Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

NJ dealer scam alert ! Who has a deposit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NJ dealer scam alert ! Who has a deposit?

I today spoke with 5 dealers who just got cars delivered today in NJ

They all were ready to sell me a car immediately today - at something well over msrp

I asked them about the customers who had already placed deposits - - they all pretty much said - thats irrelevant - first one with a high bid over msrp gets the car no matter who placed a deposit

I find it interesting to see they are taking $$ from customers months in advance and then selling the car the day it comes in to random callers who just call up and might be willing to pay a jacked up rip off price

Whats the point of leaving a deposit >????

I am very happy tyhat the ecomomy sucks - the war is ready to start - there is news of some killer flu and FORD just announced a 17% cut back in reduction on the heels of GM's 10% cut last week - - the car business is on the ***** of its *** and these clowns are trying to rip people off at $9,000 or so over list - thats comical - anyone who would pay that much list has to have thier head examined!

By the middle of next week you will be able to really play hard ball with these dealers !

PS - (I have a firm msrp contract and my car should be in by weeks end - I am just posting this info to help fellow fans know what is going on )
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Salerno and Duane Dealership one of em?
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

PPS - most imprtantly - NO dealer told me that they were sold out of the first allocation - - with all 5 it was take your pick

If the sales were going to be that hot on these cars they would all be sold and spoken for at this point when they are hitting the lots
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by LaNceRiTiZ
I'm not naming any names - do your won reserach - BUT - I called every dealer in NJ today after my i-club buddy spyed the cars on transporters on the NJ turnpike at 9:00 a.m. this am and the only 5 dealers I found who had cars were all playing the same song !

Funniest one of all was the one owned by some famous sports guy - - they wouldn't even quote me a price - they had two yellow ones - they said they had to make up thier minds how much to jack it up - but I should feel free to make an offer or call back later and try to out bid andy other offers they make get

Frankly - I would PAY them $$$ just to not have to ever talk with another car sales'man in my life - they are all the lowest form of human slime

Saturn had a good thing going with its sale's policy - - too bad thier cars suck

I find this dealer interaction a BIG turn off - - A small part of my brain is finding this car very unatractive becuase is letting this kind of game go on
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
PPS - most imprtantly - NO dealer told me that they were sold out of the first allocation - - with all 5 it was take your pick

If the sales were going to be that hot on these cars they would all be sold and spoken for at this point when they are hitting the lots
Ummm, you missed your own point. Sold out is irrelevant in this case. These delaers have essentially decided to take bids on these vehicles instead of reservations.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Mark F

Ummm, you missed your own point. Sold out is irrelevant in this case. These delaers have essentially decided to take bids on these vehicles instead of reservations.
I wonder if they told that to the guys who laid out thier hard earned $$$ a few months ago to hold a car ???? Thats what i want to know

They can do what ever they want - so long as they are honest about it

That doesn't mean we have to go along with it !
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Actually if it is like around here, i think they got a shipment before the "Ordered" cars came in.. I just went and traded in my WRX and paid MSRP at the local dealer.. While i know of anothe simi-local who was still waiting on his car.. (Still is) but instead he just went and bought one off the dealer lot.

I don't think the ones they have are allocated for pre-orders.. And that is a little screwed up, but that doesn't mean the dealer is doing it.

Now the markup on the other hand is a joke..

-Zach
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by LaNceRiTiZ
Ah, my dealership.

Of equal importance, did you talk to managers or just salespeople? Just curious who gave you the info, cuz you would probably get varying info from salesperson to salesperson and whatnot.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

...just called em Hobie...spoke to Dave...
$4k mark up....
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not like I'm interested in an Evo anyway. Is Dave a salesperson? I dealt strictly with Rasheedah, internet sales manager for both their Subaru and Mitsubishi dealerships (I'd originally requested a quote on my OZ off the internet) who was very pleasant to deal with. Of course I wasn't buying a car that was in high demand or being marked up across the country. I bet if you called back and asked for anyone other than Dave you may do better/worse.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys, foward all dealers above MSRP to me. Please inlude the addr and phone number so I can add them to our black list. If you dont have their information just give me the name and city and i will look it up. I'm working on adding about 25 more dealers today since I was gone all weekend. You can PM me or e-mail me.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Aww crap, I was going to go there today and check it out..But ferget it. Oh well..God damn 4K markup? Ferget that ****.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

yeah (salesperson)....
i dealt w/ him when i purchased my OZ

*find out from Rasheedah is she says the same...
Old Mar 17, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

It shouldnt matter from sale's man to sale's man - all representatives of the dealership should be honest in dealings - - - not cheast dudes who have deposits first and sell thier cars out from undert them
Old Mar 17, 2003, 09:11 PM

if anyone in NJ/NY don't mind a 4 hours drive, i can get you an EVO at most $1000 over MSRP in MD.

Quick Reply: NJ dealer scam alert ! Who has a deposit?