Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rust in the engine bay & other things. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust in the engine bay & other things. Help please.

Here's 2 pics of some rust that's worrying me...

I installed a megan racing exhaust manifold and swapped in a TME turbo a while back...and i'm wondering if a exhaust leak could have caused that rust. Wasn't positive that I torqued everything down ( I'm not sure about anything really, only an amateur...)

Here's a picture of the left portion of the bottom of the manifold...I can't really see what I assume to be evidence of any leak from there, so i'm going to once again assume thats fine.

Here's my rusty O2 housing...

To sum up, I was wondering if an exhaust leak can cause rust or extra heat from the exhaust manifold. If exhaust leaks can't cause rust then what is / is it normal? I have a port & polished stock one sitting around, but each time I mess with my car I find myself with more and more problems so I'm hesitant to try anything. Next car i'm keeping stock

Oh and another thing...there's been this rattling/crackling noise in the engine bay/exhaust ever since I did the manifold/turbo install. It happens when the car is cold and is very audible from 2500-1500 RPM deceleration. It's not the downpipe knocking against the ?sway bar?(not sure what bar it is) I'm going to hope its just a washer I dropped somewhere into the engine bay, but if any of you have experience with such a noise from what may have been a bad exhaust install please feel free to chime in.

Thanks for the help and if you need any more pics i'll be glad to take em.

Edit: Car's been boosting to 21 psi and tapering like normal which is why I figured there were no problems until tonight when I changed my oil.

Last edited by vicbdn; Jul 23, 2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have the rust in that exact same spots. Even on the power stearing booster. I thought about painting it but then I worried that it would not disperse heat.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

do u have undertray?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
do u have undertray?
Nope, that'd prolly cause quite a bit a rust wouldn't it...

Broke so many of the stupid clips messing with the undertray I just shelved it...
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I am guessing it is from residual salt that got into the engine bay during the winter or early spring driving, and just sat there and corroded things. When you wash your car do you wash the engine bay also? If not, that's probably the cause.

One other thing, do you run methanol injection? I found that all of the bolts in the are where my meth bottle was (in the trunk) were badly rusted after 1 year. Probably from the corrosive fumes. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 23, 2007, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I am guessing it is from residual salt that got into the engine bay during the winter or early spring driving, and just sat there and corroded things. When you wash your car do you wash the engine bay also? If not, that's probably the cause.

One other thing, do you run methanol injection? I found that all of the bolts in the are where my meth bottle was (in the trunk) were badly rusted after 1 year. Probably from the corrosive fumes. . .

EVOlutionary
Nope...no methanol here. But thanks for the info...This rust isn't serious right? I can just sand it away maybe?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

It looks to just be surface so you can just sand it down and then paint it with something to protect the metal. I wouldn't worry about it, if you look under the hood of my DSM you'll feel a lot better about your rust :P