EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Valvoline VR1 20w-50 Race Oil? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/494528-valvoline-vr1-20w-50-race-oil.html)

3gEclipseTurbo May 25, 2010 10:48 PM

Valvoline VR1 20w-50 Race Oil?

Anyone use this oil? A local race shop the specializes in turbo v8's told me to run this. He said as long as I keep up with the oil changes every 2500-3000miles its better than running a full synthetic, just that ill have to let the car warm up longer as its a thicker oil. As this oil is made for high rpm and heat fluctuation from running high hp and boost. I figured Id give it a try. Thoughts?

Ted B May 26, 2010 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo (Post 8343090)
A local race shop the specializes in turbo v8's told me to run this. He said as long as I keep up with the oil changes every 2500-3000miles its better than running a full synthetic ...

...which just goes to show you why you cannot believe everything you're told.

Synthetic oils have superior thermal stability, which is especially important to engines that deliver high specific output (e.g. turbo engines). There are no advantages to using conventional oils (aside from price), only disadvantages.

ch53avitech May 26, 2010 01:14 AM

Anyone use this oil? A local race shop the specializes in turbo v8's told me to run this. He said as long as I keep up with the oil changes every 2500-3000miles its better than running a full synthetic, just that ill have to let the car warm up longer as its a thicker oil. As this oil is made for high rpm and heat fluctuation from running high hp and boost. I figured Id give it a try. Thoughts?

I use this oil. It's what David Buschur recommended me to use with the new motor. I'm using Brad Penn 20w-50 now. I'm going to switch back to the Valvoline for my next oil change.

wreckless969 May 26, 2010 01:17 AM

Bottom of the page, the valvoline used whats the VR1 which is stated in a few posts after the one with the test.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...il-best-3.html

vroomevo May 26, 2010 08:08 PM

i use mobil1 15W50 on 2.3 stroker motor.

AWD Motorsports May 26, 2010 08:10 PM

We have used this oil when we are short Brad Penn and it has always worked very well.. We change the oil on built motor more often though.. Also on E85 we change the oil much more often also..

Mike

wreckless969 May 26, 2010 09:05 PM

About how often for built and e85?

AWD Motorsports May 26, 2010 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by wreckless969 (Post 8346614)
About how often for built and e85?

I like to do it every 1000-1500 miles or once a month.. E85 dilutes the oil so frequent changes are not a bad thing to do.. 40.00/mo is cheap insurance

Mike

wreckless969 May 26, 2010 09:28 PM

Yeah cause i plan on running e85 most of the time. I thought there was some oils that were meant to work with e85 so it didn't wear out as fast.

dambikeracer May 26, 2010 09:44 PM

For cars running E-85, I ready by the engineers at Mobil 1 said that Diesel Oil is the best to run because of the high level of detergents. So I run the the Amsoil HDD 5w-30, it's closer to a 10w-40. You might look into it:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx

buchnerj May 26, 2010 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by ch53avitech (Post 8343277)
I use this oil. It's what David Buschur recommended me to use with the new motor. I'm using Brad Penn 20w-50 now. I'm going to switch back to the Valvoline for my next oil change.

BR told me to always use the Brad Penn 20W50 in my 2.1. I just sent the first oil change on the new setup away for oil analysis. We'll see how it goes. I have heard nothing but good things about the Brad Penn Green oil...

AWD Motorsports May 26, 2010 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by buchnerj (Post 8346763)
BR told me to always use the Brad Penn 20W50 in my 2.1. I just sent the first oil change on the new setup away for oil analysis. We'll see how it goes. I have heard nothing but good things about the Brad Penn Green oil...

Id like to see those results also if you dont mind keeping us updated.. {thumbup}

Mike

wreckless969 May 26, 2010 10:00 PM

Yeah me too, I'm gonna use whatever David says to use considering hes building the engine.

Not to keen on 1500mi oil changes but oh well I guess.

ch53avitech May 27, 2010 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by buchnerj (Post 8346763)

Yeah, he told me to use Valvoline or Brad Penn. I didn't want to wait for my oil to get to me so I bought the Valvoline from Advanced Auto Parts. I'm going to try to start using Brad Penn though.

apagan01 May 27, 2010 03:51 PM

i love it when a mechanic says, ! yeah your ok driving with a broken axle boost for a few months ! you maybe and you maby not if you find out that your axle came off the cup and now the tire doesnt turn.

that why i love data because data show this mechanic to be a liar, synthetics are proven to have many more advantages over dyno oil these days this topic is a no brainer.

Originally Posted by Ted B (Post 8343263)
...which just goes to show you why you cannot believe everything you're told.

Synthetic oils have superior thermal stability, which is especially important to engines that deliver high specific output (e.g. turbo engines). There are no advantages to using conventional oils (aside from price), only disadvantages.

Ted, i think that sumized it in very simple terms without me trying to talk over everyones head without oil talk :)