Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tanabe Concept G Blue EVO Turboback Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirloin1219
ok ok so it's 98% true. not sure how different metals can restrict flow. i understand rust can restrict flow, but lets use ceteris paribus, all exhausts equal. lets say we are comparing a 3" titanium, 3" alluminum, 3" stainless steel. there are no neck downs. it's a full 3" all the way through. do you think there will be a difference in performance between the 3?
Originally Posted by ct9a gsr
This is not 100% true... here's a couple of examples:

1. There are plenty of exhausts out on the market that are advertised as 3" turbo-back exhausts. Upon more careful inspection, some of these exhausts taper down to 2.75" at the flanges then go back to 3". Also, some exhausts have a inner-diameter that's smaller than 3" and have a 3" outter-diameter. Also, some exhausts use a smaller than 3" inlet for their mufflers.

2. Exhausts systems are generally made out of three metal types... mild steel, stainless steel, or titanium... and sometimes a combination of the three. If weight matters, which it does to some, this could be a big impact. If future rusting matters, again, this could be a big issue.
I tried searching for the word "flow" in my post but couldn't find it... not even once... maybe my ctrl+f is broken?

Also, my point with the neck-downs is EVERY company that manufactures a 3" TBE w/ a neck-down advertises it as a 3" TBE... so its very hard for the consumer to differentiate between which 3" TBE's have neck-downs and which don't without further knowledge of the specific product... which further fuels my arguement saying no, not EVERY 3" TBE is the same.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Tanabe Ultra medallion and it definitely on the loud side..... Fit and finish is awesome as usual from Tanabe.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sirloin1219
i hope your kidding lol. maybe if it weighed less then yea i could understand price, but we are talking about performance . i can't see me paying 850 for a catback. when i can pay 500 for a full tbe.

and the catback i have. i got used so it's was alot cheaper haha. so im not a hypocrite hahah
Yes I am kidding. A 3 inch pipe is a 3 inch pipe whether it is made in the USA, China, Japan, etc. The only difference is in the marketing and the size of the muffler.

Also, this neck down flange BS is blown out of proportion. I have a "power robbing" neck down flange on my car and made a quiet 348 hp and 348 torque to the wheels.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
Also, this neck down flange BS is blown out of proportion. I have a "power robbing" neck down flange on my car and made a quiet 348 hp and 348 torque to the wheels.
It's not really "blown out of proportion"... some of us enthusiasts want the most power possible with out setups.. even if just 2-5whp from a bottle-neck'd flange. I don't know why you state your whp/wtq... it means nothing unless you dyno before and after getting rid of the bottleneck.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ct9a gsr
It's not really "blown out of proportion"... some of us enthusiasts want the most power possible with out setups.. even if just 2-5whp from a bottle-neck'd flange. I don't know why you state your whp/wtq... it means nothing unless you dyno before and after getting rid of the bottleneck.
Yes it is blown out of proportion. If you believe that 2-5 whp can be gain from removing the "bottleneck" then more power to you. I would love to see that dyno run. "Bottlenecks" decrease hp/tq as much as grounding kits increase hp/tq. i.e "0"
Old Mar 11, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

First off, there is too much misconception going around here about exhuasts. Some 3" exhausts produce more power than others and thats a fact, most arn't the same, the reason why is the "design" and "materials". When the engine is on it's final stroke (the exhaust stroke), the exhaust valves open up and the cylinder pushes out the exhaust gas, when the valves close near the end of that stroke, the ineritial movement of the gass will have a vacume effect on the camber (exahust people call it evacuation), the less exhaust gas present after the exhaust stroke finishes results in a more powerful combustion due to a higher purity of air, now the design of exahust will dictate how capable the exhaust is the evacuate the cylinder, the more ineritial movement the better (thus this backpressure = more bottom end phoenom). Becasue as you decrease area of flow, you increase velocity an ineritia being a function of velocity (venturi effect), but this will hinder top end due to not enough area to flow greater amounts of exhaust gas. Next is the meterial, some materials have different resonance properties, not only do resonators and mufflers dampen the sound, the meterial does as well, the better the meterial can rebound the wave to create a sine and negative sine curve, the more sound that is canceled out at the 0 amplitude of those 2 curves (the curves being created by the meterial. Now to take into account that you have a turboed evo, you have exhaust "energy" being convereted into movement, and by the laws of the convervation of energy, energy is not produced, it is derived from another sources and that source loses it's potential or kenitic energy (like a nueclear reactor creating steam from radioactive reactions and having the steam lose it's power by spinning a magnetic turbine thus effecting the electro coil around it to produce energy to use for say a light bulb thus that light bulb give off heat and light and so on). Well since the turbo is taking exhaust energy and converting it into kenetic energy, the sound potential of the exhaust is decreased since sound is a form of energy (air molecules vibrating). Now add the turbo and you also have a problem of evacuation of the cylinders at low RPMs but that high RPMs it can semi-adhere to the rules of a NA exhaust. Not all exhaust are created the same nor are they the same thus why different exhausts produce different power even though they are both 3". This blog is just meant to clear up some confusion spreading around these boards. As for the thread starters question, megan exhaust is SS, it's a full 3" and has great build quality for 500 bucks for a full TBE, get it.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys for your responses I think that I am going with the Tanabe exhaust. I will let you all know how it goes after I get it and install it.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:53 AM

good choice! ill post some clips of my concept g blue when i get it installed!
Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by g35sammy
good choice! ill post some clips of my concept g blue when i get it installed!
Please do. I've owned 4 Tanabe exhausts on 4 previous cars, so I'm interested in getting one for my EVO.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

I got the tanabe cat back....ultramedallion, and turboxs t/p and d/p, if any of you want to hear it, just pm me with your phone number and you can hear it over the phone.....haha
Old Mar 17, 2006, 05:33 PM

I have their downpipe...great investment, and still extremely happy with it. I'm personally looking at the touring which is on the quieter side, but their G Blue seems like a good buy since it comes with downpipe, straight pipe and exhaust for under a grand retail, and much less street price.

They have some new pictures and sound clips up!
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/soundclips.asp

I've never been a fan of the 3000GT, but it really sounds amazing!

I see no restrictions on that beauty!

g35sammy> did you install yours yet? Im dying to hear this one!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

here you go:

http://1.myfreebulletinboard.com/evo808-about292.html

compare away with 12 different exhausts. hope it helps.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:10 PM

good link :thumbsup:

That was a good article, but I believe they only tested the catback portions of those exhausts. There are more gains to be found when eliminating the restrictions closer to the engine (ie: downpipe + cat). Anyone have a dyno of the G blue complete system, and not just catback?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
How loud is it in comparison to existing exhausts?

thanks
Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

well, besides its a very attractive looking exhaust, and 3 inch it would appear to be good. havent seen or heard one in person. but i know tanabe makes good stuff. only thing being is the price factor. which would stray me away from it.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Concept G Blue EVO Turboback Exhaust