EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Oil leak around upper timing cover (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/737200-oil-leak-around-upper-timing-cover.html)

asu11 Feb 8, 2017 08:18 PM

Oil leak around upper timing cover

I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where this leak is coming from. I have a clear upper timing cover so there's a light mist of oil on the inside of it after I clean it off and drive around.

Seems to be more on the intake cam side. (Evo9 so has the mivec gear)

I also see its fairly wet at the top left of the lower timing cover and also the top left of the upper cover. I took the lower cover off and everything in the timing area looked clean except some oil at the very bottom which is probably from the up top leak over time.

Things I have done already:
Changed both cam seals
RTV on valve cover
Thread sealer on motor mount bolt that goes into oil galley
Thread sealer on hydraulic tensioner bolts
New oring and bolt for mivec gear

Ideas I have that it could be:
Leak from head gasket area?
Mivec gear?

Any ideas? :confused:

SeenBean Jul 26, 2021 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by asu11 (Post 11709096)
I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where this leak is coming from. I have a clear upper timing cover so there's a light mist of oil on the inside of it after I clean it off and drive around.

Seems to be more on the intake cam side. (Evo9 so has the mivec gear)

I also see its fairly wet at the top left of the lower timing cover and also the top left of the upper cover. I took the lower cover off and everything in the timing area looked clean except some oil at the very bottom which is probably from the up top leak over time.

Things I have done already:
Changed both cam seals
RTV on valve cover
Thread sealer on motor mount bolt that goes into oil galley
Thread sealer on hydraulic tensioner bolts
New oring and bolt for mivec gear

Ideas I have that it could be:
Leak from head gasket area?
Mivec gear?

Any ideas? :confused:

what was the outcome of this ?

I have the same issue. I have a clear cam gear cover and this gets a fine mist of oil sprayed on it on the mivec cam gear side. Losing very small amounts of oil on each drive. Enough to cause a few drops of oil on the floor. Oil seems to run from the Mivec gear area all the way down the side of the block and then soaks everything in oil. Head Gasket replaced not long ago. Cam seals replaced not long ago. Value cover gasket new with dabs on corners. Occurs with both factory ventilation and catch can setup. Cant see any cracks on the value cover. The timing belt doesn't appear to get wet with oil.

mazdabish Jul 26, 2021 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SeenBean (Post 11938667)
what was the outcome of this ?

I have the same issue. I have a clear cam gear cover and this gets a fine mist of oil sprayed on it on the mivec cam gear side. Losing very small amounts of oil on each drive. Enough to cause a few drops of oil on the floor. Oil seems to run from the Mivec gear area all the way down the side of the block and then soaks everything in oil. Head Gasket replaced not long ago. Cam seals replaced not long ago. Value cover gasket new with dabs on corners. Occurs with both factory ventilation and catch can setup. Cant see any cracks on the value cover. The timing belt doesn't appear to get wet with oil.

Gasket on MIVEC gear might be bad if it's misting (implies it's getting flung around very fast) on the cam gear cover. Not a replaceable gasket as far as I know and your fix might be a new cam gear. If it was the cam seals I think they would be wet/seeping.

hutch959 Jul 26, 2021 04:24 PM

if its spraying.. its got pressure on it... coming from the cam gear.
either the cap seal or the cam gear itself.