Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and, seriously, you don't even own an evo to judge.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, people hype the crap out of the car, but thats not your original arguement. You stated you thought it was over-rated, which is why I questioned your purchase. Of course their will be idiot fan-boys surrounding this vehicle, but its nothing to concern yourself with. And to the post regarding Evos not being made to do the 1320, your my new best friend. I think its quite insulting to the engineering that went into the vehicle to just use it as a quarter mile rocket. Yes it can accelrate fast, but thats not the point. Cheers Varrius.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wrxIIevo
and, seriously, you don't even own an evo to judge.
OK I dont own a Evo?...lol Why dont you ask Al from Dynoflash...I just had my Evo 9 Flashed lol.

People stop being cheerleaders and read the original thread...Nobody is saying the EVo is a POS....It's great car but Stock IMO Overhyped..People please READ.

STOCK...<---- Key word

Originally Posted by Varrius
You guys are basing your opinions on being dyno queens and drag racers, typical Americans. Why not look at the car from what it was made to be. The car isn't an NHRA drag racer with 1000 whp. Infact the japanese don't even mod these cars for the 1320. Probably why we have the highest horsepower Evo(supposedly) and the fastest one in a straight line after only having two of the nine models ever produced. It goes to show how ignorant we are. If you want horsepower and drag racing power, please, go get a mustang. Don't go by a rally-bred AWD race car and expect it to be a drag monster. The fact alone that this vehicle was bred solely to take turns like no other and race in the dirt, yet is still killing people in the 1/4 mile is astonishing, though. The japanese people had no intentions for this car to be a drag-warrior. Maybe thats why we go through clutches and LSDs faster than any other country with the Lancer Evolution. Could it be that this ten year engineered bearer of the 4G63 was not intended to run in a straight line, nor put down huge numbers on a dyno!? Maybe thats why the clutches weren't engineered for fat americans to launch the crap out of them. I watched a video recently where an American tuned Evo with a god-foresaken amount of power attempted to take down a japanese bred evo with barely 400 whp. The japanese evo was bred for response. So, lo-and-behold the high-horsepower guy fell behind in the first few turns, probably because he had some huge turbo that was going in and out of the power band, and by the time it made its 800 something horsepower, the japanese driver had put three - four more seconds on him. I know you all will argue with me, now. You will tell me your opinions, etc. But I'm sorry, I will take the advice from the japanese people, who not only made this car, but have had it long before most of us knew what it was.
I also concur. I do not understand the fascination with the drag racing and peak horsepower. I try to mod my car for the best engine and handling response, and believe that average horsepower is much more important than peak. I just wish more people understood, so the aftermarket will tune their products for response/power under the curve, than peak horsepower. At least Works/Cosworth tried to do that with their new camshafts for the ix's.
Evolving Member

Honestly, I Love my stock IX and it's handling abilities, for anyone complaining about power, take it auto-crossing, you'll see that it has a perfect blend of power...overrated...no way.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Myabe I chose the wrong words...Overhyped is more of what I had in mind.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

IX is so much more linear than previous evo ,
when it lags like hell , it actually feels faster =p
300HP is norm for today anyway
u can buy a dozen of 300HP car now , but 5 yrs ago there were close to none

A Camry / Rav4 only 2 HP shy from 03 evo
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

i used to want an rsx....i thought they looked awesome and they do....but i drove one and i was like....this is no different than driving a civic or regular honda car...i mean it has no torque....it's like 201 hp and 140 ft/lbs. of torque or something....the evo has twice that much....hence it is basically twice as fast ....lol

right now there are basically 3 choices for performance...the evo, sti, and the 350z...unless you want to got the mustang/corvette route...there are othere options but they take a lot of work and really come up short to the ones i have listed.....of course there's always a lambo or something but who can afford that?

i mean you have the s2000 and the rx-8 but they aren't that great

then again you might get lucky and find a supra or even luckier and find a skyline

Last edited by kilgoja; Oct 12, 2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:22 AM

I love my evo. Its a great car stock, and get crazy when modded.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:23 AM

overhype might be acceptable term.
to identify evo as overrated, first, you have to show us, WHAT is UNDERRATED!
overhyped is still argueable, because evos have proven itself to be so competitive, even in stock form, almost no car under $40-$50G beat it in performance anyway, so i really don't know what you are trying to state without any obvious proofs here, buddy.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboIX
Myabe I chose the wrong words...Overhyped is more of what I had in mind.
You know, now that I think about it, you're right: Instead of having three high-tech differentials, it should have six! Instead of having massive Brembo brakes, it should have carbon fiber discs! Instead of a magnesium valve cover, it should be solid gold.

The valves should be filled with argon gas and the suspension should be titanium. There should be five intercoolers. The tires should by $600 each instead of $300. The boost should be 2,000 PSI instead of 20. The 0 - 60 time should be 2.5 instead of 4.5, and the top speed should be 220 instead of 167. It should pull two Gs on the skidpad and have eight gears.

Oh, yeah; the price be cheaper, too.

Freakin flame bait.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

i frequent about 7 or 8 car forums, and most people know that a stock Evo VIII/IX aren't that quick, esp. on the highway. most people respect it for the potential it has and the power to dollar ratio (even most domestic guys have big respects for the Evo's due to this factor)

with bolt-on's a tune and some suspension mods and tunes the Evo is a really tough car to beat around a track, at the same time still offering 4 doors and seat 5 people comfortably...hard to beat that.

people that overrate a stock Evo dont really no idea what they're talking about. off a roll an s2000, 350z, srt4, now the ms3 are all drivers' race. handling isn't that spectecular either comparing to the z33 and esp. the s2000.

4g63 is asleep out of the factory, but it takes very little to wake it up.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Varrius
You guys are basing your opinions on being dyno queens and drag racers, typical Americans. Why not look at the car from what it was made to be. The car isn't an NHRA drag racer with 1000 whp. Infact the japanese don't even mod these cars for the 1320. Probably why we have the highest horsepower Evo(supposedly) and the fastest one in a straight line after only having two of the nine models ever produced. It goes to show how ignorant we are. If you want horsepower and drag racing power, please, go get a mustang. Don't go by a rally-bred AWD race car and expect it to be a drag monster. The fact alone that this vehicle was bred solely to take turns like no other and race in the dirt, yet is still killing people in the 1/4 mile is astonishing, though. The japanese people had no intentions for this car to be a drag-warrior. Maybe thats why we go through clutches and LSDs faster than any other country with the Lancer Evolution. Could it be that this ten year engineered bearer of the 4G63 was not intended to run in a straight line, nor put down huge numbers on a dyno!? Maybe thats why the clutches weren't engineered for fat americans to launch the crap out of them. I watched a video recently where an American tuned Evo with a god-foresaken amount of power attempted to take down a japanese bred evo with barely 400 whp. The japanese evo was bred for response. So, lo-and-behold the high-horsepower guy fell behind in the first few turns, probably because he had some huge turbo that was going in and out of the power band, and by the time it made its 800 something horsepower, the japanese driver had put three - four more seconds on him. I know you all will argue with me, now. You will tell me your opinions, etc. But I'm sorry, I will take the advice from the japanese people, who not only made this car, but have had it long before most of us knew what it was.
Well said!!!

My Opinion,
The only thing better then an EVO VIII is an EVO IX.
Next year it will be the EVO X
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:26 AM

well the evo 9 is the last of the 4g63, the next evo X is going to have the new 4gb11... chaning to a new engine isnt always the best thing for a car manufacturer to do some times it brings the death of a car. Ive also heard that the lancer will soon come awd and with a turbo, im not talking evo i am talking a regular lancer. so if the evo IX 9 being the last of that paticular engine it is definatly not over rated its pretty much the last of that kinda of evo to be produced.
(in my oppinion)
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rod Munch
No. If anything, it's undervalued.

Quick Reply: Do you feel a stock evo 9 is overrated?