Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What really happend to my car at the WRX vs. Evo shootout

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 06:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What really happend to my car at the WRX vs. Evo shootout

The recent WRX vs EVO shootout round #3 was an amazing day which culmanated in the gathering of the ONLY 3 evos ever to run 9 second passes all at one track. I had a blast and will never forget the experience. Raceway Park and Javier Ortega should be commended for organizing an amazing day of racing which could not be duplicated any where.

One of the only things I did not care for about the whole WRX vs. Evo shootout was the nasty comments from some people about me throwing a rod at the race and other similar rumors which were obviously from people who were taking some measure of satisfaction in the concept of my car having some mechanical problems.

For those who did not follow the whole saga, I made it through a long day of racing and my car blew out a puff of black smoke when I lifted the gas at the 1,000 ' mark and later my car was making some stange sounds.

At the time, I was very suprized by my car's performance in the final as I had been tuning the car all day OFF nitrous going two passes at 10.6, then in the final I added a 75 shot of NOS and the car did not pick up any speed. I had expected to go at least half a second faster with the juice but it made no difference. Something was wrong.

Fast forward two weeks and today I finally had time to take my motor apart to see where the noise was comming from.

Attched here is a picture of my snapped in half rocker arm from the #1 cyl exhaust valve.

Apparently, I reved the engine to 9800 rpms in 1st gear launching and snapped the rocker arm in two which spread tiny neddle bearings from the rocker all throughout the engine. Thererafter the data log shows problems in 2nd - 3rd when I felt it wasnt right and let off after I did not see myself catching the subaru.

The smoke must have come from the incomplete combustion in that #1 cyln as teh pistons, rings and combustion chambers and valves are all in 100% mint condition.

To the ugly, nasty and ill minded individuals who posted comments about my engine blowing up at the time, I say ANYONE who is trying to go fast in racing and win races is going to break some parts sooner or later or they are not pushing the car hard enough to win. Breaking a rocker arm is not something that is tuning related and shows no adverse inference upon the skills of the tuner or engine builder. When you are revving to 10,000 rpms on the stock lifters and rockers these things can and will fatique in time and break.

My motor lasted since last October's NHRA race through 8 races in which I won 4 and came in runner up twice, it has been through over 100 dyno pulls at 600 plus whp and countless hours of testing and tuning on public roads.

Sorry to waste so much space on this issue but I just wanted to set the record on this straight.

The good news in all of this is how David Buschur at Buschur Racing has rallied to my assitance with help in getting me a Buschur STROKER motor for my evo very quickly. I am super excited to try the Buschur stroker set up out after seeing very impressive dyno results and time slips from the black Buschur drag car. Also, I recetly tuned a Buschur Stroker and it was a real blast to drive a car with that kind of tq. I will be reporting back next week on the results with the new larger displacement set up

Attached Thumbnails What really happend to my car at the WRX vs. Evo shootout-rocker1.jpg  

Last edited by DynoFlash; Aug 30, 2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

I am sure everyone would agree with me in saying that we are glad you found out the problem and is getting it resolved and also keep us posted on the buschur stroker motor, I haven't heard much about it but I am sure it is awesome just like all of their products.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SMrider102
I am sure everyone would agree with me in saying that we are glad you found out the problem and is getting it resolved and also keep us posted on the buschur stroker motor, I haven't heard much about it but I am sure it is awesome just like all of their products.
couldnt have put it any better myself..congrats on the stroker motor, cant wait to see the results of yet another great buschur product!
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Any car that is raced has a higher chance of breaking something. It comes with the territory. Once a car has been modified, especially highly modified, you WILL break parts. It is just a matter of time.

It's just ironic you always make fun of the "slowbaru's as you call them" breaking something and then you broke something. Strange how that happens. Like I told you prior to this event Al any car can break, but you already knew this.

Get your **** fixed and bring it back out. I'm sure you're eager to take back the "fastest" non nitrous Evo title.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I say ANYONE who is trying to go fast in racing and win races is going to break some parts sooner or later or they are not pushing the car hard enough to win.
I could not agree more Al. BTW, how high will you rev the Buschur stroker?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with the stroker motor. Did David give you any indication of what RPM the motor will be safe to rev to?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
I could not agree more Al. BTW, how high will you rev the Buschur stroker?
By the time I could type that you arleady posted. Great minds think alike
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DragNRacing
I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with the stroker motor. Did David give you any indication of what RPM the motor will be safe to rev to?
Dave tells me that they have made it to mid 9,000 range aready. He says that virtually ALL the motors he has built in past few months are strokers. I have not heard of ONE of them failing.

I was not big on the stoker plan a few months ago - but seeing the way the black Buschur car was working at low boost made be a believer.

When i drove that Stage 4 car with GT35R turbo and stroker it would spin all four tires shifting from 1 -2 and 2 - 3 on the street. It really makes the shifts snappy and the car feels as if it had a big block engine.

My goals for this project are to cut down on time to spool my GT40R turbo between shifts and also help build more boost in 1st gear.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about the rocker arm. Almost 10,000 rpms is crazy and nothing is bulletproof especially with racing. Good luck to getting your new stroker motor together quickly.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 08:37 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BoostWhore
Sorry to hear about the rocker arm. Almost 10,000 rpms is crazy and nothing is bulletproof especially with racing. Good luck to getting your new stroker motor together quickly.
Thanks - the worst part is that the rockers are filled with lots of tiny needle bearings which can make quite a mess
Old Aug 31, 2005, 09:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by John@GSC
Sorry to hear about this Al. Get that thing back together.

Hope to see you at Englishtown NHRA Oct. 1 & 2. You got to give Sean some competition.

John
I don't run SRWD anymore as the rules are too restrictive IMHO. Last time it was rediculous to see the RX7 with a fuel pump hanging off the bottom of his fuel tank going mid 9's. I do not understand why they wont allow fuel cells but to me my saftey ina crach is more important than any other factor.

In NHRA I run the quick 16 so I can keep my fuel cell