Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Defi BF Oil Pressure Gauge Warning Beep

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defi BF Oil Pressure Gauge Warning Beep

i installed the Defi BF Imperial Amber Oil Pressure gauge this morning. everything works fine, but when i turn the key to the acc position the warning light on the gauge turns on and it starts beeping. i think it's because the pressure is reading 0 because the car isn't started. does anybody know if i can make it stop beeping? i gets really annoying especially when people are waiting inside the car. also, whats the normal reading for oil pressure when the car is idling (or when the clutch is pressed in.)
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bboy_RES
i installed the Defi BF Imperial Amber Oil Pressure gauge this morning. everything works fine, but when i turn the key to the acc position the warning light on the gauge turns on and it starts beeping. i think it's because the pressure is reading 0 because the car isn't started. does anybody know if i can make it stop beeping? i gets really annoying especially when people are waiting inside the car. also, whats the normal reading for oil pressure when the car is idling (or when the clutch is pressed in.)
This is completely normal and if you look in the little booklet that comes with each gauge it tells you this. One easy way to turn this off would be to wire a switch in series with the power wire to this gauge so that you can actually turn that guage off. That might not be too practical though.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live with the beep. Small price to pay for audible low pressure warning.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
I live with the beep. Small price to pay for audible low pressure warning.
Me too. Only time it ever really bothered me was at the drive ins because I had to leave the car running the whole time. But how often does that happen? lol..
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

i had that dam beep...i have a defi control unit though and u can change the warning level and no more beeping ...u can always get a control unit
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

i have the control unit II and i turned the warning level all the way to 0, but it still beeps. is there something else i'm not doing? i might just have to unplug the gauge from the control unit whenever go to the drive in.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, setting it to zero should not stop the warning (if your engine was running and had zero oil pressure you'd probably want to know about it).
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by bboy_RES
i have the control unit II and i turned the warning level all the way to 0, but it still beeps. is there something else i'm not doing? i might just have to unplug the gauge from the control unit whenever go to the drive in.
yea it will still go off when you turn it to 0. mine does this too and its so annoying I can't park and listen to music while waiting to pick someone up without having the engine on. just live with it I guess or just take out the power line to ur control unit whenever ur at the drive in
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i guess that's what i'll have to do.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by amscrazy
i had that dam beep...i have a defi control unit though and u can change the warning level and no more beeping ...u can always get a control unit

false information. u can set the warning all the way to 0 and it still beeps.

unless you know something the rest of us defi users dont know.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

yea, mine beeps even when set to 0. Also, at idle....it reads 1.0 once warmed up.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
my control unit is mounted inside my center armrest, muffles the beep pretty well
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you set it to zero? Why not set the oil pressure warning to something like....below what you see at idle, but not all the way to zero. That way, if you drop below normal oil pressure, you'll get a warning, but you won't get a warning if you are just starting or shutting off your car.

At least that's what I did when I had the Defi gauges in my car a few years ago.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
Why do you set it to zero? Why not set the oil pressure warning to something like....below what you see at idle, but not all the way to zero. That way, if you drop below normal oil pressure, you'll get a warning, but you won't get a warning if you are just starting or shutting off your car.

At least that's what I did when I had the Defi gauges in my car a few years ago.
Because it will still go off because its at 0 when you have your car on but not the engine on. Like he said he goes to the drive in so the ACC will be on but not the engine, so the alert would still be going off since it would be below any setting it is on.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What you do is get a 12volt automotive relay, run the switched 12v power source for the gauge through this relay. The input trigger for this relay should be something that is hot only when the engine is running. (Im trying to think of where you could tap a source like that from, I know theres something).

One alternative would be to get a normally closed relay and wire the trigger to the parking break ground, then route the power as normal. That way the gauge turns off when the p-brake is set.

Theres a billion more ways to do this, any Q's just ask.

Quick Reply: Defi BF Oil Pressure Gauge Warning Beep