Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best Place to Get Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone need any helmets pm me i can order it & send it to you any kind you want
suomy hjc agv icon shoe send me a modle number & kind ill get ya an awesome price
Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

If you are racing a near stock car, some events/tracks let you get away with a motorcycle, Snell M 2005 or better, helmet. However, if you have a roll cage or even a roll over hoop then you must have a car helmet, Snell SA 2005 or better.

Snell ratings are derived from testing and to first order having nothing to do with the material used. That said, some may be better than others, I would consult the manufacturer if I had a preexisting condition. It seems that Impact racing products, Bill Simpson's new company, seems to be engineering improvements in safety as opposed to copying old designs.

I have been meaning to visit www.extremesupply.com since they are in my neighborhood. Visit a large motorcycle supply store and try on every helmet. Typically Arai fits oval heads and Shoei is for round heads.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i got mine from these guys:

http://www.motodirect.com/

cheap SNELL/DOT certified helmets.

i plan on getting a "name brand" one eventually, but wanted to make sure it was something i was going to use before i went and spent a couple hundred collars on a nice one.

i think i got both of my current helmets for like 50 bucks each.
So most all the helmets from this link are Snell M2005

Does that mean they wouldn't work for automotive racing? You'd think if its good for a motorcyclist it would be safe for auto racing....

EDIT:Well i just read the post above mine so that answers my question
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MotoXOutlet.com

Motorcycle-Superstore

RideGear.com

As stated before, anything DOT/SNELL approved should be good for use in a car. It's a little different if you'll ever use it for riding.

If all fails, you should try Ebay. Ebay has awesome deals on helmets for cheap.

It helps to have a few bike riders in this forum, eh?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by prj.evo
So most all the helmets from this link are Snell M2005

Does that mean they wouldn't work for automotive racing? You'd think if its good for a motorcyclist it would be safe for auto racing....

EDIT:Well i just read the post above mine so that answers my question
What kind of racing are you doing? In just about every autocross event and lots of track events an M2005 helmet will do just fine. They are much cheaper then SA2005 helmets of the same brand and model. All snell rated helmets pass rigorous testing so they are all safe. You are paying for the construction, weight and quality. The main difference between a motorcycle and car helmet is a motorcycle helmet is meant to take one big impact while a car helmet is meant to take many impacts.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

The way I look at it, if a helmet is certified to protect my head from asphalt at highway speeds, it is gonna do a pretty good job inside my car that is designed to be safe at highway speeds with no helmet.

But like others said, depends on the tracks you go to. I drag race/rally cross and the M rated helmets are ok by them, hence why I got it.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.saferacer.com/ has a nice selection of helmets, racing suits, shoes, etc.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:33 PM
Account Disabled

Check regulations for road racing or autox with your local sanctioning body. As of this year I believe most will not allow motorcycle helmets on the road course.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

OMP

http://www.fasthelmets.com/OMP.htm

Arai

http://www.araiamericas.com/helmets_all.asp

Schuberth

http://www.schuberth.com/

I think for Schuberth, a helmet from them would cost as much as several head injury operation costs so it is up to you to decide whether it is worth it or not.