Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Possibly buying Used Evo 9...advice/question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly buying Used Evo 9...advice/question

Hey...

I am planning on buying a 2006 Evo. Now the guys who previously owned it is quite confident it will pass inspection no problem. Im happy about that but i wanna take all precautions as possible. This was modded previously but he put it back to stock except for cams,mild tune, clutch, manual boost controller, 20psi. It did have a AMS IC, upper/lower IC piping, injectors,TBE.

Anyways...so i wanna make sure i take all precaution as possible. I am taking to a mitusbishi dealership in Las Vegas and getting it checked. I found a sticky thread and it said this

WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A USED EVO:
I just recently went through this so the experience is fresh in my mind. The first thing you should do is figure out which year you would like. The '03 is definately the cheapest so if money is an issue, you can start there. Next, if possible find the car with the accessories you would like with the lowest mileage possible. Obviously thats a given. Once you find a car to look at, look real closely at everything. Remember you would like to find one as stock as possible. Look at the radiator fins. Are they slightly bent; does it looks like someone has been playing around in there, maybe changing turbos and putting the stock one back on? Is the stock intake solid, or does it feel loose like it has been put on and off a few times? Check the oil, does it look fresh or is it low and black looking. How do the tires look? New tires especially for this car can be expensive and they are one of the key elements to how this car performs. How does the transmission shift? Naturally the tranny is a bit notchy but you can till what its supposed to feel like. How does the outside of the car look? If it has been neglected, most likely the rest of the car has been too. When driving the car, slam on the brakes. Does the wheel pulsate like the rotors are warped, or is it a smooth stop? And finally, one of the best things you can do. Take down the vin number and call Mitsubishi. Ask them what kind of warranty repairs have been made. One of the cars I looked at had about 6 different $800 to $3000 repairs all on different items on the car. That right there tells you one thing. The car has been driven hard and you dont want it. Also get a carfax report. Most dealerships (if thats where the car is) give a free one. If you have to buy one, its worth the money. Be very thorough and remember that you are spending a good amount of money here. Take your time. If something doesn't look right, ask about it. Good luck, and don't rush a purchase, its worth waiting a little while longer for a nice one.
My Question: is there anything else u guys recommend I should do?? How do i find out how much compression should be? Anything else,etc??!!

THANKS!!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Hehe, I am glad people actually read that. I wrote that about 2 years ago.

Another thing I did realize is look at the rims too and look for curb rash. If they are a little messed up, that can give you some leverage to lower the price a bit.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

ttt, c'mon evo guru's, where u @?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just buy mine :P and ill meet you half way....
Old Aug 5, 2008, 06:21 AM

Sorry, but I would look for a car that had not been modded (engine-wise). Manual boost controller... Makes me wonder how the previous owner tweaked it to that setting... Good luck.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

I did 2 things:

1. Got the VIN number and called Mitsu - had them check the VIN to see what or if any warranty or other service work had been done on it. I was able to weed out 2 different Evo's that way that were 'stock' when I was looking at them, but had been heavily modified earlier in their life.

2. Do a carfax - even though carfax won't always show EVERYTHING that happened to the car, it'll definitely tell you how many owners the car has been through. To me, it was important to know how many owners had had the car, and for how long.

Other than that, do your research.

Last edited by Craig King; Aug 5, 2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

when u guys say call Mitsu, does that mean, call the dealership or the 1-800 #...