Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Strange Parking Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange Parking Light Problem

All my fuses are fine, none of them are blown. I haven't figured out how to check the bulbs, but it seems unlikely they would both blow out at the exact same time. Anyone know why my front parking lights won't illuminate anymore, even though they are fused with lots of other things that are working fine? It's an '03 Evo...

Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure i know what a "front parking light" is, but i'm guessing it's just going to be a bulb. They're cheap and easy to fix. Since you checked fuses, i'd put $5 on it and say your bulb blew.

You can check them by pulling them out of the housing and take a close look at the inside. A good bulb will have a tiny tiny coil running from one barb to the other. When bulbs "blow", the coil will sometimes just role around inside the light and you'll know right away it's bad. Other times it will stay hanging on to one barb or the other. I know my 05 brake light bulb has two of these coils in each light. If one goes bad, you'll have to change the entire light. Costs like $4 or something for 2 bulbs...

EDIT: Be carefull when installing bulbs. DO NOT TOUCH them! A fingerprint of the smallest size can cause your bulb to burn out again in a matter of days.

Last edited by walkedu; Dec 21, 2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by walkedu
I'm not sure i know what a "front parking light" is, but i'm guessing it's just going to be a bulb. They're cheap and easy to fix. Since you checked fuses, i'd put $5 on it and say your bulb blew.

You can check them by pulling them out of the housing and take a close look at the inside. A good bulb will have a tiny tiny coil running from one barb to the other. When bulbs "blow", the coil will sometimes just role around inside the light and you'll know right away it's bad. Other times it will stay hanging on to one barb or the other. I know my 05 brake light bulb has two of these coils in each light. If one goes bad, you'll have to change the entire light. Costs like $4 or something for 2 bulbs...
I was looking through the manual, and it calls them "Position Lights." I am talking about the lights that illuminate when the headlight switch is between off and on. There are two in the tail lights and two in the headlight clusters. Both of the ones in the headlight clusters (The top yellow lights) stopped working at the same time.

From what I can tell, those lights aren't accessible without removing something like the front tires/splash guard, or the front bumper/entire light cluster. It doesn't say specifically how to remove the lights, and since it isn't obvious to me, I was just going to post here and see if someone had a similar experience, what they did about it, and why it happened in the first place.

Is it possible that when one blows out, the other stops working as well?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know for sure, but i would say yes. It is "possible" they both blew at the same time or one caused the other to go out. You may have a short in your system some place? As far as taking all kinds of crazy parts off to change your bulbs.. I can't say for sure, but it doesn't seem to like that would be the way to do it. The only time i was messing with my bulbs is when i cooked my headlights open to paint them. I removed my whole bumper for that and can't say for sure if i could have removed all my bulbs with the whole system in place? I'd try and change them 1st, before messing with wiring and volt meters and such.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

I had them replaced at a local place for free + cost of bulbs. You have to get at them by unscrewing the damn wheel well liner. what a pain in the ****.