Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Smokin' the competition without Telegraphing it

Old May 6, 2003, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smokin' the competition without Telegraphing it

Being an European I am not used to street racing from the lights and I am still trying to work out "the rules" ( if any ).

The biggest question on my mind is how to know when the other guy is wanting to race. If they're revving their engine, yeah it's pretty obvious. But a lot don't, especially the bigger engined cars.

To give an example some old guy in a BMW 745 was tight on my *** the other day trying to get by. We came to the lights he was behind me, and I accelerated away hard and left him standing. At the next light he pulls alongside me, avoids eye contact, no revving engine nothing. But when the light changes he launches it hard. Thinking he wasn't gonna race, I set off normal, saw him pulling away, but it was already too late He was way ahead. He was obviously over the moon about it as he slowed down later to gloat

Looking at the 745 on paper it has 349 hp and a **** load of weight , 0-60 is 6 seconds or so, so in theory I could have creamed his *** ??. But to do so I would have had to do a 4k launch. That's not gonna happen at every light.

Does anyone have a good way to get a reasonable launch without telegraphing it to the other guy ??

Also, anybody taken on a 745i ? How did you fair ?
Old May 6, 2003, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You always have to be ready at a light. What I do is take off right when the light turns green. This usually gets a jump on the car next to me, which forces them to show their hand if they want to race. They either jump forward, or you can hear their engine rev. Then mash the gas and 'yer off. Of course, all this is done under safe conditions (and I'm serious).
Old May 6, 2003, 02:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You probably wouldn't even have to do a real launch.. just lay into it hard after you get rolling..
Old May 6, 2003, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

That's one thing I'm not looking forward to. Everyone and their brother will want to 'test' my Evo.
I've no problems with a good race, but what about those pesky punks in their riced Cavaliers and Hyundai's? How do we save face with them?

In my GSX, I'd normally 'shoo' them away and tell them they aren't worth the gas...
Old May 6, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Heggley
That's one thing I'm not looking forward to. Everyone and their brother will want to 'test' my Evo.
I've no problems with a good race, but what about those pesky punks in their riced Cavaliers and Hyundai's? How do we save face with them?

In my GSX, I'd normally 'shoo' them away and tell them they aren't worth the gas...

Cavaliers and Hyundais? Just tell 'em the same thing!
Old May 6, 2003, 02:50 PM

It's been my experience that if he got that big of a jump on you, you should let him go. There is always another stop light if you feel the need.
Old May 6, 2003, 02:56 PM

This is what I'd do.......
Just take off normally like you usually do, whether it be fast, medium, slow. However, if at the light they start revving, creeping forward, or look at you funny, you launch and launch hard. Or if you're taking off normally and they take off faster than you, don't even try to catch up cuz they had a head start....just pull up at the next light and talk smack and then dust them. If you never see them again after they initially beat you without you even trying, who gives a crap....you weren't trying.

Gormless, in your particular situation, the fact that he was tight on your ***, that he is a yuppy in a bmw, and that he pulled up next to you at the light rather than behind you, should have excited the road rage in you and you should have dusted him at the light.

Heggley,
As far as cavaliers and Hyundais go, these ppl I would not worry about, they know their cars suck and probably wouldn't even pull all the way up to the line. Who you have to worry about are either the super yuppies in the BMW 7s with sunglasses on and their cell phones at the ear, or the hick in the big truck who loves to tailgate ppl and drive like an *** just cuz his car is big and he has a raiders sticker on the back. I would dust these 2 species whenever I'm at the light with them.

Old May 6, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by BiggameJames
Or if you're taking off normally and they take off faster than you, don't even try to catch up cuz they had a head start....
Yeah, this what I starting to think too, especially with "big motors". Something lower powered like a civic or Integra, I've managed to pull past even with them getting a head start.

Gormless, in your particular situation, the fact that he was tight on your ***, that he is a yuppy in a bmw, and that he pulled up next to you at the light rather than behind you, should have excited the road rage in you and you should have dusted him at the light.
Normally yes. But I was looking for eye contact, some kind of sign that he was going to go for it again, but the guy was just totally looking the other way. That's why I am kind of thinking for cars where the 0-60 times are in the general ball park, you got to launch the Evo right or forget it. It doesn't have the torque low down to make up for a slow start. Even worse is if you bog it.
Old May 6, 2003, 04:17 PM

Ah, the classic yuppie ambush.

You need to think like Dubya.....a preemptive strike. But it sounded like he pulled a fast one on you- it wasn't a real race.
PS: is the 745 you're talking about that latest generation one....you know the really ugly *** boat? or was it the previous generation boat?
Old May 6, 2003, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

I used to have a 540i with a 6 speed manual. They are heavy but surprisingly fast. Has the same snap-you-back feel of the Evo. The problem is traction... easy to spin those tires if you turn off traction control. Advantage goes to the awd Evo
Old May 6, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by BiggameJames

PS: is the 745 you're talking about that latest generation one....you know the really ugly *** boat? or was it the previous generation boat?
It was the latest generation 745.
Old May 6, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

this kinda reminds me of this guy in a brand new corvette (not z06). he saw my car and took off and slowed down and i pulled up next to him and nodded, downshifted and took the **** off and so did he but the evo power ruled.

Search this Thread