Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

turbo Back vs. Cat Back

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2003, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation turbo Back vs. Cat Back

Guys! can someone tell me the difference???PLEASE...all i know is one is less expensive than the other one
Old May 21, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

the turbo back exhaust piping starts from the turbo and flows straight back to the tip and cat back flows from the catalytic convertor.....turbo back has less restrictions
Old May 21, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

but i hear that the turbo back is better....? will it get rid of all those regulators?
Old May 21, 2003, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

More precisely in a turbo-back setup you're replacing the entire exhaust system from the turbo on back. This includes the downpipe, catalytic converter, midpipe, and muffler. A cat-back setup replaces only the parts after the cat, namely the midpipe and the muffler.

By replacing everything after the turbo, you have more opportunity to remove any restriction in your exhaust system. If you replace only what is behind the cat, you leave the potentially restrictive factory downpipe and catalytic converter.
Old May 21, 2003, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

ok....so is the turbo back the best way to go? or is that catback because of back pressure that the turbo needs?
Old May 21, 2003, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

well, you can also build it peice by peice.....get a cat back......then later a high flow cat or test pipe.....then finally a downpipe. Turbo back consists of a full exhaust system upgrade from the turbo back. Cat back is the portion after the cat.
Old May 21, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

you didn't answer my question dude....i wanna go with a thermal catback exhaust with a rmr downpipe, but if the turbo back is going to give me more horsepower, i wanna go that direction
Old May 21, 2003, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

actually, i did answer your question.

Turbo back just means exhaust upgrade from the turbo and back.

It's not one unit. It could be several units or even brands. So, theoretically, if you have an RMR down pipe, home made test pipe, and an HKS cat-back/muffler it would be called a turbo back system.

But, internally a company may offer a turbo back exhaust system.....that would consist of a down pipe, cat/test pipe, and cat-back (pipe and muffler).

If you chose to keep the stock downpipe and cat and just stick in a HKS pipe and muffler it would be considered a cat-back system since the exhaust has only been upgraded from the cat back.
Old May 21, 2003, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

ok...thanks for clarifying it like that...but i would like to know which one will give me more horsepower and more gain
Old May 21, 2003, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by cecilia
ok...thanks for clarifying it like that...but i would like to know which one will give me more horsepower and more gain
A turbo-back system gives more HP gain than a cat-back system.

But comparing an integrated turbo-back system with a pieced together down-pipe, cat replacement, and cat-back system -- it's pretty much impossible to tell without seeing dyno results of the two...
Old May 21, 2003, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

but according to vivid racing turbo back is better?
Old May 21, 2003, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

and also will you get the 20hp from a catback??
Old May 21, 2003, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cecilia
and also will you get the 20hp from a catback??
Cecilia, if you want ultimate power, you probably need to go with a turbo back, complete system. I think it's a bad idea to mix components from different manufacturers, you could end up with the worst of both worlds.....

IMHO, the cat back has some interesting advantages. First, if what they say (the vendors) is true, you do get a decent power increase. Second, if they make it right, it's a simpler installation and de-installation (for warranty purposes) than a full turbo back. Also, the price is considerably less, particularly if you factor in the labor to install it. I'm thinking of going with this one: http://groups.msn.com/Autopartsfromm...oto&PhotoID=12 It costs $480 plus shipping and it might be quite nice. I know the guy who makes them, he made the WRX turbo back system I had and his work is good, well made and good fit. There is also the possibility that he'll later make the matching downpipe and test pipe. That will make the fitment much more likely to be trouble free.....
Old May 21, 2003, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

All these guys are trying to tell is that if you bought a turbo back exhaust your going to get all your gains at one time. If you go with a cat back system you won't get full potential til you get a high flow cat or test pipe and a down pipe.

As far as how much HP your going to get? That has to be found out on the dyno. I would try to get #'s of of someone that actually dynoed the system themselves instead of just believing what is saying in the add in a magazine.
Old May 21, 2003, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

The less you replace....the less gains.
The more you replace....the more gains.

Cat back is only a couple of parts being replaced.
Turbo back is cat back plus a few more parts from the cat up to the turbo.

If you take into account the less = less and more = more lines at the top...

I know it's basic...but sometimes less is more. Wait...now I'm contradicting myself.

Quick Reply: turbo Back vs. Cat Back