EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Clutch engagement changing randomly (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/365337-clutch-engagement-changing-randomly.html)

Toxin Aug 22, 2008 07:11 PM

Clutch engagement changing randomly

Hey everyone,

Another problem and here I am again, asking for help. I recently installed an Exedy Twin and it was not getting into gear properly and the car nudged a bit when putting it in to first. I opened a topic about it and got a bunch of ideas how to fix it. Anyway, adjusting the clutch pedal did the trick and the car was shifting perfectly and not moving when getting in to first gear and so on - basically, perfect. Also the engagement point was about 1,5 inches off the floor. Well, without changing anything the clutch is back to it's old state (after pedal being adjusted so I got just a bit of the screw left) and it's nudging a bit when shifting to first at a stop - again. So basically my engagement point changed back to where it was when we installed the clutch just in a few days of adjusting the clutch pedal. I had the same issue with the previous clutch too... I know that the clutch isn't fully disengaged if this is happening and that I'm basically destroying it if I don't get this fixed fast. Any idea what else I can do?

Things tried: adjusted pedal, bled the lines, new TOB.

Wicked E Aug 22, 2008 07:58 PM

Restrictor pill removed in clutch line?

-E

Mellon Racing Aug 22, 2008 08:58 PM

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=347028

Toxin Aug 23, 2008 04:29 AM

Yea Chris I read your thread a while ago, but this is a new clutch :(

Toxin Aug 23, 2008 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Wicked E (Post 6039363)
Restrictor pill removed in clutch line?

-E

No I don't think so - what exactly is the "restrictor pill"? I'm not an american and sometimes the terminology of car parts takes a while to figure out what is what:)

Actually I'll do a search on it, thanks for the input!

Ev0cRaZy Aug 23, 2008 04:43 AM

I had the same issue with my Twin Disc, worn out within 10k, so I went back with the ACT.

Toxin Aug 23, 2008 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ev0cRaZy (Post 6039922)
I had the same issue with my Twin Disc, worn out within 10k, so I went back with the ACT.

The point is that more than not people have proven that the Twin HD is a very worthwhile clutch to have, especially because of the rebuildability for 1/3 the price. I just bought mine and I'd like to get it to work properly until I reach 35093 whp which I doubt will happen on my daily driver. After all the reviews I opted for the twin disc in order to have it and rebuild it whenever needed. A clutch job in Slovenia I can get done for 250-300$. And if I get 10k on the discs and have to replace them every 10k I'm fine with that. I do about 20k per year. I launch my car let's say once per week on average with occasional drag race days. Launched this twin only once so far and I loved the way I could do that, it's just annoying with the issues I have for normal driving.

Edit: spelling :)

Ev0cRaZy Aug 23, 2008 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Toxin (Post 6039936)
The point is that more than not people have proven that the Twin HD is a very worthwhile clutch to have, especially because of the rebuildability for 1/3 the price. I just bought mine and I'd like to get it to work properly until I reach 35093 whp which I doubt will happen on my daily driver. After all the reviews I opted for the twin disc in order to have it and rebuild it whenever needed. A clutch job in Slovenia I can get done for 250-300$. And if I get 10k on the discs and have to replace them every 10k I'm fine with that. I do about 20k per year. I launch my car let's say once per week on average with occasional drag race days. Launched this twin only once so far and I loved the way I could do that, it's just annoying with the issues I have for normal driving.

Edit: spelling :)

Ok so what are you trying to tell me here? I simply gave you MY experience, I didnt need you to post a novel of "your point" which made 0 sense to me

Toxin Aug 23, 2008 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ev0cRaZy (Post 6040013)
Ok so what are you trying to tell me here? I simply gave you MY experience, I didnt need you to post a novel of "your point" which made 0 sense to me

Yea... I'll make it more understandable to you: I do not wish to go to ACT, I wish to make my Exedy to work properly. Thank you for sharing your experience though.

1NastyMR Aug 23, 2008 06:58 AM

Should of just rebuilt your twin disk

Mellon Racing Aug 23, 2008 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Toxin (Post 6039915)
Yea Chris I read your thread a while ago, but this is a new clutch :(

pretty odd for a new clutch unless you somehow managed to burn it up on a launch

4WS Tuning Aug 23, 2008 09:22 AM

Sounds like air in the line... Try bleeding the clutch Ales.

Cheers!

rawkus Aug 23, 2008 09:58 AM

It could also be a bad slave or master cylinder. Check to see if it is leaking any fluid around the clutch pedal where it adjusts and also the slave on the front of the transmission case.
Dan

Toxin Aug 23, 2008 07:38 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll be putting it on the lift tomorrow and we'll see what we can accomplish!

Toxin Aug 28, 2008 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 4WS Tuning (Post 6040400)
Sounds like air in the line... Try bleeding the clutch Ales.

Cheers!

U're a darling Tamer! We bled it. Shifts like a charm! Thanks to everyone for chiming in! Now that we've set it up properly, I understand why everyone uses an Exedy! It's beautiful!