Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Glove box lock

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2007, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
send me a glove box from a lancer and then another glove box that has the lock and i will do it
Old Apr 19, 2007, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus if your glove box is locked, cops cant search it.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frenchy4g63
Plus if your glove box is locked, cops cant search it.
Yeah I'd have to disagree on that one but a locking glovebox would be nice

I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to make one
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Disagree all you want, it's the truth.

If you give permission to a cop to search your car, they can search the interior and the trunk. If the glove box is locked, they cannot search it. They can ask you to unlock it, but you can refuse.

Look it up.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
/\Got experience?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

It's stupid anyways because if a cops going to search your car and you refuse to open a compartment. they will just call a k9 unit and have the dog sniff out, then you must open the compartment.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

5^

- good call on cops.... Is that true btw?

But if it is... i want ^_^
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Not true. If a cops has a reasonable cause to search, He can search it all. He can ask you to unlock your glove box, if you refuse he can take you to jail on multiple charges. Or he can just pry it open with you lugnut iron.
A locked glovebox means nothing to a cop. Just keep things you dont want the law seeing, out of sight an you wont have problems.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

V.... Listen to frenchy, he knows it all....

oh, and look at that, a fellow milwaukee'an (is that what you would call it?)

lol

Last edited by xanderracing; Apr 20, 2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Fixes....
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Read my post again, I said, "If you give permission to a cop to search your car, they can search the interior and the trunk. If the glove box is locked, they cannot search it. They can ask you to unlock it, but you can refuse."

If you give permission, not them having probable cause.

If you are under arrest, or they have probable cause, then they can search anything they want, without your permission.

If they are just suspicious, and ask to search your car, they cannot unlock your glove box to search it.

Yes they can and will bring a K9 unit, I've had this happen, BUT unless there is something that the dog smells in the glove box, they cannot open it.

*edit* Oh and in my situation, I was riding with a couple of black friends in a rich area, and a cop stopped us. Said he thought we were looking for cars to break into.. He asked to search the vehicle, I refused, he said this and that, whatever, I knew my rights. He finally said, "stay here, I have a K9 unit on the way" I said fine, Ill be right here. He made us open the windows and the dog walked around the car, didn't smell anything, and he let us go. We didn't even have to get out of the car.

Cops can and will lie to you. Know your rights before you let them do anything. If they ask to search your car "just to make sure you dont have anything illegal" you can refuse. In my case if they want to be a dick, they will call a K9 unit. If you agree, and your glove box is locked, they cannot search it. They will probly tell you "I need you to unlock the glove box" but you dont have to. Untill you are under arrest, or they find something in the car to warrent them searching a locked glove box they cannot open it.

Last edited by Frenchy4g63; Apr 20, 2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Still, either way... as long as you dont have something for them to find, its a good way to keep thieves away, well or atleast make them take a bit longer

Last edited by xanderracing; Apr 20, 2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yup, and sorry to the OP, didn't mean to get off topic here...

Just thought I would mention another benefit of locking glove boxes. You know in case you need to saran wrap some contraband cover it with mustard and drive cross country..

But yeah, I apologize, and if you find a nice locking glove box that fits the Evo, post up the info.

You could probly cut a hole in it, and put in a lock cylinder from another vehicle, might be something to have done for you though.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

I've had a cop ask to search my car... I asked why he wished to search the car, he couldn't give me a reasonable answer, so I did not contest to a search... I went on my merry way.

But a glove box lock wouldn't be hard at all... I'd fab one up if someone could sell me the glovebox and latch pretty cheap and I'd make a write up. I've done it with an 88 Honda Civic, took maybe 20 minutes.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:14 PM

anyone do any DIYs for the glovebox?