Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

350Z, s2000 or EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350Z, s2000 or EVO?

Alright well a buddy of mine currently has a 2004 Cavalier that is soon to be paid off over the next 5 months. He is looking at a Honda s2000, 350Z and an EVO. His price range is $17,000-$23,000. He loves the EVO for its ability to contend with almost any car on the road in every catagory however the ownership costs scare him away, he thought of a convertible but the s2000 is the only thing that really appealed to him and mostly because of its styling, build quality with no worrys of reliability because it's a Honda and the 350Z for it's styling and it is priced well. Here are a pros and cons list of the cars I was hoping I could get some help with this.

Evolution:PROS

All season drivable
Responds extremely well to mods
Space is never an issue

Evolution: CONS

I hear it is VERY expensive to own
Mods can be addicting
Buying used may be tricky

350Z: PROS

Sexy
You can find a 03 or 04 used with under 30k for $20,000 all day long
You can buy the car, add a few bolt ons and enjoy, no need to worry about making gobs of power because it's just too expensive with this car
Easy to find a nice taken care of used Z, there is alot less to worry about when buying an N/A over forced induction

350Z: Cons

Need to have a winter car
Never going to be very fast unless you stumble accrossed a large chunk of cash to go forced induction (wouldn't happen)
Lots have them, yuppies too
Reliability (I hear they are not very solid well built and Nissan is no where near Toyota and Honda)

s2000: PROS

Sexy
Convertible
LOTS of piece of mind in regards to long lasting life
Handles great

s2000: CONS

Wheres the low end grunt?
No Space
Expensive to make fast

Those were some things we came up with, lack in space is not extremely important however only having two seats kinda sucks, the best part about the Z and s2000 that is alot more appealing is that you can find a nice one fairly easily with so much less to worry about when buying used than an EVO, you can buy, drive and the costs to own compared to the EVO is alot cheaper I'm sure, the only problem is that I hear lots of horror stories of Nissan built cars and that Z would probobly have problems once 50k+75k rolled around. The s2000 and 350Z however can't really put up much when challenged though, unless forced induction modded or extremely built it doesn't touch an EVO, there is less temptation however to spend every dime you have making more power because the TT and SC kits for the Z are so expensive and they still only run low 13s modded, same goes for the s2000... Turbo or SC you still get beat by SRT's with half the cash invested.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

try to get the evo...evo's very practical for a sports car

about the mod bug comment...well that's not really a problem b/c its just more of human control rather than machine's fault/weakness...if he learns that power isn't everything, than he's gonna be fine.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

evo+++++ its the best all around, most room, easiest to mod, best performance. used 04-05 for low 20's. good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:44 PM

FOr $23K he should also look at a used supra....they are out there for that price
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Well is the EVO really THAT expensive to own? seems as if they need replacement parts so often, pads, tires, clutch... how often do certain things need to be replaced, I suggested to him the 350Z because he can buy, drive and not worry about competition however being a heavy car that it is I don't know, they don't seem fast... 14.5 sec car with an average driver, 14 flat with slicks and a good one... so I hear.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On an evo site you're going to get nothing but people saying evo.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

and the survey saysssssssssssss 350z.

im sorry. i have one. *hides*
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Have you driven an EVO? Why did you buy your Z and how do you like it?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:05 PM

Evo
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

used supras are nice. but they are older cars... and they dont have any sort of warranty at all.... and its a 2 door.. and its not awd..

sorry i love the evo
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

yea i've driven an evo...MR at that.....i loved it..LOVED IT...dont get me wrong...but i had a us lancer already (no comparison to the evo)....and i figured i wanted something real sleek and sexy. i love my Z...aside from dropping panties left and right....it handles amazingly and has a nice pickup to it.... it's also a vehicle i've always wanted.. like i said..dont get me wrong... i love evo's but the Z got me. plus i got it for a good deal.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:10 PM
ELF
Evolving Member

EVO ALL DAY
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:12 PM

evos are actually not expensive to maintain, it is actually cheaper than my m3 or m roadster.
I guess it depends on what car you are coming from.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

TT Supra is out, he doesnt want to get too deep into his car, that's why I suggested the Z, you can buy and drive, the evo has alot to offer but at a price, high maintinence, high performance parts that don't last very long ie. brake pads, tires and what else. I heard from CnD pads for that car were like $900 bucks installed
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

This is a very good point about very frequent maintenance that I would continually like to find out more on since I am planning on getting an Evo sometime soon. I really can't afford to dump money every other month into a car to keep it running. Don't get me wrong, I realize that you have oil changes etc...as you would with any n/a car. However, I have a hard time thinking about changing out the transmission/diff. fliuds along with the oil as well as having to resort to more reasonable lower performance tires after the Advans quickly wear out. Seems like there is always some kind of maintenance to do instead of just getting in and driving. I will have to get over all that though since I just have to have one!

Quick Reply: 350Z, s2000 or EVO?