Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Underhood Fuel Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underhood Fuel Pressure Gauge

I recently got my setup tuned, and about 500 miles later, after a hard 1-2 pull, my car is running poorly.

I do have a new DW300 pump in there to feed the FIC 880 injectors.

Even at a light load (cruising in 2nd gear), the car will go full lean, and miss occasionally. If I get into partial boost, it sometimes will hold it. If I get deep into it, full lean again, and nothing but missfires.

I parked the car, got my fuel pressure gauge, opened the hood, and couldn't believe the car does not have a schraeder port for testing fuel pressure.
I see in my Mitsu service manual there is a special tool, but I know I will not be able to find it, and if I do, it would be outrageously expensive.

What type of underhood gauge are you guys using?

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i have a perrin fuel rail that has a spot on it ''as do most aftermarket'' fuel rails for a FPG. maybe buy a fuel rail and go from there.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:58 AM

Were you able to resolve your problem? I seem to be experiencing the similar effects.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

I am suprised I did not update this thread.

Yes I did resolve my problem fortunately.

It happened to be that the pressure relief on the fuel pump had stuck open, letting most of the fuel dump back to tank lowering flow and pressure.

Dearschwerks took very good care of me. I sent the FP in and they had it tested, resolved, and back to me in the matter of 2-3 days.

I definitely will be purchasing an aftermarket fuel rail this winter so I can plumb in a gauge safely.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude
....I parked the car, got my fuel pressure gauge, opened the hood, and couldn't believe the car does not have a schraeder port for testing fuel pressure....
Aww, Me too! Coming as i do, from a Buick GN background which GM saw fit to provide with a shraeder valve on the fuel rail, I can sympathize with you.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah it is a definite PITA. I worked for Cadillac/GM and noticed a lot of vehicles were phasing out the test port. I don't know if they consider it a leak point, or if they think their fuel system is invincible?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:49 AM

I got a similar problem again this week. While driving with the ac on, the car would bog to the point that it would stall, on switching the ac off it would run fine. A day after while attempting to start, it would run for a few seconds and die off. The problem was the walbro i had installed that seemed to be shot. The pump works but doesnt give me the output pressure i require