Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Organize Group Purchase for Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Organize Group Purchase for Winter Tires

Since many of us will need to get winter tires, maybe we can cut down on costs by doing a group purchase? I am sure that many would be up for it.

We could start with a few polls to see what kind of setups people want. Is there anyone that wants to run with this idea? If we had a lot of people doing it we could probably save a nice chunk of change and use that money for more mods!

Let me know what you guys think.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'd be very interested, but I would be even MORE interested in a complete wheel and tire package that would fit the EVO. I'd much prefer just bolting a completely new set of wheels (and tires) on the car then trying to find someone that could unmount my Yoko tires, mount the winter ones (then store the Yokos) and go through the reverse process next March

I really hope someone comes up with some fairly inexpensive wheels that we could use for a winter package, I am not looking forward to dropping upto $500 for each wheel/tire combo (times 4!). That $2000 would be much better spent on an AFC, a couple of cams and maybe a boost controller!!

Somebody find some $100-$200 wheels that will fit on our cars!! I don't really care if they are ugly, they are gonna be covered in salt and packed with snow anyway. Heck, even steel wheels would be fine, I'd just spray paint them white to match the car and go snow driftin' in that bad boy!!!

Last edited by SpikeLS1; Jun 8, 2003 at 07:56 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

ditto
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

good idea, maybe 2 option.. 1) just wheels.. 2) cheap wheel/tires
Old Jun 8, 2003, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

I will be looking for rim/tire packages also. It's hard to think about winter tires when summer is not here yet!
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Right now the cheapest route to a set of winter wheels/tires would seem to be:

4 17x8 Mille Miglia HT3 Bright Silver Paint ($179.00) $716.00
4 235/45HR17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 ($165.00) $660.00

TOTAL=$1376.00 + shipping

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...&autoYear=2003

The wheels don't look too bad on the car either, but some cheaper wheels would still be nice. But even a 10% group by discount on this setup would be SWEET!!

And don't forget, summer might be the BEST time to get some leftover winter tires at a sweet discount.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:05 PM

Yeah I know that it is hard to think about but I want to get the ball rolling ahead of time.

If you guys could make some suggestions as to the combos that you want, I could get the pricing and start making some calls. I am with you though....I just care about cheep for the winter.

Anyone got any ideas on how to go about this?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

17x8 Mille Miglia HT3 (wheels painted silver)

Last edited by SpikeLS1; Jun 8, 2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Everyone would probably agree that Blizzaks are THE winter tires to get... even if they cost a few bucks more... but I for one completely agree on the cheaper the better as far as wheels go.

Going through a site sponsor would be the best bet. Once the sponsors realize that there are ALOT of EVO owners on this site and that literally EVERY EVO sold in the snow belt is going to NEED a set of these, they'll hopefully do the math and realize that they could have a sizable and very profitable group purchase on their hands...

If no site sponsor can help us, then maybe go to TireRack.com??
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:20 PM

Nice Job Spike. That looks like a good combo. What do the rest of your think? Maybe 3 options......then we do a poll. I will see if a Mod can make a sticky out of this and we can get a count.

I would like to have a number to go back to Tire Rack with so that they can work the numbers.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

i was checkin out the tirerack site also.. looks like a nice setup

would these come mounted?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Here are the wheels on other colors...

Can you tell I'm bored tonight?
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

lol, thanks for the pics...id be interested in the tires....get some volks for my yoks....

-shahul
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SpikeLS1
Everyone would probably agree that Blizzaks are THE winter tires to get... even if they cost a few bucks more... but I for one completely agree on the cheaper the better as far as wheels go.
I don't know about everyone. I personally prefer the Michelins Pilot Alpin. I also prefer to have them one size narrower and one size taller (ie, 225/50/17) but since they don't make that size I'll settle for 225/45HR17. I would also try the Dunlop M2 over the Blizzaks. I used the michelins for tha last 10 years (in Canadian winters too) and they are awesome tires, wear well and handle nicely for winter tires. I also had Pirelli winter tires and was not that impressed. The blizzaks are apparently great in pure snow though, but when do you actually get pure snow? In most cases, you drive in the damn salted wet slush frozen mix, not pure nice white snow. Also, according to some friends I have who ice race, the Blizzaks looze their bite once they get worn 1/2 way, the michelins do not (well, at least not so notecibly). Anyway, you may also want to check out Tire Rack's tire comparisons:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...R7210SNOWSP_=4

I do prefer cheap rims, I'd even go for steelies if they are available.

Also, I had a Bridestone blow up on one of my cars when I was passing a semi truck. I almost got sucked under the trailer becasue of it. So, if the Bridgestones will be the only tire option, and the tire width will not be downgraded one size to a 255, I'll pass on the group buy and will have to go my own route.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

personally prefer the Michelins Pilot Alpin
yep, i'd be in for Alpines...!

Quick Reply: Organize Group Purchase for Winter Tires