EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   MAPertormance SST Turbo (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/470825-mapertormance-sst-turbo.html)

EvolutinIX Jan 27, 2010 10:32 AM

MAPertormance SST Turbo

Does anyone run this turbo, and if so what kind of numbers did you produce? Anyone know the lbs/min of this turbo and how it compares to the bbk full and lite? I searched for threads but only found one with no dyno sheets, any info on this would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

YogSaahoth Jan 27, 2010 11:02 AM

yea theres only a handful of people ive seen running this turbo...it seems to be comparable to bbk/green and MAP is an awesome shop so it should be reliable. ur best bet would be to call MAP to get the specifics since this forum has limited info for this turbo

MR Turco Jan 27, 2010 11:05 AM

I'd also like to see some more data on it. I saw a lot of discussion and some dyno charts from prototypes but not too much since release.

scheides Jan 27, 2010 11:12 AM

Not a ton of data on it but its pretty decent bang/buck. IMHO BBK Full is a better option but if you're looking to save a few bucks, go for it.

EvolutinIX Jan 27, 2010 11:26 AM

I was looking to be 450 on 91 octane but I think 400 on pump and 450 on 91 and meth is more realistic. Do you all think I can get there on the sst? If not ill be going bbk lite or tomei. Of all three the bbk is the only one without an upgraded turbine wheel. So I think the sst is the best value in my price range(1300). Is this a real goal with any of these turbos? Very excited to make a decision, quick replies would be great! Thanks guys!

scheides Jan 27, 2010 11:38 AM

400 what, whp? hp? on a dynojet or something else? I'd research what you want, then adjust your budget to comply. If I did it all over again I'd do a BBK Full again, even if it is a bit more than these others listed here...it is by far more proven and worth the extra money. Save an extra few hundred bucks and do it right the first time.

EvolutinIX Jan 27, 2010 12:03 PM

Whp on a dynojet as the car stands it put down 330 whp before the mani and o2 housing. I'd like the bbk full but I have about 2k and need to acct for $250 for injectors $100 for a walbro and about $400 for the tune and dyno time leaving $1250. I honestly think with both wheels(comp and turbine) upgraded the sst or the tomei is the best in my price range. More thought please! Thanks fellas.

scheides Jan 27, 2010 01:19 PM

If you only have $1250 to spend on the turbo then honestly I'd just wait. There are unforseen costs and more things you could do like porting...I see you're planning on using your tax return for this (sig)...have you considered doing a handful of other mods that would let you stay more in this budget? Examples include ebay short shifter, front motor mount, cams, or hey....Aquamist? :) The stock turbo is a TON of fun on high boost man!

I say just save up a few hundred more, do it right the first time. If you order the BBK Full with your tax return money, you'd still have enough $$ for injectors and a fuel pump. By the time you get them all installed, you could have a few hundred bucks saved up for a good tune!

RockmanX Jan 27, 2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 7930911)
If you only have $1250 to spend on the turbo then honestly I'd just wait. There are unforseen costs and more things you could do like porting...I see you're planning on using your tax return for this (sig)...have you considered doing a handful of other mods that would let you stay more in this budget? Examples include ebay short shifter, front motor mount, cams, or hey....Aquamist? :) The stock turbo is a TON of fun on high boost man!

I say just save up a few hundred more, do it right the first time. If you order the BBK Full with your tax return money, you'd still have enough $$ for injectors and a fuel pump. By the time you get them all installed, you could have a few hundred bucks saved up for a good tune!

have to agree somewhat although i would say HTA Green but the bbk gets the job done. if i were you to be honest a turbo upgrade is not going to do anything without supporting mods. I would get the supporting mods first and SAVE SAVE SAVE for a better turbo the sst is unproven i know people with it but having issues with the car(non turbo related) holding up testing so i cant recommend it now bbk full or hta green plus supporting mods and ported as stated would be the smarter route have you thought about needing a clutch to hold all this power LOL

darwin_evo Jan 27, 2010 02:37 PM

SST is a great turbo. at 7000rpm, 22psi, 2.3L engine, it's showing 2160HZ (MAF reading). When i was still on the 2.0L engine i would see full boost (29 psi) at 3700rpm, compared to 3500rpm with the evo 9 stock turbo. Now on the 2.3L engine i see full boost (29 psi also) at around 3250rpm.

All in all, I would say this turbo flows around 12-13% more than the stock evo 9 turbo while sacrificing abt 200rpm spool.

Considering it's abt $500 cheaper than the bbk / GreenHTA, It's a great performance/price turbo.

EvolutinIX Jan 27, 2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by RockmanX (Post 7931108)
have to agree somewhat although i would say HTA Green but the bbk gets the job done. if i were you to be honest a turbo upgrade is not going to do anything without supporting mods. I would get the supporting mods first and SAVE SAVE SAVE for a better turbo the sst is unproven i know people with it but having issues with the car(non turbo related) holding up testing so i cant recommend it now bbk full or hta green plus supporting mods and ported as stated would be the smarter route have you thought about needing a clutch to hold all this power LOL

I have an ACT HD rated at 508 ft/lbs will that hold all the power?

aka.ralliart15 Jan 27, 2010 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by EvolutinIX (Post 7931748)
I have an ACT HD rated at 508 ft/lbs will that hold all the power?

ACT clutches are overrated, when I was on E85 and the stock turbo it used to lock me out of 3rd and 4th gear at the track. I even had motor mounts, shifter bushings and a heavier shift knob. ACT are fine for the street but they suck for the track. The 6-puck is a much better than the street btw.

fromWRXtoEVO Jan 27, 2010 07:41 PM

I spent sometime the last 3 days reading/collecting data on this turbo and the fact is that it is a very unknon turbo, very few people running it and the manufacturer(MAP) not giving much info on it(maybe fearing that the competition would take advantage of it).

In another post I have seen someone making perhaps false claims that this turbo was made under chinese standards but again that was someone's opinion. MAP should really spit the beans and give us all the details.

Carlos

Levar Mar 17, 2010 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by darwin_evo (Post 7931144)
SST is a great turbo. at 7000rpm, 22psi, 2.3L engine, it's showing 2160HZ (MAF reading). When i was still on the 2.0L engine i would see full boost (29 psi) at 3700rpm, compared to 3500rpm with the evo 9 stock turbo. Now on the 2.3L engine i see full boost (29 psi also) at around 3250rpm. All in all, I would say this turbo flows around 12-13% more than the stock evo 9 turbo while sacrificing abt 200rpm spool. Considering it's abt $500 cheaper than the bbk / GreenHTA, It's a great performance/price turbo.

This is what I've been looking for. PM'ing you for more 2.3L / SST details. {thumbup}

RockmanX Mar 17, 2010 06:11 PM

just get a exedy twin and be done with it pure_evo i cant believe your even considering this turbo seriously bro