Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Mobil1 Extended Performance Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mobil1 Extended Performance Synthetic Oil

I was picking up some oil at Walmart last night. I noticed Mobil has a new synthetic oil out called "Mobil1 Extended Performance". Actually, they were all sold out of the 5 qt jugs, but there were some 1 qt bottles left. The new oil cost $5.36/qt compared to ~$3/qt for the standard Mobil1 synthetic.

Anyone use the new oil? I checked out Mobil1's Website .
Old May 12, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

yup put it in my car about 2k miles ago. If you read the back of the bottle, it states that if the oil is used in a performance vehicle for example, that the oil should be changed earlier than what they state. I just bought it cuz it was like 24bux for the 5qt of the extended, and like 21 for the 5qt jug of the regular synthetic, so why not try it. i plan to change it at 6k miles (4k miles from now) just to be safe.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

It's still not 100% synthetic oil. You should look into Amsoil which is 100% full synthetic and compare the two.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

awesome. ill have to look into that. im driving about 200 miles out of town this weekend and my car has about 3k miles on it. i havent had my first oil change yet but i think i should get one beforehand and maybe try this stuff out.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, but Mobil 1 is a true sythetic. kthx.

All you ever wanted to know about oil: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...start_point=35
Old May 12, 2005, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

My friend works for ExxonMobile. You'd be surprised at the amount of R&D that's put into their products - I've seen the internal data. It really does put a lof of other "synthetics" to shame.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
Sorry, but Mobil 1 is a true sythetic. kthx.

All you ever wanted to know about oil: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...start_point=35

Actually the base stock they start out with is not synthetic! That is why they were involved in a lawsuit with Castrol. Their arguement was that the quality of the mineral base stock was high enough that they should be able to say "fully synthetic" even though it is not a true full systhetic.

Look at this:
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetes...vs_mobil1.aspx

See here for all tests:
http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx

I don't sell the ****! I just want the best in my EVO! BTW I have 90K on my 03 EVO, have ZERO issues and I'm still on the stock clutch!
Old May 12, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Well, if the tests are done by Amsoil, don't you think they'll be just a bit biased??

Here's an actual independent test between Mobil1 and Amsoil. The results show Mobil1 had less "metal protection" than Amsoil but lasted a lot longer. Amsoil also thickened from 5-30 to about 15-40. Thick oils, anyone? However, they are now suspecting the Mobil1 showed more wear due to the fact that they used Mobil to break in the engine. They are currently now retesting Mobil1 to see the difference. Check it out yourself.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
Old May 12, 2005, 10:29 AM

Mitsu dealerships use mobil1 when they do oil changes for the EVO.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Well, if the tests are done by Amsoil, don't you think they'll be just a bit biased??

Here's an actual independent test between Mobil1 and Amsoil. The results show Mobil1 had less "metal protection" than Amsoil but lasted a lot longer. Amsoil also thickened from 5-30 to about 15-40. Thick oils, anyone? However, they are now suspecting the Mobil1 showed more wear due to the fact that they used Mobil to break in the engine. They are currently now retesting Mobil1 to see the difference. Check it out yourself.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

This was just the fastest link I could find, but I will tell you this, My Step-father works in Kevin Harvick's Busch car shop in Winston-Salem, NC and he told me that there are quite a few Nextel Cup cars running Amsoil and two of them are sponsored by other oil companies! Due to sponships they can't advertise. He said this is true for many of the parts that are used also. He will not talk about that their shop does though. I asked!
Like I said I don't sell it or care who uses it but at 90K I'm doing just fine! If I find something better I'll post about that too! I don't want a debate I just want to pass on what worked for me.
After all I do have the highest mileage EVO in The US!
Old May 12, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

I deleted my smart a$$ post as to not offend a noob.

Last edited by Redcloud; May 12, 2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
My friend works for ExxonMobile. You'd be surprised at the amount of R&D that's put into their products - I've seen the internal data. It really does put a lof of other "synthetics" to shame.

My Dad works for them, I can second that. I have been using the regular 10w 30 and going 4K oil change interval. I tried the extended 15K 10w 30 and after 4K miles it looked as if it broke down (heat) much more. I just ordered some special 0w-30 Mobil 1 Racing specifically for turbo and supercharged vehicles to try it out. It comes highly reccomended by a variety of race teams that are using it. At 10bucks a quart it should be.

Last edited by Volunteer; May 12, 2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:56 AM

2 words royal purple
Old May 12, 2005, 10:57 AM

I just get a large bottle of Mazola Corn oil, and pour some of it into the engine every 5 to 10k.
Old May 12, 2005, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

I think that one may be better than the others but the quality of all is so good that if you change your oil properly it doesn't matter which one you use. I can say that I changed my mobil-1 every 5K as required and I was getting pretty good gas mileage. I switched to Amsoil and my mileage jumped up 10% and has stayed constant to the 7500 intervals I now use with the Amsoil.

Quick Reply: New Mobil1 Extended Performance Synthetic Oil