EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Evo VIII stock, should I imitate turbo timer? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/503726-evo-viii-stock-should-i-imitate-turbo-timer.html)

Beluga Jul 15, 2010 05:08 PM

Evo VIII stock, should I imitate turbo timer?

My car is stock except the turbo back exhaust, so I was wondering if I should warm up the engine before driving and if I should leave the engine running for some time after a ride, like the turbo timer does?

white_evo27 Jul 15, 2010 05:11 PM

doesnt hurt

SLO-EVO Jul 15, 2010 05:28 PM

Warm up the engine - absolutely.

Letting the car cool down a little - Yes. I used to live on a Military installation, so after getting off the freeway and driving around on base, that was my cool down period as the speed limit was only 25 MPH. I would sit in the car ~30 seconds for safety's sake.

jam05pr Jul 17, 2010 10:48 AM

def wouldn't hurt to warm it up at start and to let it idle for a bit before turning off

sparky Jul 17, 2010 12:25 PM

If you've been driving it hard and on boost then drive it at about 3000 RPM for a mile or two before pulling into your garage. I think that driving off boost at relatively low RPM's is better than letting the engine idle for extended periods of time as a turbo timer would. Extended engine idle periods produces unburned contaminants in the engine oil.

As far as warming it up is concerned, I just fire it up in the morning and drive off wile keeping engine revs under 2000 RPM until the engine oil has a chance to reach operating temperature.

An oil temp gauge is a useful device.

4g63Moon Jul 26, 2010 01:32 AM

def warm up the engine lol If ur hitting full boost I would also let it sit for a bit.
I have the greddy full auto turbo timer. Love it!

tro0xazn Jul 26, 2010 02:27 AM

Well for me my car runs like straight **** when its cold, so i just let it sit for a few minutes until the temperature hits C then i start driving, and no passing 3k rpm before the oil is at the correct temp.
As for shutting off you could wait like 30 seconds or a minute if you want to if you've been driving it really hard, i don't think its that big of a deal with just boost here and there.
Or if you've already been driving for like 5 minutes normally after driving it hard then it doesn't even really matter.

Evo-B Jul 26, 2010 07:28 AM

I thought you weren't really supposed to let your car idle up to temp. I don't think the manual addresses this, but I know on my last car the manual said keep it under 3k until it got to operating temp, it was a turbocharged 4 cyl engine. I just keep it under 3k. It only takes a minute or two to warm up any way.

SyZyGy1394 Jul 26, 2010 07:39 AM

If I have been off boost within around 3 minutes of my destination, I just let it idle for a few seconds before I turn it off.

If I have been on boost within a few minutes of my destination, I will let it idle till the fans kick on. I will then wait for the fans to turn off before I shut off the engine.

If I have been romping the sht out of it, then I will let it go through a few fan cycles. :)

FJF Jul 26, 2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Evo-B (Post 8525746)
I thought you weren't really supposed to let your car idle up to temp. I don't think the manual addresses this, but I know on my last car the manual said keep it under 3k until it got to operating temp, it was a turbocharged 4 cyl engine. I just keep it under 3k. It only takes a minute or two to warm up any way.

I hope you're not gauging this by the water temp. Oil temp usually takes a bit longer to come up.

Evo-B Jul 27, 2010 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by FJF (Post 8526045)
I hope you're not gauging this by the water temp. Oil temp usually takes a bit longer to come up.

No no.... I am just trying to say that it doesn't take long and as long as you don't rice around your ride right after starting it nothing bad is gonna happen to the engine:D