Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo VIII stock, should I imitate turbo timer?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VIII stock, should I imitate turbo timer?

My car is stock except the turbo back exhaust, so I was wondering if I should warm up the engine before driving and if I should leave the engine running for some time after a ride, like the turbo timer does?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

doesnt hurt
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warm up the engine - absolutely.

Letting the car cool down a little - Yes. I used to live on a Military installation, so after getting off the freeway and driving around on base, that was my cool down period as the speed limit was only 25 MPH. I would sit in the car ~30 seconds for safety's sake.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:48 AM

def wouldn't hurt to warm it up at start and to let it idle for a bit before turning off
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you've been driving it hard and on boost then drive it at about 3000 RPM for a mile or two before pulling into your garage. I think that driving off boost at relatively low RPM's is better than letting the engine idle for extended periods of time as a turbo timer would. Extended engine idle periods produces unburned contaminants in the engine oil.

As far as warming it up is concerned, I just fire it up in the morning and drive off wile keeping engine revs under 2000 RPM until the engine oil has a chance to reach operating temperature.

An oil temp gauge is a useful device.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:32 AM
Evolving Member

def warm up the engine lol If ur hitting full boost I would also let it sit for a bit.
I have the greddy full auto turbo timer. Love it!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:27 AM

Well for me my car runs like straight **** when its cold, so i just let it sit for a few minutes until the temperature hits C then i start driving, and no passing 3k rpm before the oil is at the correct temp.
As for shutting off you could wait like 30 seconds or a minute if you want to if you've been driving it really hard, i don't think its that big of a deal with just boost here and there.
Or if you've already been driving for like 5 minutes normally after driving it hard then it doesn't even really matter.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:28 AM

I thought you weren't really supposed to let your car idle up to temp. I don't think the manual addresses this, but I know on my last car the manual said keep it under 3k until it got to operating temp, it was a turbocharged 4 cyl engine. I just keep it under 3k. It only takes a minute or two to warm up any way.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I have been off boost within around 3 minutes of my destination, I just let it idle for a few seconds before I turn it off.

If I have been on boost within a few minutes of my destination, I will let it idle till the fans kick on. I will then wait for the fans to turn off before I shut off the engine.

If I have been romping the sht out of it, then I will let it go through a few fan cycles.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:07 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo-B
I thought you weren't really supposed to let your car idle up to temp. I don't think the manual addresses this, but I know on my last car the manual said keep it under 3k until it got to operating temp, it was a turbocharged 4 cyl engine. I just keep it under 3k. It only takes a minute or two to warm up any way.
I hope you're not gauging this by the water temp. Oil temp usually takes a bit longer to come up.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
I hope you're not gauging this by the water temp. Oil temp usually takes a bit longer to come up.
No no.... I am just trying to say that it doesn't take long and as long as you don't rice around your ride right after starting it nothing bad is gonna happen to the engine