EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   HKS 7460 GTII 'Kai' - Failures? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/595679-hks-7460-gtii-kai-failures.html)

EvocentriK Jan 30, 2012 06:43 AM

HKS 7460 GTII 'Kai' - Failures?

The original HKS 7460 GTII had plenty of failures for various reasons.

Has anyone seen or heard of the revised Kai version having any issues at all?

MikeB@FFTEC Jan 30, 2012 11:21 AM

I know I haven't heard of any.

JohnBradley Jan 30, 2012 11:30 AM

Specifically the WG flapper warping and not sealing. After we had 2 of the original 7460s do that we have shy'd away from them for road racing. Curious if the KAI has done anything like that to anyone...the original for that matter. Maybe we got the only 2 that did it?

EvocentriK Jan 30, 2012 08:04 PM

Yes I'd heard of the wastegate flapper warping issues too. I was concerned as I head HKS only upgraded the metallurgy of the flapper actuator, but then they also make a vague statement about 4 times improved heat resistance of the unit. This might mean everything in/around the hotside.

The bearing also appeared to have failed on a few and there seemed to be other modes of failure also. Hard to discern from pics though the actual order of events that occurred during the failures.

They could be a brilliant turbo if they have corrected the issues they were having and I'm seriously tempted to get one. However I do road race style driving and with sometimes hours of spirited driving I'm worried about reliability.

EvocentriK Jan 31, 2012 04:17 AM

Anyone else have anything to add?

meckert Jan 31, 2012 04:31 AM

Can you substantiate your claims--? I have read a few threads that were not conclusive and there are a couple mentioned here. So flapper failure? What were the serial numbers affected? When did they make the change ( serial numbers)? Is there a post from HKS on this somewhere? Asking as I have one--want to know what to look for and since HKS pulled out of the states what the options are to get it fixed if it fails? Is there a kit for the flapper alternative replacement?

EvocentriK Jan 31, 2012 06:26 AM

Its my understanding HKS insist you deal with warranty through the dealer you purchased from. Perhaps they can contact HKS japan for you.

Aaron I'm sure can describe the wastegate flapper warping but as far as I have read, its as described. They warp, fail to seal and you get delayed spool/lower boost.

I've pm'd a few guys that had them and no one still has one, they all died one way or other.

Annoyingly its THE best turbo for my application based on reported performance and specs, I'm just very wary of them now. The kai supposedly addressed the issues being made 4 times more heat resistant whatever that means, and having a reinforced? CHRA, but HKS are typically close lipped about it all and its hard to tell what was actually done.

Thats why I wanted reports from Kai owners confirming there is no issues or otherwise. Im this close to getting a BBK and giving up a few hundred RPM spool...

R/TErnie Jan 31, 2012 09:09 AM

I don't think the flapper or the housing was the problem.

I think people didn't adjust their wga rod when it relaxed (poor wastegate actuator rod design IMO) that caused excess heat gonig through the wastegate flapper opening and therefore warping the flapper/opening.

My HKS failed recently... oil seal pushed itself out.

SPANKED Jan 31, 2012 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by R/TErnie (Post 9930236)

I think people didn't adjust their wga rod when it relaxed (poor wastegate actuator rod design IMO) that caused excess heat gonig through the wastegate flapper opening and therefore warping the flapper/opening.

Intersting...

This thread really bums me out since I haven't installed mine yet. Really like the turbo cause of the BB reliability, but now I'm scared to install it...

R/TErnie Jan 31, 2012 09:32 AM

I'm sending it back to HKS this week hopefully.

nollij Jan 31, 2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by R/TErnie (Post 9930236)

Would this have to do because of the higher oil pressure from the oil housing rather than taking the oil feed from the head? The HKS has an orifice plate on the incoming banjo bolt (from what I understand) designed around the oil pressure coming from the head, not the oil pressure coming from the oil filter housing. Depending on the flow, you could be introducing oil pressure significantly higher to the turbo than what was intended by HKS when they put that orifice plate in in the first place.

R/TErnie Jan 31, 2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by nollij (Post 9930555)
Would this have to do because of the higher oil pressure from the oil housing rather than taking the oil feed from the head? The HKS has an orifice plate on the incoming banjo bolt (from what I understand) designed around the oil pressure coming from the head, not the oil pressure coming from the oil filter housing. Depending on the flow, you could be introducing oil pressure significantly higher to the turbo than what was intended by HKS when they put that orifice plate in in the first place.

I put the journal bearing restrictor filter from FP in the feed line. So it should be seeing near OEM oil pressure... BEFORE the HKS oil filter inline.

I spoke to HKS USA and Sean Ivey about it before I ran it that way.

JohnBradley Jan 31, 2012 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by meckert (Post 9929674)
Can you substantiate your claims--? I have read a few threads that were not conclusive and there are a couple mentioned here. So flapper failure? What were the serial numbers affected? When did they make the change ( serial numbers)? Is there a post from HKS on this somewhere? Asking as I have one--want to know what to look for and since HKS pulled out of the states what the options are to get it fixed if it fails? Is there a kit for the flapper alternative replacement?

I have a picture of it somewhere but it was definitely warped. I am not one that normally makes claims for no apparent reason. It was not the WGA needing tightened, it warped and wouldnt seal.

Aaron

meckert Jan 31, 2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley (Post 9930770)
I have a picture of it somewhere but it was definitely warped. I am not one that normally makes claims for no apparent reason. It was not the WGA needing tightened, it warped and wouldnt seal.

Aaron

Agreed> if I offended, I am sorry--that was not my intent. Your post are always relevant. Until this thread there had been very little info on HKS failures-- the 2 that Ernie eluded too and then these...so a hand full all in all from what I can tell.. certainly not close to what we have seen from other turbo’s this past year on this forum.

My point is, bad new spreads faster then good news. The thread suggest a problem with turbos before a certain fix-- I just asked for some info to support the notion that ealrier HKS turbos are bad or could go bad due to a specific problem-- and to identify the KAI turbos-- . Lacking seeing bad news before now and running the turbo for the last 9mos or so with no problems, I would say --as has been suggest earlier in this thread that there my be other reasons for the failures and that these failures are very limited and no representative of all HKS turbos build before the KAI.

Just want to know if I'm wrong and need to make some choices as an owner--

Thx

R/TErnie Jan 31, 2012 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by meckert (Post 9931053)
Agreed> if I offended, I am sorry--that was not my intent. Your post are always relevant. Until this thread there had been very little info on HKS failures-- the 2 that Ernie eluded too and then these...so a hand full all in all from what I can tell.. certainly not close to what we have seen from other turbo’s this past year on this forum.

My point is, bad new spreads faster then good news. The thread suggest a problem with turbos before a certain fix-- I just asked for some info to support the notion that ealrier HKS turbos are bad or could go bad due to a specific problem-- and to identify the KAI turbos-- . Lacking seeing bad news before now and running the turbo for the last 9mos or so with no problems, I would say --as has been suggest earlier in this thread that there my be other reasons for the failures and that these failures are very limited and no representative of all HKS turbos build before the KAI.

Just want to know if I'm wrong and need to make some choices as an owner--

Thx

I think Aaron was referring to me :) I've been stubborn about admitting there may be a material issue with. Now that they've specifically come out with the Kai to address these issue. I owe Aaron the WIN and a "you told me so."