Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

need help asap i.e brakes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help asap i.e brakes

i understand i need high temp anti seize for the back of my brake pads..the only autoparts store i have around here is autozone and kragens and they only carry permatex high temp anti seize...i cant find copper anti seize or 1800 degree temp at that..the only thing i can find is the high temp anti seize that stands up to 1600 degrees....the question is....will this work??it is only 1600 and non copper..please help..thanx
Old Nov 9, 2005, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
uhm... you need brake pad grease... not antisieze... they should sell it in the brakes section. mine came in these little ketchup packet like things. it's not really a grease either... just something you put on and after a while it kinda gets really thick, almost solid so you don't get vibration noises and squeeks.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
uhm... you need brake pad grease... not antisieze... they should sell it in the brakes section. mine came in these little ketchup packet like things. it's not really a grease either... just something you put on and after a while it kinda gets really thick, almost solid so you don't get vibration noises and squeeks.
+1
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

you can mix anti seize (about 10%) with sythetic brake grease and that will help to achieve whatever you're trying to do. putting grease on the back of the pads is a good thing to do unless its a one piece pad in which it will absorb into the pad and cause issues down the road. But yes, put sythetic grease on the shims and it will "help" prevent squeaks. But if youre getting your brake pads up to 1600 degress, WOW!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

I used the same stuff that you're using (1600 deg.), no brake squeek whatsoever.

Originally Posted by supravital
i understand i need high temp anti seize for the back of my brake pads..the only autoparts store i have around here is autozone and kragens and they only carry permatex high temp anti seize...i cant find copper anti seize or 1800 degree temp at that..the only thing i can find is the high temp anti seize that stands up to 1600 degrees....the question is....will this work??it is only 1600 and non copper..please help..thanx
Old Nov 9, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a local parts store(non-chain i.e. Autozone, Kragen, etc...) special order that Permatex high temp copper anti-sieze. They got it pretty quick. I tried the other anti-squeal stuff and it didn't work very well at all on the Endless pads I was installing. Though I wasn't re-using the stock shims at that time. I reinstalled the pads with the shims and the copper goo and all's quiet
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

I am having the same problem! Can't find the Permatex Copper Antisieze at Pep Boys or Autozone. I will probably order it online and have to pay shipping. I used the basic brake grease in the little plastic packets from Autozone, and my brakes are squeeking like crazy.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

i used the standard brake grease from the packets and 1k miles into the brakes without a chirp. the copper is preferred... but in my case (probably lucky for now) it wasn't a must
Old Nov 9, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

is the brake grease something necessary when changing brakes or is it just an option?
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aikido
is the brake grease something necessary when changing brakes or is it just an option?
Yes, I believe it is needed. The stock pads require it too. I've seen the little packets of stuff the dealer uses, and it looks very much like the copper anti-sieze.