EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Stock Transmission/Transfer Case power Limits??? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/259704-stock-transmission-transfer-case-power-limits.html)

Johnboy1065 Mar 24, 2007 10:59 PM

Stock Transmission/Transfer Case power Limits???

Does anyone know the stock transmission and transfer case limits??? I'm talking about with a proper launch what power range should you be questioning its limits??? what about with a 2 step launch such as with an ems or other engine management systems??? would that be different since your able to create boost at the line???

I've looked and can't find a clear answer for this

Please help out
Thanks

strokedt67 Mar 24, 2007 11:02 PM

When it goes BOOM, you just exceeded the limit.

strokedt67 Mar 24, 2007 11:03 PM

Seriously, a part can fail at any given time. There is no set limit you can push it too. Parts fail at low horsepower and high horsepower.

Johnboy1065 Mar 24, 2007 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by strokedt67 (Post 4126396)

lol yeah but I'd like kind of a rough estimate. Can't afford to have it go boom haha

Aloosh Mar 25, 2007 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by strokedt67 (Post 4126399)
Seriously, a part can fail at any given time. There is no set limit you can push it too. Parts fail at low horsepower and high horsepower.

I agree... thats very true and it varys how hard you drive your car how much you push is it a daily driven car or not? how much horse power? is it a stock transmission a stock transfer case a stock LSD or an after market ones.

Johnboy1065 Mar 25, 2007 04:07 AM

my whole drivetrain is stock except for my ACT XTSS

EVOlutionary Mar 25, 2007 09:40 AM

Your TC will eventually go out even at stock power levels if you did not break it in 100% properly and if you launch it enough. It's not that the TC is weak, it is that Getrag apparently did not set the ring/pinion mesh zone optimally in all the TCs. At least that is what I've been told is the cause of most ring/pinion failures.

Now if you are talking about strength of the front diff (inside the TC), that IS a weak link and it is fairly inexpensive to get forged gears installed. I think it is more a matter of Time x HP. The more HP you have the less time you have till something goes. . .

EVOlutionary

Johnboy1065 Mar 25, 2007 10:38 AM

ok thanks for ya'lls replies

red2003evo8 Mar 25, 2007 12:09 PM

that is the dang truth. happened 2 me

Duby Mar 25, 2007 02:36 PM

HA, I thought this was funny as he!!.

someone mentioned getting stronger/forged gears. Where would I find these? or just a built x-fer case from shep or tre ?

dbsears Mar 25, 2007 02:38 PM

I wouldnt worry about, when it breaks send it to Shep and be done with it. Like most people said it can break whenever, stock or 500hp just depends on how you treat it.

05-EVO-GSR Mar 25, 2007 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Johnboy1065 (Post 4126403)
lol yeah but I'd like kind of a rough estimate. Can't afford to have it go boom haha

If you cannot afford it to go boom then do not launch the car. If drag racing is your thing get a RWD car.

LetItBreath Mar 25, 2007 02:54 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't buschur have a 9 second car thats running ALL the stock drivetrain? It really does depend on how you treat it. Theres many ways for you to feed the tranny and transfer case power, harshly or smoothly. Depending on how you drive and how often you drive it that way, it could go sooner or it could go later. Its a really subjective question is all.

Paul Nelson Mar 25, 2007 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by LetItBreath (Post 4127959)
Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't buschur have a 9 second car thats running ALL the stock drivetrain? It really does depend on how you treat it. Theres many ways for you to feed the tranny and transfer case power, harshly or smoothly. Depending on how you drive and how often you drive it that way, it could go sooner or it could go later. Its a really subjective question is all.

I'm running stock trans and transfer case at my power level and drag race almost every weekend . I believe it had allot to do with the clutch and the driver:eek:

DanJ Mar 26, 2007 05:40 AM

If you treat it nicely. I'm sure anything on the stock turbo would be okay.