, 2006 09:42 PM

What I've done at times is run 1.5 Gallons of denatured alcohol on a full tank of gas. People run it on alcohol injection setups. Alcohol burns cooler and is already present in gasoline.

If I'm not mistaken denatured alcohol is ethanol which wont eat the fuel lines like methanol.

mifesto Jun 17, 2006 09:44 PM

right now when i know im going to be on boost often, i'll pour 1 gallon of C16. gives me about 96 octane, good enough for safety since my car is tuned w/ 93 octane at under 11.0 AFR.

yeah i always have 5-6 gallons on stand as often as i can.

machron1 Jun 17, 2006 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by neonhero
What I've done at times is run 1.5 Gallons of denatured alcohol on a full tank of gas. People run it on alcohol injection setups. Alcohol burns cooler and is already present in gasoline.

If I'm not mistaken denatured alcohol is ethanol which wont eat the fuel lines like methanol.

This should work too AFAIK but it will raise your A/F ratio readings, but 1.5 gallons shouldn't hurt anything if you have a safe tune.

600+hp Jun 17, 2006 10:08 PM

I kept the mix at 10% toluene or Xylene, I believe you can go as high as 20% (don't quote me on this). Pump gas already has some Toluene/Xylene in it, beyond the 20% the octane #s will not improve and you may alter the dynamic of the combustion too much.
Then again I've heard of peoples claiming they run 50/50 premiun pump and Toluene without any ill effect.

Torco has been tested by an independent lab. One can ($10-15) will give you about 50-55 point of octane. Added to 10 gallons of 93 pump premiun you should get about a 97-98 octane mixture.
Don't know if you can use it w/ cats.

SlowCar Jun 17, 2006 11:47 PM

so most of you guys add either toluene or xylene, and crank up the boost a bit.....1psi = ~7 to 10psi rule?

badhabit90 Jun 18, 2006 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by .MM
in my Integra Type R, the car use to detonate when it was untuned on 93 pump gas

i dont know if its safe, but i would pour like 6 bottle of octane booster into the tank when i got gas and it would run 100x better!

lol

thats odd it would detonate on an untuned 93oct. sound suspicious....hmmm were you turbocharged and running enourmously high boost along with your high compression?? sounds almost backwards... :crap: :confused: :beer:

sparky Jun 18, 2006 09:09 AM

so most of you guys add either toluene or xylene, and crank up the boost a bit.....1psi = ~7 to 10psi rule?

I ran 1-2 gallons Sherwin Williams brand xylene for 3 years constantly in my old SFI Buick Grand National, which have a 15 gal capacity gas tank, and was able to increase boost 2# with one gallon mix and 4# with the 2 gallon xylene mix. This was mixed with 92 octane Super.

With straight 92 octane I could only run 15# boost w/o knocking. With one gallon of xylene I could turn the boost up to 17.5# w/0 knock. And with 2 gallons of xylene I was able to run 19-20# without any mv of knock as obseved on a Scanmaster with digital knock readout in milivolts.

Added benefits were lowered EGT's and no signs of deterioration in injector o-rings or seals in Walbro pumps and a beautiful tan color on my plugs. However as with any fuel additives always observe care in handling and avoid breathing the vapors and direct contact with skin(wear gloves).

FWIW, xylene used to be an additive in fuel injector cleaner additives so it keeps your FI system squeaky clean.

SlowCar Jun 18, 2006 09:25 AM

you went from 92oct to ~95oct from the mixture of 2 gallons xylene and could up your boost 5psi
((2/15*117)+(13/15*92))=95.3oct. Good info

Did the lower EGT reading come from advancing timing?

sparky Jun 18, 2006 10:15 AM

Did the lower EGT reading come from advancing timing?[/QUOTE

Look, if my memory serves me well, 'cause it's been a few years.....I am talking about 0.00mv of knock, so I could have turned the boost up another couple pounds safely and still be under a safe 2 degrees of knock. This was on a custom burned street chip that added timing on the bottom and in the middle and rolled it back off a few degrees up top so that we could run a bit higher boost safely on pump.

Other guys preferred running less boost and more timing for the street, on pump gas. I always preferred a bit less agressive timing above 4500 rpm so that I could increase the boost as much as possible on pump. My race gas chips had more timing on the topend.

But, to answer your question you would see reductions in EGT's and an increase in the knock threshold with the xylene, which would allow you to either turn up the boost or increase timing.

I throw this info out there FWIW, realizing that these were only my own experiences and with a different make of car and in different times and under different circumstances.

zlancer Jun 18, 2006 10:34 AM

Just go buy race gas. It's guaranteed to work and be safe. When you start being cheap and mixing all this crap into your tank bad things can happen.

sparky Jun 18, 2006 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by zlancer
Just go buy race gas. It's guaranteed to work and be safe. When you start being cheap and mixing all this crap into your tank bad things can happen.

I'd be the 1st to agree, higher octane pump if they have it in your area or a mixture with race gas is preferrable to any sort of concoction or homebrew. That being said,however, I for one, never had any problems running xylene or toluene, and preferred using it to running on straight pump gas....just my .02