Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Changed Low beams (nonHID) with bumper on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed Low beams (nonHID) with bumper on

Over the last weekend I decided to put SilverStar bulbs in my low beams. (Because I was bored)

I'd heard all sorts of stories about having to remove the front bumper to replace them and was fully prepared to do so. BUT the manual claims there is access from the wheel wells. Using a flashlight I saw the MINISCULE space they give you behind the Headlamp housing to get anything in and out of there.

The drivers side was actually pretty easy to do through the wheel well. I removed the clips and screws as the manual says and with a little hand contortionist action I was able to get the stocker out and the new one in.

The passengerside was a different story. I got the clips out, got the harness off, and popped the bulb out of the housing, but there was NO WAY that bulb was coming out all the way. I tried every single possible direction and that thing was not coming out.

I was all worried. I had this nice new bulb in one side, and the old one in the other. At one point I had the bulb wedged between the housing and the steel and it would NOT move for anything. I was afraid I was going to break it if I pressed too hard. Of course I didn't want to do that. Then I got the bring idea that saved the day.

I took the top screws off of the headlight housing and popped it free of the clip on the fender side. I then use a screwdriver as a pry bar and gently pushed the housing forward. I was able to get it to move a good inch with little effort (read: no fear of breaking anything) I was then able to get my hand back up under the fender to remove the old bulb and replace it with the new one.

Total time it took to do everything was probably a half an hour. (I'm sure some of you could have done it quicker by taking the bumper off, but it wasn't really what I wanted to do)

Later that night I went for a drive. The low beams are noticeably whiter AND brighter. So all in all the $37 I spent on the silverstars were worth it. And hell, its a cheap hold me over until I spend all sorts of cash next spring summer. (BR Stage2, HIDs, etc...)

I just thought I'd post this to say it IS possible to swap bulbs without removing the front bumper, contrary to a LOT of posts around here.

/ancker
Old Sep 2, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

I did the same. Next time I will attenpt the partial removal of the bumper to replace the bulbs. I am going to use the PIAA 7500k bulbs from japan. I already have them on for high beams and they are the best!!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

I swapped my light bulbs too, high beams were a breeze, the low ones were a pain but I was able to get them in w/out damaging the bulbs, it's possible, with JUST enough room to get it through.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't see how you got the driver side one in? with out taking the bumper off
Old Sep 2, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

what size bulbs are the SilverStar same size as the stock one's
i could not even get the driver side ones out and the bulbs are little
the passengerside was easy "not east but you know"

and yes i did every thing you did i don't know how you got the driver side one's in?

and you said SilverStar where brighter then stock
i put blue one's in and there not as bright as stock
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
weren't you the guy who said the dealership was installing OEM HIDs for him? What happened?
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

id rather take the bumper off than twisting and prying evo headlights.

Taking the bumper off isnt hard at all
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner

+1
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

taking the bumper off is a lot easyer then you think
Old Sep 2, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
weren't you the guy who said the dealership was installing OEM HIDs for him? What happened?
Yes I was, but that didn't happen because they didn't know what they were doing when they said they could swap them for me.

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
A: what size bulbs are the SilverStar same size as the stock one's

B: and you said SilverStar where brighter then stock
i put blue one's in and there not as bright as stock

C: i don't see how you got the driver side one in? with out taking the bumper off
A: The SilverStars are exactly the same size. a 9006 bulb is a 9006 bulb. They can't give them the same number of they don't fit exactly the same.

B: I think the blue ones might be a little dimmer then. But mine definitely look a bit brighter. I had the car in the garage and shut the lights off and did a comparison. The SilverStars were brighter. I can also notice improved vision at night.

C: The driver's side was the easiest. If you twist it at just the right angle, it'll come out. You just have to mess with it until it comes.

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
I didn't have to do anything that caused any damage. I never "forced" anything, just slightly moved them to where they needed to be. I didn't figure taking the bumper off was hard, I just didn't want to mess with it.

/ancker
Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Not to revive this really old thread, but I just wanted to say I did this again today. Without taking the front bumper off, and without using the fender well.

The passenger low beam light went out on Wednesday.

I just loosened the passenger headlamp, used a screw driver to pry the assembly out about a half inch or so, took the wiring clip off the bulb, and the bulb came out with a little bit of contorting my hand. It look a little extra contorting to get the new bulb back in without getting it dirty or rubbing it against anything.

Also, this means good things for SilverStar bulbs, the passenger side lasted about 2.5 years and the driver's side is still going.

I'm still planning on going HID, but other things are important nowadays. (like HDTVs, PS3s, F1 races, and plane tickets to places that aren't 11F)

/ancker
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Taking the bumper off is a <5 minutes job. Why the hassle?