Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone have the RMR cat back exhuast? I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2003, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have the RMR cat back exhuast? I have some questions

Did anyone else buy the RMR cat back ???

I just got mine today - it looks good

BUT - I am having some troubles getting it to fit properly - I called RMR they said to loosen the entire exhuast and try twisting it about to get it to line up better - (it does not sit in the middle of the hole in the rear bumper)

I did this once already and it sits slightly better - but still off to the side rubbing against the bumper cover

Just wanted to know if anyone else has put one of these in - did it fit properly ?? Did you have similar problems with the install - - do I need to go to Midas muffler to make this fit properly ?

Thanks
Old May 14, 2003, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed RMR Alignment Issue

Try using some spacers on the furthest back hanger. I had some guys in my shop do this and it helped a bunch. How does the performance feel to you.. low and hi end.
Old May 14, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Fixed RMR Alignment Issue

Originally posted by Mits Man
Try using some spacers on the furthest back hanger. I had some guys in my shop do this and it helped a bunch. How does the performance feel to you.. low and hi end.
You mean washers or something under the 12 mm bolt that goes through the rubber hanger and into the muffler in the very back ? How is that going to move the exhaust - its very rigid when its installed ?

I have not driven the car yet - its still up on lifts while I attempt to sort this out
Old May 14, 2003, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Al, what happened with the Pruven cat back?
Old May 15, 2003, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WRX1832
Al, what happened with the Pruven cat back?
Nothing - I decided to try something super quiet - but alas - NOW I have some serious fitament issues - this thing just does NOT fit right on my car

For this kind of $$$ - almost $1,000.00 for the downpipe and cat back - I'd expect it to fit 100%

At least my lowley Pruven Performance 2.5" axel back at only $249.00 fit like a GLOVE - dead center in the exhaust cut out in the bumper cover

This RMR cat back 3" sits all the way on the left side (drivers) of the hole and actually sits up against the bumper cover

This is the kind of hassels I just don't need when spending $1,000 on an exhuast
Old May 15, 2003, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

i hear that ****... i hope my Ralliart does not have fitment issues...

if i were you, i'd take it to the muffler shop... those guys migh be dumber than **** (well some of them), but they can hang exhausts...!
Old May 15, 2003, 02:05 AM
Evolving Member

non-JDM = huge gamble
Old May 15, 2003, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 909
non-JDM = huge gamble
So true

I'm waiting till those guys open up in a couple of hours to seewhat they are going to offer to do about this

I really hope I dont have to take it to a muffler shop and having some cutting and wleding done to make this thing fit properly
Old May 15, 2003, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

if it's just hanging to one side, there shouldn't be any cutting or welding... maybe a little bending...?
Old May 15, 2003, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Well - I think the pipe would have to be CUT - then the angle adjusted and the joint re-welded back to fit properly Its going to be fun and games !
Old May 15, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

We have had all of our exhaust and down pipes fit 100% perfect by all of our customers. Alfriedesq called us this morning, we offered to have the system shipped back to us so that we may address this problem and get him up and running. We try to resolve any problem that may arise quickly and efficiently. The Ralliart system has more fitment issues. Its a very nice exhaust... for an Evo 7.
Old May 15, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

We have had all of our exhaust and down pipes fit 100% perfect by all of our customers. Alfriedesq called us this morning, we offered to have the system shipped back to us so that we may address this problem and get him up and running. We try to resolve any problem that may arise quickly and efficiently. The Ralliart system has more fitment issues. Its a very nice exhaust... for an Evo 7.
Old May 15, 2003, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well - RMR is certainly helping me out - they re-checked their jig for the rear section - and they made me up a new rear section and they are sending it to me by overnight UPS

I will report back tomorrow and let you all know how it works out !
Old May 15, 2003, 10:36 PM
Account Disabled

are you using the rmr downpipe as well? i just orered one today. I was going to get the catback as well, yet they are currently sold out. From what i understand it is the one system available for out cars at the moment that is not overly loud.
Old May 16, 2003, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by broken
are you using the rmr downpipe as well? i just orered one today. I was going to get the catback as well, yet they are currently sold out. From what i understand it is the one system available for out cars at the moment that is not overly loud.
Yes - I have their downpipe and cat back

I give it a 10 for sound - (very low volume - the way i like it - just a tad more rumbling than stock - just enough to let you know there is something back there)

9 for performance - espcially the down pipe - it really helped me to make a LOT more power

2 for fit - it fits about as badly as it can without actually hitting the car - - - PLUS I did not find out that I also needed to buy their underbrace to have lower tie bars untill AFTER I already b ought it

4 for appearance - they have spray painted all the joints where they welded - that looks amature - and from the rear the muffler comes in at a strange looking angle - nice tip but the looks aren't that great becuase of the muffler angle

9 for customer service - they are trying everything they can to make me happy

I hope that the new rear muffler section which I should have tomorrow resolves the FIT problems

Otherwise - its THE system to get if you want to be able to cruise down the highway without feeling like a rice burner with a earthquake can on the back

It reminds me of the APS systems they had for the WRX - they were also very quiet and factory like in sound

Quick Reply: Anyone have the RMR cat back exhuast? I have some questions