Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird noise when raining...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise when raining...

Help me out here. I'm currently on European tour with Evo and ran into weirdest possible problem. Everytime when it's raining I hear this loud banging sound underneath the car. No problems when it's dry, I've tread speeds over 200 km/h (god I love autobahns ). I don't know what causes the noise and neither did local Mitsu service. Any ideas? It sounds like the exhaust is hitting the floor, but it seems to be ok. It's a Helix cat-back.

Please give me fast answers, I should be in Nürburgring in a week and I want my car to be ok before that!
Old Jul 23, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When part of the exhaust is cooled off by the cold rain water on the road, and the downpipe section is NOT cooled off it means that the length of the pipes is not the same as when the whole system is warm or the whole system is cold. This can cause it to bend just a bit and make it hit other parts under the car. Some people have had an exhaust that rubs the drive shaft carrier bearing in this situation, others it hits the floor pan.

Keith
Old Jul 23, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks! I actually thought that myself but it seemed quite unbeliavable. If that is the problem, is there anything you can do to stop it?
Old Jul 23, 2005, 06:32 AM

Yea, i had the exact same problem. i just switched to urethane exhaust hangers and that solved the problem
Old Jul 23, 2005, 06:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ya know, I noticed the exact same thing, never occurred to me to try different hangers..
Old Jul 23, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

No kidding the urethane exhaust hangers will make a difference! That is awesome I am saving this thread for future reference,

-Nate
Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
When part of the exhaust is cooled off by the cold rain water on the road, and the downpipe section is NOT cooled off it means that the length of the pipes is not the same as when the whole system is warm or the whole system is cold. This can cause it to bend just a bit and make it hit other parts under the car. Some people have had an exhaust that rubs the drive shaft carrier bearing in this situation, others it hits the floor pan.

Keith
Why didnt I think of that? I dont have such a problem, but my girlfriend does in her car (Neon). The exhaust sounds horrible when it rains .
Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you! Just out of curiosity, if the problem really is temperature differences in the exhaust, what good will the urethane hangers do? How "exotic" parts are they? I'm heading to Switzerland next, can I expect to get the hangers from local Mitsu service or what? I know it is a long shot, but any hints for the shops that sell them in Zürich area would be greatly appreciated. I have very limited access to internet...
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I still get this noise with the Kartboy exhaust hangers. Only when it rains... hehe.