Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does your insurance cover you?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does your insurance cover you?

I’ve been planning on attending some driving events to keep my skills in order, plus I just love to drive my car close to the limits. I decided to call my insurance agent , in my case State Farm. I asked about an upcoming event that is NOT a competition, but rather a performance oriented driving event conducted on a private raceway. They stated that as long as it is not a race or a competition, I’m fully covered. That also includes any driving event or road trip that is not a race or competition. Full coverage is in effect.

On the other hand, participating in ANY competition or RACE is excluded from ALL coverage! That includes SCCA, ¼ mile passes, etc. If it’s a COMPETITION or a RACE, you don’t have insurance coverage(at least w/ State Farm).
I’m posting this because I was unaware that my insurance didn’t cover these events (I should have guessed that, duh!)and didn’t want to hear of someone going to the ¼ mi track, having a wreck, only to find out they aren’t covered. That would suck!
It's better to "know" than to "think" you're covered!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I beleive it depends on your provider though, however it does suprise me to hear it. But it does make sense . Pretend you are the insurance provider... Many people wreck cars in racing then normal driving. It just makes more sense.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I believe Progressive's policy has a clause that any driving at all on a "closed course" is not covered. Not all companies have the same leniency. =)
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

My company also has a clause where they state anything in a "racing facility" is not covered. I would assume that to mean timed or untimed. Be careful when contacting your insurance carrier about your coverage for these events, there are several people out there who have been subsequently dropped just for inquiring about it.

There is a company out there which provides supplemental insurance for HPDE's. I believe the name is American Collectors Insurance. They basically insure your car for autox and HPDE's (no competition). The rate is around $15/$1000 covered and I think the deductable is $5000. Not too bad if you wad up a $30K car. At $30K value you are looking at $450/yr for the policy. I may be purchasing it myself next year.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kekek
My company also has a clause where they state anything in a "racing facility" is not covered. I would assume that to mean timed or untimed. Be careful when contacting your insurance carrier about your coverage for these events, there are several people out there who have been subsequently dropped just for inquiring about it.

There is a company out there which provides supplemental insurance for HPDE's. I believe the name is American Collectors Insurance. They basically insure your car for autox and HPDE's (no competition). The rate is around $15/$1000 covered and I think the deductable is $5000. Not too bad if you wad up a $30K car. At $30K value you are looking at $450/yr for the policy. I may be purchasing it myself next year.
That does sound like it might be worth it for someone who has a lot of track time. I might look into it as well.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:06 AM
mot
Evolved Member

when i was at limerock they had a drivers ed class
as long as the event wasnt timed everyones insurance covered them fully
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mot
when i was at limerock they had a drivers ed class
as long as the event wasnt timed everyones insurance covered them fully
Is that what *they* said, or is that what your insurer said?

I know for a fact that mine says *anything* on a closed course isn't covered. I don't have my policy booklet here at work, I'll check for the exact wording when I get home if I remember.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

They arent going to drop you for inquiring, though they might drop you for doing an event w/out an alternate coverage. like I said It's better to "know" then to "think" you're covered, just be safe and check to find out what is covered and what is excluded.