Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO based off of Lancer or Lancer Based off of EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
EVO based off of Lancer or Lancer Based off of EVO?

Just wanted to know which was true? I have thought the Lancer was built off of the EVO, but wanted to confirm that.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought the mirage was built off the evo and the lancer was a different chicken all together.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:26 AM

It seems as if the Evo was built first and then they built the de tuned lancer.

This is kinda like the skyline in Japan. Yes a few versions are amazing cars but there are also stationwagon skylines and 4 door skylines.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The Lancer came first. Mitsubishi have been building Lancer's from the 80s or even before.

The Evo is, as the name implies, an Evolution of the Lancer.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:32 AM

There were many versions of Lancer from 70's that I know of. So, my guess is the chiken before the egg. i.e. Lancer before the EVO.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

that is correct

that had to make a Lancer before they can make an "evolution" lancer

also, there were generations of skylines, before they ever made a GT-R
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:57 AM

the EVO VII and VIII were based off of the Lancer Cedia. (sp?) It has little to no relationship with the mirage.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by jotan82
that is correct

that had to make a Lancer before they can make an "evolution" lancer

also, there were generations of skylines, before they ever made a GT-R
But, in no way is the current Evolution based off of the current Lancer. Two different cars.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Re: EVO based off of Lancer or Lancer Based off of EVO?

Originally posted by revhappy
Just wanted to know which was true? I have thought the Lancer was built off of the EVO, but wanted to confirm that.
The uni-body is the same (almost EVO has Larger rear fendors)

Between the to cars they share some int. trim peices but they are very much diffrent in every other way.

Eric
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Fireball

But, in no way is the current Evolution based off of the current Lancer. Two different cars.
Correct...the USDM Lancer was modeled after the JDM Evolution before the Evo came to the US. The Lancer was here in the US first, but it was built AFTER the Evo!
Old Aug 19, 2003, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Evo has always started out as a lancer. The USDM Mirage is a rebadged JDM Lancer. Like one said, only the basic frame/chassis, and the dash is the same everything else is hand assembled.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

As far as I was aware, I thought the WRC cars had to be based off of a production car?

In any case, all these names are confusing everyone.

US name  &nbspJapan name     &nbspWhat was based off of it
Mirage      &nbspLan cer       &nbsp ;     Evo 4-6 (CN, CP9A)
Lancer      &nbspLan cer Cedia    &nbspEvo 7-8 (CT9As)

Evo's were basically built off of the Lancer base, with a slightly modified chassis (stiffer, large fenders, etc). There was an even older base for the Evo's 1-3, but I don't know what the base models of those cars are.. I take it those are the first gen Lancers that Mitsubishi put out. In Japan, the Evo has ALWAYS been based off the Lancer, hence the "Lancer" in Lancer Evolution. (even though they are called Mirages here in the US, and Virages in Taiwan, and maybe elsewhere too)

Yes, the Evo could technically be called a "souped up Lancer" but anybody who knows better knows that aside from the name and some shatty interior parts, the two cars couldn't be more different.

The USDM Evo8 is nothing more than a watered down JDM Evo8, though Mitsubishi has implied that in the future the US Evo may evolve differently than the JDM one. ..

Last edited by zstryder; Aug 19, 2003 at 02:05 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

The USDM Evo8 is nothing more than a watered down JDM Evo8, though Mitsubishi has implied that in the future the US Evo may evolve differently than the JDM one...
I've heard that as well, I wonder if the USDM will take the route of STI and go up on the displacement to increase power so on paper the EVO can compete with the STI. If that is the case I am glad I got it this year since the 2.0L 4G63 is a great engine.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 02:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The VIII is based off the VII which is based off the Lancer Cedia. It's somewhere on Mitsubishi's Page, but honestly I'm too lazy too look for it. The Cedia/Lancer chassis was apparently found to be a better platform than the previous Mirage's chassis.

Don't forget homologation. Like zstryder said, the WRC cars must be based on production cars. It is entirely possible that a company could create and sell a new line in order to make a new rally car, but it remains that the production version comes before the WRC version.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

In the US, it's called the Lancer Evolution, but overseas, it's just the Evolution VIII...bizarro...

Auto manufacturers also use different names in order to get a better insurance loss rating, which makes the car more attractive. Nissan did this with the Altima when it came out years ago...they kept the old "Stanza" name on the rear of the car at first because the Stanza had a really good rating. Perhaps Mitsubishi is doing the same thing with the Evo...after all, insuring a "Lancer" is cheap!

Quick Reply: EVO based off of Lancer or Lancer Based off of EVO?