EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   EVO 8 Axel shaft and tips (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/466827-evo-8-axel-shaft-tips.html)

Jimbolution Jan 6, 2010 07:03 AM

EVO 8 Axel shaft and tips

Hi there,

question about stock Axel shaft.

This summer with mods, my EVO will be around 400hp with a 2 step and im asking myself about the axel shaft... is suppose to resist 400hp or maybe it will be a good idea to put more stronger ? some person said that there company that take the stock one and reinforce them.... i want your advice about this.

Next question, im searching about the next mods for my EVO... i will have 1000cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, ACT clutch kit, BOV, K&N cold air, tripod with guage, programmation.... what is recommended ? is there my radiator to put a bigger one ? O2 ? i think that a water-metanol kit is a good investement... or maybye buy some cams ? you see ! im not sure :p

i just want some advice... what will you do if you were me...

Murf Jan 6, 2010 07:21 AM

no need for bigger injectors yet.

JohnDoe1984 Jan 6, 2010 08:39 AM

You can upgrade drivelines and axles if you want but. 400whp is really not too much for these parts. The stock ones are very strong.

There's people running 700+ horsepower on the stock axles and drivelines.

Jimbolution Jan 6, 2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984 (Post 7860871)
You can upgrade drivelines and axles if you want but. 400whp is really not too much for these parts. The stock ones are very strong.

There's people running 700+ horsepower on the stock axles and drivelines.

ohhh yeah :eek: as this far... but im sure that's possible that my axels broke by a unlucky way with the 2 step...

Jimbolution Jan 6, 2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Murf (Post 7860644)
no need for bigger injectors yet.

so what're you recommendation...?

ch53avitech Jan 6, 2010 02:54 PM

Stock axles will be fine for 400hp, forever. Period. I'd be more worried about your transfer case...

As for your next mod. We can't suggest anything without knowing what your end expectations for your car are. Will it be a daily driver? time attack? auto-x?

ch53avitech Jan 6, 2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7861089)
so what're you recommendation...?

For 400hp? 860cc's should be fine. If your going to stop at 400hp then you'll be good, if you ever plan on exploring further into your quest for more power then get 1200cc's.

JohnDoe1984 Jan 6, 2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7861085)
ohhh yeah :eek: as this far... but im sure that's possible that my axels broke by a unlucky way with the 2 step...

You should probably upgrade your rear driveshaft bushings. The weak link is going to be the transmission and the transfer case especially.

Jimbolution Jan 7, 2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ch53avitech (Post 7862278)
As for your next mod. We can't suggest anything without knowing what your end expectations for your car are. Will it be a daily driver? time attack? auto-x?

that my summer daily driver and my drag car too... so i want to upgrade it until the limit that i will evaluate dangerous to drive it on the road... but to put number on that sentence, i will say about 800 hp...

Jimbolution Jan 7, 2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by ch53avitech (Post 7862293)
For 400hp? 860cc's should be fine. If your going to stop at 400hp then you'll be good, if you ever plan on exploring further into your quest for more power then get 1200cc's.

1000cc isn't that enough ? im sure that these injector will easily good for 700hp ? else it will be the 1600cc

Jimbolution Jan 7, 2010 10:32 AM

i check a Drag Race Rear Differential Kit on AMS Performance... but for 400hp... i don't need it but im suppose that after that, this kit would be perfect for a live time ? it come with the axels too.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...mance.com.html

for transfer case..... im not sure if i a need it before 500-600hp ... is there some people had experience with broke transfer case :D

ch53avitech Jan 7, 2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7864498)
1000cc isn't that enough ? im sure that these injector will easily good for 700hp ? else it will be the 1600cc

Depending on what fuel you plan on using...you are correct, 1000cc's will provide enough fuel for a 700hp car if your using 93 octane. I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to foreign fuels. But if your using E85 then I'd get 1600's for your power goal.

ch53avitech Jan 7, 2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbolution (Post 7865030)
i check a Drag Race Rear Differential Kit on AMS Performance... but for 400hp... i don't need it but im suppose that after that, this kit would be perfect for a live time ? it come with the axels too.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...mance.com.html

for transfer case..... im not sure if i a need it before 500-600hp ... is there some people had experience with broke transfer case :D

I'd blow my money elsewhere. The stock rear end is pretty beefy. I'd just get the rear differential rebuilt to handle your power goal.

If you know how to launch, your axles will be fine.

Get your transfer case rebuilt before 500hp. I blew mine up when I was at 340lbs/tq.

Jimbolution Jan 8, 2010 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ch53avitech (Post 7866136)
I'd blow my money elsewhere. The stock rear end is pretty beefy. I'd just get the rear differential rebuilt to handle your power goal.

If you know how to launch, your axles will be fine.

Get your transfer case rebuilt before 500hp. I blew mine up when I was at 340lbs/tq.

when your said rebuilt, you mean upgrade ? (sorry im french canadian :lol:) or just take the stock part and put some upgrade or change all the transfer case for a Shepherd Racing Transmission for example

StreetThisEvo Jan 8, 2010 05:53 AM

I finally snapped a rear axle this year. But that was after 500+ passes since I bought the car new. With that power you mention I wouldn't even waste your money.