Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Odd battery question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2007, 06:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Odd battery question

To make a long story short, I went for some driving in the snow today for about 2 hours. This consisted mainly of doing drifts/donuts/etc. (in a parking lot of course)

Ultimately as many of you may know, the oil temps can get a bit high (compared to normal driving)...I peaked around 230-240 degrees F, which is the highest temp this car has seen. My front bumper was caked full of snow, blocking pretty much any air from hitting the intercooler, as well as the radiator btw.

Right when I got to my place, I noticed a funny smell. Almost smelled like spearmint gum to be honest (a sweet smell, almost like coolant, but this ISN'T a coolant issue). I popped the hood to notice that the red cap on the positive terminal of the battery was melting. Keep in mind, the cover (red cap) on the terminal was partially cut off by the previous owner for a stereo install, leaving the positive terminal somewhat exposed to the elements. I have nothing connected to the terminal as far as aftermarket mods/stereo parts...

I'm unsure of a few things that I'd like your guys ' input on:

1) With all the snow flying, obviously some entered the engine bay through the hood. Is it possible if water would hit the positive terminal of the battery, that it somehow would spark it to melt the red cover on the terminal?

2) Could it just be battery acid leaking? Does it smell?

3) Could the underhood temps have gotten so hot, that it would cause the cover to melt somehow?

Any thoughts, or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 battery acid does smell
2 melting rubber smells
3 make sure that ****s done right or you will regret it
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by jab_phoenix
3 make sure that ****s done right or you will regret it
Thanks for the input; care to explain this further though?

If it was battery acid, would it "melt" the plastic cover for the terminal?
Anyone else?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have gauges for a reason. I'd wager that your coolant reservoir overflowed from the abnormally high temps your coolant system saw while your front bumper was stuffed with snow. As for the melted terminal cover, I don't know.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trust me on you don't want to smell battery acid..

There is nothing sweet about it other than you loosing some of your sense of smell for awhile and burning your lungs.

Secondly, water itself is a VERY POOR conductor of electricity especially when you combine that with the really low voltages of a battery 12-14volts. Salt and water conducts far better.

Hot air may in all seriousness be the culprit of your mystery melting. Personally I'd check around for any other plastics which may have partially melted.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Well took it to the shop, and its not the battery. Its the terminal connector that has a small fuse on it. It seems to have shorted out somehow, and we aren't getting a good connection to the battery.

My local mitsu dealership needs to order a new cable, which will cost me $180...