Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HKS TI Cat-back + which high flow cat and downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS TI Cat-back + which high flow cat and downpipe?

I know that the HKS TI Cat-back is 3inch but tapers down to the stock cataltic convertor. Does that mean that the APS 3inch high flow cat won't fit right?

Link here: http://sgpracing-store.stores.yahoo....3hiflcata.html

Also should I get a downpipe with a flex section or is it not that important.

I was looking at this downpipe for my IX

http://sgpracing-store.stores.yahoo....oformievo.html

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

3 2 1 (prepare yourself)

It depends on how much you want to spend.

Tanabe makes a great dp, and you can get a cat-delete from pretty much anywhere.

Last edited by thatguy; Jan 21, 2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It doesn't matter as long as the parts are flanged. It's the pipe that tapers down, not the flange itself. You can get whatever HFC and DP you want, but the downside is you will have spent about $1100-1200 on a full exhaust that doesn't make much power - that's gotta be disappointing.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I have the DC Sports dp/tp with the HKS cat back. Fitment is perfect. Although you may get flamed as the HKS is not the best power mod. But it does make descent gains and looks and sounds great.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

TURBev08, he is asking about a hi-flow cat. That's a bigger effect on power than the HKS cat-back itself, although the HKS is certainly not worth $800-900 - to most - for only 10whp or so.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
TURBev08, he is asking about a hi-flow cat. That's a bigger effect on power than the HKS cat-back itself, although the HKS is certainly not worth $800-900 - to most - for only 10whp or so.

Agreed, but I got a great deal and did not buy it brand new.

I want an HFC to keep it street legal, cops do check in my area and I don't need the hassle.

Thanks for the info.

Since the HKS tapers down right at the flange can it affect power that much?

Warrtalon for the used HKS Carbon TI cat-back $450
New HFC $260.......Used $ 120
New DP $300........Used $150

So between $1,010 and 720

If I can stay around $800 for a full exhaust system I will be happy.

Last edited by Srt-4 Turbo 7; Jan 21, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

HFC is not street legal - it's still a federal offense to remove the stock cat. Common misconception by many. If you get caught, it's just as bad as a test pipe. However, you can pass visual inspection and usually pass emissions tests if that's all you care about. No, the neckdown isn't a big power loss, but the cat-back doesn't make much power in the first place. It's usually 10-15whp with a full 3", so your neckdown cat-back is probably closer to the 10whp range, and an HFC will make less than 5whp over the stock cat.

$800 is what you would pay for a brand spankin new BR TBE, and you can choose the HFC option. It's good you got the TI used, but it's still not worth that much when you can get a more powerful cat-back brand new for less. Hell, my entire Megan TBE I'm selling for $400 used. Anyway, personal preference, etc, so it doesn't matter.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

HFC is not street legal - it's still a federal offense to remove the stock cat. Common misconception by many. If you get caught, it's just as bad as a test pipe. However, you can pass visual inspection and usually pass emissions tests if that's all you care about. No, the neckdown isn't a big power loss, but the cat-back doesn't make much power in the first place. It's usually 10-15whp with a full 3", so your neckdown cat-back is probably closer to the 10whp range, and an HFC will make less than 5whp over the stock cat.

$800 is what you would pay for a brand spankin new BR TBE, and you can choose the HFC option. It's good you got the TI used, but it's still not worth that much when you can get a more powerful cat-back brand new for less. Hell, my entire Megan TBE I'm selling for $400 used. Anyway, personal preference, etc, so it doesn't matter.
"HFC is not street legal - it's still a federal offense to remove the stock cat. Common misconception by many. If you get caught, it's just as bad as a test pipe."

Wow I did not know that, thankyou.

I was looking into the BR turboback exhaust, but to be honest "Flame Suit On" regardless if the HKS will cost me 1-3whp I like the look of it.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
It doesn't matter as long as the parts are flanged. It's the pipe that tapers down, not the flange itself. You can get whatever HFC and DP you want, but the downside is you will have spent about $1100-1200 on a full exhaust that doesn't make much power - that's gotta be disappointing.
+1 on flanges not tapering
Evolved Member

I can't see my exhaust, so "looks" don't matter. AFter a few months of driving, it gets covered in durt, grime, and soot anyway, so I go with what makes the most power for the least money without falling apart. I also don't like huge fartcan 5" exhaust tips, but if I was industrious, I could have welded a different one on to my previous Megan TBE I'm sure...
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Srt-4 Turbo 7
"HFC is not street legal - it's still a federal offense to remove the stock cat. Common misconception by many. If you get caught, it's just as bad as a test pipe."

Wow I did not know that, thankyou.

I was looking into the BR turboback exhaust, but to be honest "Flame Suit On" regardless if the HKS will cost me 1-3whp I like the look of it.

i have a custom catback with hks carbon ti muffler. i also have a 3inch down pipe and custom test pipe. since we are in the same state maby we are in the same area. im willing to show it to you and let you here my setup if you like. my system has no neck downs resonators or anything.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i have a custom catback with hks carbon ti muffler. i also have a 3inch down pipe and custom test pipe. since we are in the same state maby we are in the same area. im willing to show it to you and let you here my setup if you like. my system has no neck downs resonators or anything.
Yeah that sounds good. I am in Monmouth County (Exit 105 off of the GSP), where are you located?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Srt-4 Turbo 7
Yeah that sounds good. I am in Monmouth County (Exit 105 off of the GSP), where are you located?

damn. im exit 28 off rt 80. sussex county
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

I can't see my exhaust, so "looks" don't matter. AFter a few months of driving, it gets covered in durt, grime, and soot anyway, so I go with what makes the most power for the least money without falling apart. I also don't like huge fartcan 5" exhaust tips, but if I was industrious, I could have welded a different one on to my previous Megan TBE I'm sure...
"so I go with what makes the most power for the least money " Yeah that goes with the same debate about EBC vs MBC. I am a MBC guy but many prefer to spend more on an EBC. All personal preference.

"without falling apart" The HKS better not fall apart. I ran that system on my 1988 300ZX Turbo and my 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo without any problems.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
damn. im exit 28 off rt 80. sussex county
D**n that's a little bit of a drive.

Quick Reply: HKS TI Cat-back + which high flow cat and downpipe?