Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just noticed something weird

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just noticed something weird

well to make a long story short i just got my car back this week after over a month in the body shop from a car accident back in december. anyways, they had to put the stock FMIC back on (i had a buschur FMIC with upper and lower piping). i noticed on the back of my car today what looks like exhaust soot all over the back of my rear bumper and my rear deck lid. The soot looks like little tiny dots all over the place. the soot wipes right off, but i have either a) never noticed it or b) something is wrong. my boost has been acting funny since i got the car back. i have a hallman mbc and with the boost set to 20 the boost will initially hit 17-18psi then it wont go up to 20 until it gets to above 4500 rpm. other than that the car runs fine.

anyone have any ideas?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Were you tuned for the intercooler piping and intercooler? If you were, you were tuned for less resistance in the intake and exhaust system, which means you now are running rich. Theoretically though, as I have no idea exactly how much more air you get out of intercooler pipes and an intercooler. :shrug:
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

I get the same SOOT on my rear bumper, its usually from running rich (which the evo does stock, even without a tune) AND running a TBE usually catless.

I have a very rich tune, and a RSR turboback with no cat - and yes i get a LOT of soot at times, its the worst during autocrosses.

What i did is bought a CF exhaust heat shield- to block some of the soot and to avoid my bumper from melting/discoloring from the heat.

The SS (stainless steel) heat shield sticks out a little more and should direct the soot furthur away, but IMHO i think its ugly as hell so i went with the CF!

HERE is the CF one:

AND the SS one:
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have that SS one, works like a charm, and it dosent look half bad on the car. When I get my car back on friday im going to have a photoshoot, so ill snap some closeups.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

i have the stainless one as well but i will be changing it soon. my car was tuned with the FMIC on it. if it is just running rich that is no biggie. i am brining my car in soon to install the 20G9lt and lots of other goodies. once all that goes on it will get another tune.

thanks for the help
Old Feb 25, 2007, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Why did they have to change your fmic?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Im guessing it was destroyed in the accident.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

your probably running rich and just need to throw on the BR IC and licp to get everything back to normal
Old Feb 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i would assume a stock FMIC is ridiculously high-priced so you'd be able to get a new buschur unit with the alotted money
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

yeah the insurance company screwed up. I had told them about the after market stuff i had on there and they said that they were going to cover it if i produced an invoice, which bushcur quickly did, but by the time i got it the stupid body shop had already ordered a stock one. I was pissed because the stock one was more expensive than the stocker...not to mention that i already had the stocker sitting at home. i have to get another aftermarket fmic because of the bigger turbo that is going in soon.