EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Manifold question (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/739858-manifold-question.html)

oscarquinones May 6, 2017 05:37 PM

Manifold question

How you doing everyone I just need some suggestions. I am currently have a stock frame manifold none ported on my evo ix with a SS JB Black. A friend sold me a tubular manifold the branch is DMe manifold. I never heard about it. I want to change my manifold I feel like is holding me up. I am putting ported intake and throttle this days so I need to know what you guys think if I should put it on or there are not going to crack of something or go with something different.. thanks

oscarquinones May 7, 2017 12:15 PM

Anyone suggestion.

Teal2nnr May 7, 2017 04:14 PM

Your intake manifold isn't holding you back. Your money can be better spent elsewhere. Usually about 600whp is when you want to start considering a manifold. If you're really wanted to buy a manifold, look into an AMS or Magnus case mani. I run an AMS as I think the fit and finish is slightly better.

oscarquinones May 8, 2017 05:57 AM

I am not talking about intake manifold is the exhaust manifold I got a stock frame. Please read above. I know I also say that I am putting a intake and a ported throttle but is the exhaust manifold. I have a friend that give me a DME tubular one but never heard about it that is what I was looking suggestions

Project_Broke May 9, 2017 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by oscarquinones (Post 11736981)
I am not talking about intake manifold is the exhaust manifold I got a stock frame. Please read above. I know I also say that I am putting a intake and a ported throttle but is the exhaust manifold. I have a friend that give me a DME tubular one but never heard about it that is what I was looking suggestions

I have one of those manifolds, came on the car. Seems to hold up well, possibly slightly faster spool. It's still a cheaper manifold though. Many seem to go FP, or ported stock manifolds for decent gains.

oscarquinones May 9, 2017 04:24 PM

Thanks

Abacus May 9, 2017 07:53 PM

I'd go with an FP Manifold so the cars exhaust note isn't changed and its less likely to crack.

I have an off the shelf one making good power for a few years now. Lots of runs thru it without any issues and looks stock.

The SS JB black should make well north of 600-650whp with a good setup/tuning on ethanol.

LetsGetThisDone May 10, 2017 11:13 AM

I second the FP manifold. I've installed more than a few of these, very nice piece, much better than stock.

http://www.forcedperformance.net/mer...Lancer-Exhaust

2006EvoIXer May 15, 2017 10:00 AM

Cause for cracking manifolds?

Does anyone know if the turbo twisting under hard spool up is causing the manifolds to crack? Anyone out there running aftermarket exhaust manifold and O2 housing that retains the bottom bracket? If so, has your manifold cracked? Thanks.

e_kobz May 15, 2017 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11739203)
Does anyone know if the turbo twisting under hard spool up is causing the manifolds to crack?

Heat/EGT causes them to crack. An exhaust manifold is going through a non stop heat cycle on a daily basis.

e_kobz May 15, 2017 11:20 AM

OP the FP race manifold is the way to go. I run one on my Evo IX and I love it. Much better than stock or ported stock

RightSaid fred May 16, 2017 01:11 AM

If you want stock reliability, keep the stock manifold and make an adaptor. Then you can make pretty much any turbo fit, within reason.

As said as above, it's the expansion and contraction from heat cycles that makes them crack.
If they're made extra strong then usually the flanges will warp and leak. Very common on inline 6s like the JZ and RB.

It 's about using the correct materials as well as the correct design.

Cracking has nothing to do with turbo weight and nothing to do with vibration.