EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Ported throttle body plate sealant (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/438430-ported-throttle-body-plate-sealant.html)

dsevo Aug 5, 2009 06:13 PM

Ported throttle body plate sealant

I have a 65mm throttle body, but it leaks air around the edges of the plate, making the idle too high. I know on the stock throttle bodies there is a blackish paint that is used to seal the edges for better idle quality. Does anyone know what to use or where to get the right stuff? Can I just use regular paint, or do I need something special? Thanks.

newimportowner Aug 5, 2009 07:51 PM

are you sure its not silacone?

dsevo Aug 5, 2009 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by newimportowner (Post 7362862)
are you sure its not silacone?

I'm not really sure what it is, but when I googled it I found someone saying its molybdenum. I'm not sure what that is, I just wanted to know if anyone on here has had a similar issue and how they solved it. Thanks.

NsinEvo8 Aug 5, 2009 08:18 PM

I think you need a gasket.. It has rubber coating on it..

dsevo Aug 5, 2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by NsinEvo8 (Post 7362966)
I think you need a gasket.. It has rubber coating on it..

I'm not sure what gasket you're referring to, but there's not supposed to be a gasket on the throttle plate afaik.

lcwjr Aug 5, 2009 09:57 PM

I think I know what you're talking about. Is the "black stuff" on the back of the throttle plate? If so, I saw the same thing on mine. It was thicker where the throttle shaft enters the throttle body. I believe that it is caused by crud getting past the throttle shaft seals. I had a small boost leak at the seals, and discovered the black crud when I took the throttle body apart to replace the seals. I cleaned the shaft, plate, etc. with carb cleaner, installed new seals, and put everything back together. Every thing works great now.

Nissan2Evo Aug 5, 2009 10:25 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about. I was having the same symptoms with a ported 65mm TB that didn't have that spots of black silicone...high idle, notchy throttle, sticking throttle. I sent it to Milspec to see what he could do with it. When I got the TB back it had the aforementioned spots of sealent on the inside of the throttle plate. It works perfectly now. My guess is the sealant is what they use to check for leaks aroudn the throttle plate.

NsinEvo8 Aug 5, 2009 11:35 PM

Oh, your talking about the butterfly valve? Is the black stuff soot?

Gary@MellonRacing Aug 6, 2009 06:21 AM

i need a pic of before and after so i can seal mine , im pretty sure i might have idle issues cause of this -...........

Kracka Aug 6, 2009 06:23 AM

Just use a very thin layer of RTV.

Aby@MIL.SPEC Aug 6, 2009 07:32 AM

-----

cij911 Aug 6, 2009 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by S2kracka (Post 7363926)
Just use a very thin layer of RTV.

A thin layer of RTV on the butterfly ??? Wow...

You can get a special paint at NAPA or specialty store, but you should not need it....Send it to Milspec if there is a leak....

Gary@MellonRacing Aug 6, 2009 07:51 AM

picsssssssssss

Creamo3 Aug 6, 2009 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cij911 (Post 7364191)
A thin layer of RTV on the butterfly ??? Wow...

You can get a special paint at NAPA or specialty store, but you should not need it....Send it to Milspec if there is a leak....

Yeah, I would hate to have RTV get sucked in.

boostedwrx Aug 6, 2009 08:23 AM

Hopefully my MilSpec throttle body doesn't expierence any of these issues!