Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"High-speed shift lock-out"????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only ACT clutches experience this?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

The reason I said I'd be worried if it were the stock clutch with similar problems, it could POSSIBLY be syncros going out and why you grind. Or the clutch is having problems fully disengaging between shifts. Could be a worn throw-out bearing. How I would fix it is first install a SS clutch line and see if that improves any, and then next would be to inspect the clutch itself. If it is a stock clutch, chances are it'll need replacing sooner or later anyway. Better to buy a new one early in the game.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

the SS line will help the pressure stay constant, am I right?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ohEVO18
the SS line will help the pressure stay constant, am I right?
when I took the pill out and installed the SS line on my '03, the clutch felt less "squishy & vague". So, an answer to your question would probably be yes.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

OP, do you still have your clutch pill in place? The clutch will actually last LONGER with it removed, but it is much harder on drivetrain for launches.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Haha good thing I read this I'm about to get the hdss
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drooke
Haha good thing I read this I'm about to get the hdss
Yeah, I think the high RPM lockout issue should be a sticky on here. It surprises me how many don't know how to fix it.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burklow
Yeah, I think the high RPM lockout issue should be a sticky on here. It surprises me how many don't know how to fix it.
well the different "fix" methods dont apply to me... My problem wasnt a adjustment problem, it was act giving me some POS clutch that didn't fit right (see page 1)...
side note, the act clutch in my subaru just crapped out on me yesterday, one of the pressure plate arms broke and wouldnt let the clutch release... That's the 4th act clutch I have used that didn't last more then 20k miles.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

burklow- I did not remove the restrictor pill, figured i didnt know enough about it so i left it alone. besides, id rather buy a new clutch than other various driveline parts i.e. tranny case...

drooke- i actually like the HDSS. its grippy and little over stock feel, its just this lockout problem that sucks. so hopefully this works it out...
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8luva
my act hd with street disk did the same thing, I adjusted it which helped a little. Shifting into 4th or 5th at high rpm still sucked though. Well I took the tranny and clutch out, tranny was fine, and what I found with the clutch was disturbing... The outer edge of the clutch disk hub and the hub springs had been slightly rubbing on the pressure plate when the clutch would try to release...
no more act for me!
Same here NO MORE ACT FOR ME
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

act
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes it's better to pony up the dough for the expensive one the first time around like I did. I had to save for a while then found a good deal on here from one of the vendors (I think it was Chris @ Nolimitmotorsport). Either way I put the Cusco twin disc (same as Exedy, even has there name on the intermediate plate) and haven't had a problem since, that was almost 30K miles ago. A few hard launches, lots of highspeed high RPM shifting since then and it still feels like the day I finished breaking it in! You're pretty much gonna pay the same labor regardless if it's a twin or single. A good shop is going to take the flywheel off anyhow so why not put a twin in there and be done with it! And no my left leg is not bigger than my right!

Josh
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL MR
Same here NO MORE ACT FOR ME
Getting rid of mine soon too . It was fine for a long time now all the sudden no 7.5 - 8k shifts. I have adjusted the damn thing everyway possible no go.

Exedy Twin here I come shortly
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need to lenthen the rod in the pedal adjustment to give the clutch more travel. You might also try bleeding your slave cylinder.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

^ noted, im going to the shop later and am going to mess with it, along with installing my LICP and MBC, oil change and new exhaust...hopefully this problem goes away...

Quick Reply: "High-speed shift lock-out"????