Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just test drove an '05 EVO 8 and...

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just test drove an '05 EVO 8 and...

Just test drove a brand new, 4 miles on the odometer, '05 EVO VIII, and all I have to say is: "HOLY F'N SH*T!"

I am pissed though. No, not because of the EVO 8, but because I just purchased a 2003 Mustang Cobra 2 months ago in March. I am now DEFINATLEY going to trade this in for the EVO VIII when I get the opportunity in the up-coming months. I had big plans for the Cobra but after driving the EVO 8 it was just SO much fun and just that much better. AWD, Turbo, it handles excellent. Off the line: NO WHEEL SPIN!

Another thing is I don't want to start a flame or anything but I am a member at SVTP and they treat me like sh*t there. They all call me a "noob" because I ask questions about the cobra and just because I don't know it they flame me like I'm supposed to know it from common sense. They all tell me I will lose control of the Cobra because I won't be able to handle the power. Saying stuff like "you make us cobra owners a bad name" I told them I wanted to do a pulley/ported blower and I got nothing but flames "DO NOT MOD YOUR CAR ANY FURTHER (PULLEY/PORT) YOU WILL LOSE CONTROL AND DIE".... oh well. I guess they're right then. So forget it then. Hopefully the EVO community is more welcoming....

Well, after driving the EVO 8, it was pretty much inevitable for me since I am a 'new car transportor', honestly the power felt so much faster then my cobra. The RPMs went to redline SO fast. After flooring it in 2nd gear and hearing that sweet spool of the turbo next thing I know I would have to switch to 3rd already in a matter of seconds - and I did this without being afraid. In the Cobra, it's scary because that car you can lose control of it becuase of it's RWD, it sucks at handleing and it's feels so big and heavy the EVO is nice and lightweight. I took the EVO up to around 90 on the highway and it felt so smooth and great and I loved it I actually was having fun instead of being scared like in the cobra. 3rd gear at redline in the cobra is about 100 MPH and I can't handle that it is too scary like you're going to end up crashing the damn thing.

I also noticed with this car gave me so much looks. I noticed a lot of people in the cars next to me just gawking at me. Don't know if it was a look of "wow" or a look of "wtf is this car" but have a gut feeling it was a look of 'what an awesome car'

One thing I noticed about the car that I wasn't sure of though - when I was in 2nd gear going about 40 or so I floored it and didn't feel it pull so fast. Also it was great when I was at the stop light and had it to about 4,000 and dumped the clutch and it was nothing but FULL traction and no wheel spin! It was so damn amazing how this launches. Next thing I knew I had to shift to 2nd! This is by far the best.

I just wish Mitsubishi Dealer let me test drive this before I bought the Cobra. Thing is, if they did, and I feel the way how I feel now I would've bought the EVO 8 the same day. Ford let me test drive the Cobra and that's why I ended up getting it. It sucks that they didn't let me though but I don't blame them. They probably just thought "Oh it's some 20 year old kid and he won't buy the car" but I really was serious. Now I paid $30,000 for the 03 Cobra and I could've gotten the 2003 EVO 8 for around $28k. The 2005 EVO 8 I was driving was tagged for $35k. Should I just go and get this EVO 8 or wait for the EVO 9?? I am just so unbelievably happy that car made me feel. It made me feel so good unlike my car it does nothing but give me fear. So that's my story, hope you enjoyed it.

P.S. I noticed when I gave it WOT in 2nd gear the spool of the turbo was very soft and was wondering what do people do to make the spool noise super loud? I know a BOV is what gives it the CHA-CHA or SHOOP sound but was wondering what about making the spooling "pshhhhh" loud at WOT?

Here are the memories of this day that I took from my camera phone. Nothing special just pics of the brand new '05 EVO 8 that I test drove. Oh and when I went to the dealer to deliver the car I told the salsemen who knew me from when I went in a few months ago to test drive the EVO 8 and I told him "Wow I love this car, I just drove the EVO 8 and it's so fast" and he was sitting in the EVO MR in the showroom and was kinda a dick to me he was like "You didn't drive this one. This is an MR. 6 speed, kid." This was the same guy who didn't let me test drive the car when I went in a few months ago, OH WELLZ....hehe I just told him "don't matter I still tested the EVO 8 :P" Whenever I see an EVO 8 on the road I will give the thumbs up I just hope he takes it well and not think of me as an idiot because of the car I drive and just throws me the thumbs up back but we'll seee

Old May 10, 2005, 08:50 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HOLY FNSHT ?

your camera phone sucks.
Old May 10, 2005, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Don't feelbad, I sold my Cobra for an 03 Evo V///....it was the best thing I have ever done!
Old May 10, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you got bit hard by the evo bug. Hope you do end up getting one.

Though redlining it, clutch drops? I hope I never buy a car that you transport.
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, so you not only violated the break-in procedures as mandated by the video Mitsu makes you watch upon purchasing an Evo (don't go over 5k rpm for 500 miles), but you also LAUNCHED from a stop on a transmission and clutch that weren't broken in? I can't believe the salesman was that dumb...

Imagine the sucker who ends up buying it with 8 miles on it, follows all the break-in procedures, yet still ends up coming back at 500 miles wondering why his clutch is already fried (or the syncros are grinding or the engine seemingly lacks power) only to be denied warranty coverage due to "not following the break-in procedures."
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
HOLY FNSHT ?

your camera phone sucks.

Why be so negative???
If you get an Evo I am sure you will very happy with the car. It does everything well where as the Cobra is fast it cannot turn or stop as well as an Evo. And it has so many options for tuning as well. I am sure if you search thru this site you will see the easy potential for your future mods if you get an Evo. And find many helpfull Evo owners to give you advice.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Not to "bash" you, but I'm glad I just bought my Evo 'casue I wouldn't want to buy the one you just redlined during its break-in period.

If you like the Evo so much, make sure you treat them better than you did.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

just mod the evo once u get it and beat those cobras like the black evo. yall know which evo i am talking about
Old May 10, 2005, 09:07 PM

Like I said I am gonna be going back to the dealer and trading my car for the same EVO that I delivered. I wasn't sure about the break-in period but sorry if that offended people. Also my camera phone I usually don't take pics with it so I didn't get an expensive top of the line one just something thats good enough.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Wait till you see my vids!
Originally Posted by racerxl99
just mod the evo once u get it and beat those cobras like the black evo. yall know which evo i am talking about
Old May 10, 2005, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Don't worry about it dude, I think Mitsu has to reccomend breakin to even give the **** clutch a chance and it fails even with care. So don't sweat it.
Originally Posted by SeannMichael
Like I said I am gonna be going back to the dealer and trading my car the same one I delivered. I wasn't sure about the break-in period but sorry if that offended people. Also my camera phone I usually don't take pics with it so I didn't get an expensive top of the line one just something thats good enough.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Why be so negative???
You should be more happier like me! I love prancing around in the wind, picking flowers and talking with small animals. why hello little birdy, where are you going birdy? you want to be my friend birdy? let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya. "kumbaya my lord, kumbaya~"

I think it's great that you love EVo. I love cobras too. Sometimes I look at it and see myself in one. Then I snap back and wonder if I could handle hearing that loud engine everyday.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

good choice, by the way to make your spool up sound louder get a cold air intake, i got the injen intake, makes it sound like a ******* aircraft engine. worth every penny.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by plokivos

I think it's great that you love EVo. I love cobras too. Sometimes I look at it and see myself in one. Then I snap back and wonder if I could handle hearing that loud engine everyday.
Yeah, you can't deny the Cobra's amazing power for such a great price, but I personally couldn't resign myself to something with that much power as a RWD. I couldn't do jack squat with my weakass IS300 (rwd) in the winter, so I definitely didn't need a Cobra. Honestly, though, since I don't auto-x or road race, if I was back home in Alabama, I might have gotten a Cobra...
Old May 10, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

if u want a loud turbo spool 1 solution: aftermarket intake pipe/filter. im running an AEM intake with HKS filter, geez u can hear the turbo like no other once it starts spooling, it sounds like an airplane flying down the street. The evo is running a big 16G so the turbo tends to be pretty loud running an intake. as for fun, yes the evo is a very fun car, i have never a car as fun. as for you dumping the clutch, i dont suggest you do that if u ever own an Evo or else you're gonna have headaches with the transfer case. I personally turn my head EVERy time i see a Cobra. Theyre the ONLY line of Mustangs i like. I think the Saleen is overrated, but the Cobra is a beast, but i would NEVER EVER choose a Cobra over the Evo. EVER

Quick Reply: Just test drove an '05 EVO 8 and...