Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Easiest 30+ lbs weight saving

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I don't agree, weight savings is one of the smartest things you can do. The car breaks less, go quicker/faster, stops faster, wears out tires less, gets better fuel mileage, handles better.
I am also a true believer of weight saving. Most of the items listed above I've already done to my car. I've bought almost all the light weight available for the evo ever made to the public. My ultimate goal is to go as fast as I can while looking as stock as possible.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=308010

The review on the 3lb battery.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8
For that much money I would just lose some weight
word...lol
Old Jun 2, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

I don't agree, weight savings is one of the smartest things you can do. The car breaks less, go quicker/faster, stops faster, wears out tires less, gets better fuel mileage, handles better.

Spending $500 for a battery..............I did the same thing, it's new on my desk. I don't think I will ever use it. Our battery kit takes 20 pounds off, will start in the winter and is under $300.

This battery is slick though and light as hell. I just don't know if it will even work at all in cold weather.

Gotta back up DB on this! His mini kit was one of the very first mods I ever bought in 2004 when I got my car. Still have the same battery. In fact, its been totally dead 2 times, brought back to life, and starts without any hesitation. And it gets cold here in Denver during the winter.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
I am also a true believer of weight saving. Most of the items listed above I've already done to my car. I've bought almost all the light weight available for the evo ever made to the public. My ultimate goal is to go as fast as I can while looking as stock as possible.

I would have just tinted the windows, and took the passenger seat out when I went to the track.......

But I guess thats because I drive a 1g....

weight savings FTMFW!!
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Remove headlights, remove tail lights, remove heater/ac, remove all wires, remove alternator, run your ecu on nano lithium phone batteries

a lot of weight savings -)
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Spending $500 for a battery..............I did the same thing, it's new on my desk. I don't think I will ever use it. Our battery kit takes 20 pounds off, will start in the winter and is under $300.

This battery is slick though and light as hell. I just don't know if it will even work at all in cold weather.
David -

Check out my review on the battery

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=308010

It works great in cold weather, tested it Albany area during the winter.

Last edited by dudical26; Jun 3, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

weights savings is always a plus. if you have the money than **** it! why not? for some people 500.00 can sting more than others - so to each his own!!! but for me i will be buying this battery.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well I sure hope you stripped every single thing that is not needed out of your car before spending 500 bucks on a battery,(including the AC that still runs great apparently). I hope your in the upper echelons of whatever your competing in to warrant a purchase of this nature(or you have the money to not give a crap).
10lbs=1hp so you gained 4 with 500 bucks.
with $500;
you could have done many number of things that would give you 15-40 more whp; or
if your like me( a track *****) get a sway bar set that would maybe give you more control over the car in turn taking 1-2 secs of your lap times.
All this is hypothetical, but im sure you get what Im saying.
I hope this post is not taken seriously but why spend $500 on battery!?
I am going to laugh as hard as I did when I first read this post when I read your post a few months from now complaining that your $500 mini battery is dead.
I bet your running around with carpet, spare, jack, and the plastic covers in the trunk?
that right there is over 40lbs.
Thats it!, I just got an idea! Im going to make a box that prohibits all of the above
from residing in the trunk and sell it for $499 eliminating 45lbs of weight!
I will not be undersold!
I am going to make a killing!
and whew thats alot of "I's"

Last edited by bchappy; Jun 3, 2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

I bet you'll save more weight getting those mini battery for
losing you lunch money - jk.

But seriously, if thats the only thing you would consider to lose weight
to your car then I think its not worth it IMO.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny how many people bash others for spending money on weight savings The people bashing just have no clue. Thanks for the tip on this battery, this will be a great addition for me. Every OUNCE counts for some of us. For the haters of weight savings, my car is in the 2500 pound range without carbon/frp doors, carbon drive shaft, carbon roof, fiber images carbon hood, etc, etc. I have full body panels, full doors, full guages, HID headlights, all carpet, full interior-minus pax seats, etc, etc. Get the point. If I went crazy I'd be in the 2400# range, don't worry, I'm getting there....
Old Jun 3, 2008, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get a deka battery....same as braille and its only $62shipped
Old Jun 3, 2008, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8
For that much money I would just lose some weight

I was going to go with the light weight battery, but I just couldn't justify spending that much money on a battery that will probably leave me stranded. Thats my luck anyways .
Old Jun 3, 2008, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

so give me your wallet,credit cards and the rest of the money....u'll save a few extra lbs
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

how come spending $500 on a battery to save 30lb is waste of $$$, yet spending $600+ on a CF lip or a Voltex diffuser is a smart buy ? Or the cheap looking CF interior or exterior pieces ? I just love seeing people showing their CF hoods with 1" gaps all over the place ... But this is CF MAAAAN !!!!1!!!

I bought Braille 6lb battery with a tray for around $250. I was looking into Voltfreaks 3lb battery, but already spent way too much $ on other stuff so had to cut back. I was suprised tho, the very first time I put it in, I was able to start the car. I just love how small it is and light. Best $$ I ever spent, and If I had to do it over again I would have no problem spending $250-$500 on a sub 10lb battery.

work hard, play hard. If you can afford it , DO IT

Last edited by letMeIn; Jun 3, 2008 at 05:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Easiest 30+ lbs weight saving