Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer pros- Why is the evo 7 a better choice than a wrx or sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2002, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
danc

Although torque steer is usually associated with FWD, I am happy to use a wider definition of when you step on the gas, the car veers off. This is caused through uneven power ditribution to the driven wheels. This uneven power distribution would be due to the drivetrain and in particular the differential. The type of engine would have no effect on this.

BTW, I have owned 2 cars with boxer engines

And my Evo 7 Extreme has no torque steer at all
Old Jan 26, 2002, 03:37 AM
Evolving Member

Claudius:

Have you driven the New Age STi and the EVO 7?

Mike7 just posted that HE had, and that for him, overall, it's a draw. So I guess that just means "way better" depends upon your criteria.

I personally couldn't care less for meaningless cheerleading on EITHER side (yes, there's lots on the Subaru side). I'm here to find out the pros and cons of each car, and then I'll hopefully get to make the decision in a year or so.

snelson:

It's my understanding that the boxer engine's symmetry makes the design of a torque-steer-less drivetrain easier. That's what I was trying to say.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 08:39 PM

Danc

I have driven both and can say that by the criteria I choose, the Scooby is way behind the Evo. Having said that, for me the standard Evo did not meet my requierments which is why I have an Exteme.

My Criteria are, in order

1. Power and handling - in other words outright performance.
2. Driver comfort
3. Passenger comfort
4. Interior finish
5. Build quality
6. Sound
7. Looks

Here is my verdict

1.The Evo handles better than the Scooby and is faster. In fact, the Scooby handles like a very good sedan while the Evo handles like a sports car.
2. The Evo seats are better than the Scooby but in terms of controls, pedals etc the 2 cars are equal.
3. Probably the Scooby wins on this because the seats are bigger and the interior build quality is a bit better.
4. Scooby is a little better but neither comes close to a BMW
5. Mechanically the Evo has the better reputation but the Scooby body is probably better. However, it is not as stiff. The Evo paint quality is not as good as the Scooby.
6. Scooby wins by a long way. However, my aftermarket exhaust sound pretty good but the car will never sound as good as the best Scooby.
7. Personal thing this. There is no doubt that the Sti is a lot better looking than the WRX but for me, the Evo wins.

The above is objective, not Evo masho talk. My brother ahs a Scooby which I recommended he bought. He uses it as a family car and the softer suspension and less sporty feel is ideal for his needs. He says that he couldn't use an Evo as a family car.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

snelson:

Great post, very informative and useful for those of us stuck in the States unable to drive either (yet).

Couple questions:

Did you drive the official UK STi (265hp) or a grey market?

Is that an EVO VII Extreme? Damn, nice car. We'll never get the Exteme. If we were talking STi vs. Extreme, I wouldn't need to be deciding.

What is the deal with the sound exactly? Not loud enough, not growly enough?

Unfortunately, we'll be getting some bastardized version of each, so I'll have to choose based on what it ends up being.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 07:04 PM

Danc

Although I have a 7 Extreme, my comments were intended to be based on the standard car. However, it is a few months since I have driven a standard car so, if I am totally honest, my judgement could be a little clouded by time.

I drove a grey Sti, which is reputed to have a bit more power than the UK car.

Regarding the sound, loudness is not a problem. That can be as loud or quiet as you want. However, the Scooby has a deeper, more growly noise. If you listened to both a Scooby and an Evo, you would think that the Scooby was more powerful. But you would be wrong
Old Jan 27, 2002, 11:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
What is the differencr between an Evo VII and an Evo VII Extreme? Is the Extreme a Mitsu offering, or an aftermarket thing? Thanks.

e in sin city
Old Jan 28, 2002, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Scoobynet from the UK has some subaru drivers who have converted to the Evo, after they drove an Evo and saw the light!
You can read their testimony in the other marquees forum.
Old Jan 28, 2002, 02:46 PM

An Evo 7 Extreme is a limited edition car produced by Ralliart UK. The engine is uprated with forged pistons and conrods, new induction and exhaust, sports intercooler, high pressure fule pump and sports ECU. The oilways and waterways are also machined to improve cooling and lubrication. The compression has been reduced to allow for higher boost. The power output is 339bhp and 350 ft/lbs (476Nm) of torque. I also have a short shift gearlever fitted.

Suspension has minor mods including Grp n bushes all round, uprated springs which lower the car and uprated roll bars. It also has a rear strut brace, the front one being standard.

Brakes have been upgraded with cross drilled disks, competition brake hoses, master cylinder support and decent brake fluid. ( AP brakes are available as an extra and I intend to put these on soon).

The car came with the most stunning ( and expensive) 18" alloys from Team Dynamics. They are very light at only 7.2 kgs! and are fitted with 235/40/18 rubber.

The Extreme only comes in black, but thats ok because it looks the business!

Oh, and it comes with a full 3 year, unlimited milage warranty! Some say that it is too expensive at £40,000 which is £10,00 more than the base car costs. However, considering the wheels alone cost over £3,000 the engine machining, complete suspension and brake rebuild and a full warranty, I personally think it is worth it!

Ralliart UK also do an Extreme s which is based on the RS. This car has its engine further worked on with machined head, uprated cams and a Gems ECU. Being lighter than a GSR and having the short ratio gearbox, this car is a real rocket but is probably too extreme for most people to use as an everyday car.