EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient fix? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/364161-p0401-egr-flow-insufficient-fix.html)

NJ_evoIXgsr Aug 17, 2008 08:41 AM

P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient fix?

I searched and saw the fix was to check for a loose hose. is there anything else anyone can suggest? I have not really noticed a lose in power. I don't beat or go hard on it. Pretty much babied so I can't tell if there's a drop in power.

FedEvo8 Aug 17, 2008 08:59 AM

The only way for you to find out a loss in power is to gun it. Do you have a boost gauge?

Most likely you blew a hose off. A quick cheap fix is to get some zip ties and clamp down the two nipples on the egr valve behind/under the intake manifold.

evoterp Aug 17, 2008 09:19 AM

I had this problem after my transmission was re-built and put in. I had my hoses checked and my valve replaced. Only to find out that the plastic nipple had broken off in the hose! So when you are checking your hoses, make sure there isn't a shattered plastic in it, which was my case.

good luck

NJ_evoIXgsr Aug 17, 2008 02:40 PM

when i gun it I don't really fell a huge difference in power. unfortunately, have yet to add in a boost gauge. i'll have to install it in the next few weeks.

NJ_evoIXgsr Aug 17, 2008 02:41 PM

is the egr hoses in back of the IM or the tB?

06SilverEvoSE Aug 17, 2008 02:46 PM

i had the same problem when i had my clutch done...its on the back of the intake manifold its a solenoid and the nipples probably cracked on it where the vacuum hoses are...i just bought a new egr solenoid and put it on and never had the code again

jmelocik Aug 17, 2008 02:47 PM

there is an "octopus" of Vacuum hoses which run all over behind the IM and connect to the two ports on the top of the TB, if you find you need anything from this setup let me know as I have all of it. typically the vacuum line comes off of either the EGR valve itself or the one way check valve in the large line is clogged or stuck closed. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I just eliminated my EGR system all together and modded the ROM so it doesn't throw an SES light.

Josh
:usflag:

NJ_evoIXgsr Aug 17, 2008 03:21 PM

cool i'll let you know jmelocik.

navy/airforce? i see your from newport news.

i was navy living in VA beach for 5 years.

dahuii77 Aug 17, 2008 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by jmelocik (Post 6018043)
there is an "octopus" of Vacuum hoses which run all over behind the IM and connect to the two ports on the top of the TB, if you find you need anything from this setup let me know as I have all of it. typically the vacuum line comes off of either the EGR valve itself or the one way check valve in the large line is clogged or stuck closed. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I just eliminated my EGR system all together and modded the ROM so it doesn't throw an SES light.

Josh

i got po403 code is this same problem with th egr????????????????????also how do i eliminated my egr system??????????????

1NastyMR Aug 18, 2008 03:10 AM

EGR code doesnt give you a lose in any power. I fixed mine and the hose blew off again and again I don't even bother it with anymore

NJ_evoIXgsr Aug 18, 2008 07:58 PM

The problem ended up being the hose off the actual EGR valve. the only problem is how to clear the Check engine?

dahuii77 Aug 18, 2008 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by NJ_evoIXgsr (Post 6022618)
The problem ended up being the hose off the actual EGR valve. the only problem is how to clear the Check engine?

yes how to clear the egr code?????????????????????anybody????{thumbup}

afmafia Aug 19, 2008 05:06 AM

you need an obdii scanner to clear the code

turbotboz Aug 27, 2008 03:38 PM

reset the battery

uterus! Aug 27, 2008 05:44 PM

Just take the negative cable off the battery for a few minutes. Bam code cleared.

1NastyMR Aug 28, 2008 02:11 AM

go to autozone get their skanner and delete the codes..

SixOneNine Aug 28, 2008 05:21 AM

Simply resetting the ecu won't solve it if there is a hose that's disconnected. The code will come up again if that's the case. Also if you have a laptop and tactrix cable, you can download scantech on aktivematrix.com for free instead of buying a scanner. It works fine.

Hope this pic helps. Usually the hose pointing towards the passenger side is the one that pops off..
http://i34.tinypic.com/287lkkm.jpg

evanstonevo Aug 31, 2008 10:22 PM

Fabulous! I love the thread and the diagram. Exactly what I was looking for!

stockEvoIX Oct 15, 2008 11:32 PM

It feels like my hoses are still connected. Any idea what else it could be? Should I replace the EGR valve?

fyreant Nov 28, 2008 10:23 AM

did you ever get an answer to this? i might be in the same boat.. :(

MrEvo2nv Nov 28, 2008 01:58 PM

I had the same problem. All hoses on and new egr and new egr solinod put on and hoses double checked and replaced to make sure none was leaking. Ended up being the egr port in the head was totaly clogged. fixed it by egr block off and disabled my egr check in the ecu so now the ecu thinks there is no egr anymore. problem fixed.

NocturnalEVO Mar 8, 2009 03:15 PM

what exactly is the EGR? and wat does it do?

pro's/con's of disabling it?

Zeppelin_of_Led Oct 22, 2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO (Post 6784053)
what exactly is the EGR? and wat does it do?

pro's/con's of disabling it?

those questions plus.. how do you disable it?

jmelocik Oct 23, 2009 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zeppelin_of_Led (Post 7642260)
those questions plus.. how do you disable it?

Search the ECUFlash forum on here. In the mean time check this thread out:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...imination.html

Josh

ricardomotohead Oct 26, 2009 10:41 PM

I just experienced this code P0401, is there a specific time where this normally happens? any specific driving style or milage this normally occurs? my EVO VIII 03 has 75k miles on it, and I was looking forward to smog this week, but clearing the code might not necessary mean I'll pass smog, since once the code is clear it also clears all the driving records and prob end up in failure of a smog test, due to this system. Any inputs, besides actually getting it fix before my smog?

Thanks

ch53avitech Oct 26, 2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by ricardomotohead (Post 7655186)
I just experienced this code P0401, is there a specific time where this normally happens? any specific driving style or milage this normally occurs? my EVO VIII 03 has 75k miles on it, and I was looking forward to smog this week, but clearing the code might not necessary mean I'll pass smog, since once the code is clear it also clears all the driving records and prob end up in failure of a smog test, due to this system. Any inputs, besides actually getting it fix before my smog?

Thanks

I was doing a pull on some back roads when this code came up.

Honestly, you don't even need an EGR valve. You can find the EGR elimination patch in the ECU Flash forum. I did it after blowing that hose several times while doing pulls. I have my EGR valve disconnected now. I'm just waiting for the time to get a block off plate so I can remove my EGR valve. The patch works flawlessly.

ricardomotohead Oct 27, 2009 01:02 AM

how about taking your car to get smog, will the patch simulate the cycles that the ECU might trigger the EGR to work when need it? that is my main concern, since I live in california, their smog rules are a pain in the ass. I wish this code woulda pop next week, or I wish I smogged my car last week, where I wouldn't care to run my car with the light on at all times LOL (jk, I would definitely fix it but not in such a rush)

ch53avitech Oct 27, 2009 01:29 AM

Well, just to pass the smog test I'll reset the ECU. I did that when I went in for inspection.

Someone told me that all I have to do is unplug my battery to get the check engine light to turn off then drive the car for ~40-50 miles then that will clear all previous CELS that you had. I was skeptical at first until I found out for myself that it actually works. Anyone else care to chime in on this trick? I forgot exactly how many miles you have to drive the car before your CELS are cleared.

Then when your smog check is all said and done, get on that EGR patch. It'll save you headaches in the future.

srcevo8 Nov 11, 2009 04:57 PM

Driving around for around 20 mins seems to do the trick for me.

Thanks for posting that pic. I just walked out to my car and took care of this in < 5 mins.

It was tough to reach but even with the strutbar on you can get back there. A tip I would add is that the 2 little hoses (for me) were teathered together. So if you see (yeah right lol) or feel any thin hose follow it. They're almost dead center between the driver and passenger sides but more towards the driver.

EVO_MERLE Nov 11, 2009 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by NJ_evoIXgsr (Post 6017179)
I searched and saw the fix was to check for a loose hose. is there anything else anyone can suggest? I have not really noticed a lose in power. I don't beat or go hard on it. Pretty much babied so I can't tell if there's a drop in power.

I had this CEL. It was a vacume hose on the bottom of the RGE valve under your throttle body. Slip it back on and put a zip tie on it and mine was fixed. Hope that is all you need to do.

PandaIX Jan 26, 2010 03:47 PM

took it into the shop for p0401, and they concluded it was the EGR Solenoid...When I asked how they knew, their reasoning was that the lines were hooked up and intact. I'm going to see if I can investigate for myself before I allow them to pop a new $70 part in. Glad I found this thread

PandaIX Jan 26, 2010 03:52 PM

if the EGR port is clogged yet I disable the EGR, will it effect performance?

ElectricBlueIX Jan 26, 2010 07:21 PM

I just had my clutch and tranny replaced and got the EGR insufficient flow code. I'm gonna look at it tomm and check for loose lines. Hopefully that's all it is. I may just eliminate the EGR system. It won't affect performance anyway. My car is running perfectly fine with the SES light on.

SmurfZilla Jan 26, 2010 08:57 PM

Eliminate it in the ECU, remove the system when you have time (THats the last thing for me to do).

DesertEvolution Jan 30, 2010 10:12 PM

any easy way to reach the EGR valve?

distant_02 Apr 11, 2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by DesertEvolution (Post 7941998)
any easy way to reach the EGR valve?

Thats what im wondering also... my service engine soon light came on this morning, checked the code and p0401 is what came up. {thumbdwn}

NJ_evoIXgsr Apr 14, 2010 06:08 PM

this code is quite ANNOYING. i have to fix it again. i should have just tip tied it or like everyone else just did the egr elimination. i'll do it this summer when i actually have time. not working tremendous amount of overtime.

NJ_evoIXgsr Apr 15, 2010 07:18 PM

i can't find the hose for the vaccuum. anyone know where it should be coming from?

9evolution Jul 23, 2010 02:54 PM

Had same code today. went to Autozone they gave me a reader, looked it up on evom= easy and fixed. Thanks

MinusPrevious Feb 14, 2011 06:12 PM

Same code. Thought for sure it was test pipe related.

Did the deep reach around on the throttle body & sure enough the hose dangle was found.

Great thread:D

dzuest Jul 1, 2011 06:57 AM

Just got this code as well... Found this thread and fixed. The diagram is great since you're just feeling around back there and not able to see. great thread!

inkmywholebody Apr 11, 2013 09:25 PM

My CEL just came on as well, thought it was my test pipe as someone mentioned before. Come to find out I already put the non fouler on, reset the battery and the light went off. Looked back on the previous owners trip to firestone and sure enough it was the EGR valve code. ANNOYING! but simple and easy fix just ridiculous !

ablan029 Oct 29, 2013 12:36 PM

This just happened to me after a clutch install. Just found out that the nipples broke off the EGR solenoid. Damn $70 part!!

Joe Huang May 11, 2014 04:21 PM

I have a same problem. Can block the EGR? Is it work?