Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying do's and don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2003, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying do's and don'ts?

Hey guys I'm 20 years old, and around July it will be my first attempt to buy a car (The EVO). Being sure there are many other much wiser people on this board. When I go to the dealer wanting to buy it. What are some stratagies for me to get the best deal I can without them taking advantage of me (being I'm fairly young) and second it being a new car.

I'm sure they will try to do all they can to get a dollar out of me. However I will come back from Japan in July so I want to try and get it after that. What's the best way for me to try to get it around invoice price?

All I know so far is to finance from my bank, and get as big as a downpayment as I can, and last keep my credit history clean n tidy.

Thanks!

Jay
Old Feb 24, 2003, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

It's an EVO, you're going to pay sticker... Get on the waiting list now, and make it clear that you don't want any dealer prep, paint protection, etc...
Old Feb 24, 2003, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

check http://www.carbuyingtips.com they have pretty comprehensive coverage on stuffs you need to know when buying a new car.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

make them give you the paint protection stuff cheaper, i got mine for like 100 and they said they were gonna charge around 800
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ratboy128
make them give you the paint protection stuff cheaper, i got mine for like 100 and they said they were gonna charge around 800
It's more like, you should refuse the paint protection completely. It's just a coat of wax. Do you think a coat of wax is worth spending hundreds on? I don't.

I usually make sure I go into the buying experience with an open mind. But at the same time, I try to be prepared for everything that can/will happen in the process.

If you go into the dealership acting arrogant, your salesperson won't like dealing with you...and you won't have a good sales experience.

SC~
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

dont be afraid to walk away....not getting the sale ($$$) will make them more willing to work with you
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Buying do's and don'ts?

I'm 21 years old and I think my best weapon is my dad. Find someone that's good at making car deals (like your dad) and that's non-emotional about the car and take them with you when you go to buy the car. I dont know about you, but I get too excited about getting the car and that could cost me hundreds.

Rob
Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Crzylizard
dont be afraid to walk away....not getting the sale ($$$) will make them more willing to work with you
That's one of the best things to do, and is often overlooked. My Lancer was my first car purchase, and believe me, I wasn't about to throw away any of my money.

Don't let em pressure you once the piece of paper comes out and they start talking numbers. Granted, the Evo will be extremely limited, but unless you HAVE to have one of the first allotments you'll get closer to paying sticker.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Another good thing to do is get yourself preapproved for a loan before going to the dealership. I feel this puts you in a slightly better bargaining position because you are not at the whim of the dealership approved loan institutions.

SC~.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 01:25 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Get pre-approved from your bank (or wherever you please). This gives you leverage - without a p-apped loan, dealers are likely to think you're not serious (been there, done that). Once you've got the sale, let the finance guy/gal run your finances through their channels - and take the better loan.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 02:06 PM

Yeah if you can get preapproved from your own bank that is always the best. If not... autobytel.com or carsdirect.com and get a price quote from them. Then go to the dealer and have them beat that price. Do not be afraid to walk away from them and to refuse their pushing into you buying the car that day. It took me 3 consecutive days of going to the dealer to get what I wanted. On the financing... always check the dealers numbers if they are doing it for you. Bring a financial calculator and know how to use it, or otherwise find an easy one online that tells you how to do everything and does the math for you. On the financing deal they originally tried to give me they were trying to screw me with an inflated price on an OZ, ($19,500) and an interest rate of %19. Only found that out after I ran the numbers myself. Eventually got the car for $17k and 3% financing. It pays to be patient and not rush things.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 03:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
are there any online ones that you would suggest?
Old Feb 24, 2003, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT 100% SATISFIED WITH!!!!

and also, do NOT be afraid to walk out of the dealership of they're not giving you what you want. they have ur name and phone number, they WILL get back to you.

DO try to get a couple of dealerships to "bid" on who you will buy from, usually they will try to beat other dealers best prices. i did that about 8 times with my lancer and ended up getting free leather out of it.

KNOW WHAT YOU WANT AND DONT SETTLE FOR LESS AND DONT PAY MORE THAN MSRP!!!
Old Feb 24, 2003, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ratboy128
I'm sorry that you paid even a penny for that. Did you buy scotch gaurd too? Undercoating? All BS ... just stuff to add to the price.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

www.beatthecarsalesman.com
Read up on that website, all the info you need to know about the game they play.

And always remember, throw all of your respect out the window when you go to the car dealership, treat the salesman/sales manager if your girlfriend just cheated on you with him.

Thats usually half of the fun I like to have when I buy a new car, thats why I got nearly $4000 off of my WRX.

Quick Reply: Buying do's and don'ts?