EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Underhood Fuel Pressure Gauge (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/559947-underhood-fuel-pressure-gauge.html)

blknblubkrdude Jun 9, 2011 07:25 PM

Underhood Fuel Pressure Gauge

I recently got my setup tuned, and about 500 miles later, after a hard 1-2 pull, my car is running poorly.

I do have a new DW300 pump in there to feed the FIC 880 injectors.

Even at a light load (cruising in 2nd gear), the car will go full lean, and miss occasionally. If I get into partial boost, it sometimes will hold it. If I get deep into it, full lean again, and nothing but missfires.

I parked the car, got my fuel pressure gauge, opened the hood, and couldn't believe the car does not have a schraeder port for testing fuel pressure.
I see in my Mitsu service manual there is a special tool, but I know I will not be able to find it, and if I do, it would be outrageously expensive.

What type of underhood gauge are you guys using?

Thanks! :helpme:

EvoDan2004 Jun 9, 2011 07:36 PM

i have a perrin fuel rail that has a spot on it ''as do most aftermarket'' fuel rails for a FPG. maybe buy a fuel rail and go from there.

rishi_j Nov 15, 2011 04:58 AM

Were you able to resolve your problem? I seem to be experiencing the similar effects.

blknblubkrdude Nov 15, 2011 05:06 AM

I am suprised I did not update this thread.

Yes I did resolve my problem fortunately.

It happened to be that the pressure relief on the fuel pump had stuck open, letting most of the fuel dump back to tank lowering flow and pressure.

Dearschwerks took very good care of me. I sent the FP in and they had it tested, resolved, and back to me in the matter of 2-3 days.

I definitely will be purchasing an aftermarket fuel rail this winter so I can plumb in a gauge safely.

sparky Nov 15, 2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude (Post 9381619)
....I parked the car, got my fuel pressure gauge, opened the hood, and couldn't believe the car does not have a schraeder port for testing fuel pressure....

Aww, Me too! Coming as i do, from a Buick GN background which GM saw fit to provide with a shraeder valve on the fuel rail, I can sympathize with you.:)

blknblubkrdude Nov 15, 2011 05:20 AM

Yeah it is a definite PITA. I worked for Cadillac/GM and noticed a lot of vehicles were phasing out the test port. I don't know if they consider it a leak point, or if they think their fuel system is invincible?

rishi_j Nov 20, 2013 04:49 AM

I got a similar problem again this week. While driving with the ac on, the car would bog to the point that it would stall, on switching the ac off it would run fine. A day after while attempting to start, it would run for a few seconds and die off. The problem was the walbro i had installed that seemed to be shot. The pump works but doesnt give me the output pressure i require