Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo IX Owner; already having issues.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Evo IX Owner; already having issues.

So, I just bought a 2006 evo IX from a (assumed) reputable dealer. It had 42k miles when I picked it up, and it now has 43k. Im having a few issues, which I dont mind fixing. This thread will probably only be for those who want a fellow evo owner to have a plesant experience because currently, im ready to trade this thing back in for the lexus I sold for it.

Anyway, first off I noticed that all of my ACD lights are on. This seemed strange to me, but it doesnt appear to effect the driving of it. I read somewhere on this forum that it could be the diff fluid needs changing, which brings me to my next point.

There was a burning smell coming from the front of the car after I drove it for a while the night after buying it. I DID drive it 500 miles, which may have something to do with it. A friend of mine who is pretty evo saavy, said that it might be the differential fluid burning. So I took it mitsubishi, and they said yes it is infact diff fluid. However, the leak is coming from somewhere they cannot determine. Its leaking out, and getting burnt on the exhaust.

Now, mitsu took it out and drove it around for about 24 miles (omg wtf) and when they called me at the end of the day they said they found metal shavings in my transfer case, which didnt seem that strange. However, they said I need a new transfer case now.

Also, my reverse lights dont work. I read that it could be either a fuse, or the reverse gear sensor on the tranny isnt hooked up right. I pray its the first, because I dont have the ability, money, or patience to pull apart the tranny to hook all of that back up.

Other than those issues, it feels pretty solid mechanically. The transmission shifts smoothly and the clutch feels brand new. The engine sounds like it is having a misfiring problem when it idles, but changing the spark plugs should fix that.

Any ideas? Im seriously at a loss, im ready to trade this thing to a dealer and run away screaming. Im waiting to hear from mitsu about the warranty on the transfer case, I hope they cover it....

Sorry for the wall of text Oh, I also want to mention that I picked the car up thursday and dropped it off at the dealer sunday night. I had 2 days of driving it before it started falling apart.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Well if they are replacing the transfer case under warranty, you should be good to go. Those are the first to go. I haven't heard of any misfiring issues with Evos. A good thing to check is if the car is/was modded and if it's tuned for your current setup (stock?).

You should still have 7K worth of warranty, so refuse the fuse and is that doesn't work, take it back in.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blast83
Well if they are replacing the transfer case under warranty, you should be good to go. Those are the first to go. I haven't heard of any misfiring issues with Evos. A good thing to check is if the car is/was modded and if it's tuned for your current setup (stock?).

You should still have 7K worth of warranty, so refuse the fuse and is that doesn't work, take it back in.

Was it 50k miles or 60k miles? I plan on getting an extended warranty, I havent even paid taxes on this thing yet though.

Oh, also it has 2 mods. A megan racing CBE and an HKS BOV. Other than that, bone stock.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I would take that HKS bov off immediately..
is it vent to atmosphere or back into the intake?
if it's VTA then thats your idle problem right there..

Sorry to hear about your problems with the car.
I would check the ACD fluid.
If all the lights are on, thats the first thing I'd check..
It's the reservoir all the way up front on the drivers side by the headlight.
If it's low, all you have to do is top it off with the right fluid and you should be good.

As far as the reverse lights, I would check all the fuses under the dash and under the hood and the connections and bulbs to the lights themselves...
Hopefully it's just a bad fuse or bulbs..

Tranny is a whole other issue, I would definately make the dealer replace it under warranty if you only had it 2 days.. and there's no reason they should have driven it 24 miles, sounds fishy to me..
Metal in the fluid is a big problem, and i would not trust them to fix it.
Is this a Mitusubishi dealer or just a random car lot?
I would take it to a mitsu dealer and have them check it if it were me..
The dealer you got it from "SHOULD" fix it for no $..
If they don't, then raise hell.
good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

For all 3 ACD lights:
1) Check your TPS sensor into the throttle body.
2) Check ACD Pump. (Turn KEY on..not car, with 100% throttle, you sould hear the pump prime.)
3) Check Wheel Speed Sensors.

*If you're having idling problems too it could very well be the 1.

Last edited by Bggstin; Feb 16, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Idling problem might be due to your BOV...switch it out for a proper recirculating one.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by SICK9
I would take that HKS bov off immediately..
is it vent to atmosphere or back into the intake?
if it's VTA then thats your idle problem right there..

Sorry to hear about your problems with the car.
I would check the ACD fluid.
If all the lights are on, thats the first thing I'd check..
It's the reservoir all the way up front on the drivers side by the headlight.
If it's low, all you have to do is top it off with the right fluid and you should be good.

As far as the reverse lights, I would check all the fuses under the dash and under the hood and the connections and bulbs to the lights themselves...
Hopefully it's just a bad fuse or bulbs..

Tranny is a whole other issue, I would definately make the dealer replace it under warranty if you only had it 2 days.. and there's no reason they should have driven it 24 miles, sounds fishy to me..
Metal in the fluid is a big problem, and i would not trust them to fix it.
Is this a Mitusubishi dealer or just a random car lot?
I would take it to a mitsu dealer and have them check it if it were me..
The dealer you got it from "SHOULD" fix it for no $..
If they don't, then raise hell.
good luck.
I bought it from a dealer about 500 miles away, and they said the most they could do for me is a cheap transfer case if it came down to it. Its hard for me to raise hell, but im sure a quick chat with a lawyer would reveal some hidden consumer rights I dont know about. I'd rather it not come to that though.

The dealer taking care of it is a mitsubishi dealer, and the service writer is a friend of friend. So hopefully that will help. He seems like a pretty nice guy though, much more friendly than the ****** at lexus.

Isnt metal normal after usage? I mean the differential has little gears grinding and chipping away at each other right? Or am I way off?

Check your TPS sensor into the throttle body...It'll throw all 3 ACD lights. If it's not that it could be a broken wheel speed sensor, or a bad ACD pump.
Thanks, I will check that. I honestly thought the fluid would take care of it. The lights work for a while until about a couple minutes after I start driving.. if that makes any difference.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

So you put fluid in the acd reservoir and the lights are off for a bit, and then come back on?
Definately could be a bad acd pump then, or there is a leak in the acd line somewhere.

And YES there will be shavings in the fluid if it were a fairly new car, but after 42k , the gears should be well broken in by then and you shouldn't have alot of shavings in there.. How bad were the shavings? was it alot, or a little?
were they big shavings or just small fine grit..

If i bought a car and 2 days later it went to HELL, they would be replacing my TC right then, no ifs ands or buts.. period..
if they won't, then i'd contact a lawyer that knows comsumer rights.
Did they tell you about any issues with the car before hand.
If they are a mitsu dealer, then they should damn well know how to check out a car before they sell it. and if they did not alert you to known issues of the car then they are liable. It's called fraud.
I would ask to see the service record for the vin on the car and see whats up..

Did you take the car to your mechanic and have it checked out before purchase?
I always do this to any used car.. period.. friends or not.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by SICK9
So you put fluid in the acd reservoir and the lights are off for a bit, and then come back on?
Definately could be a bad acd pump then, or there is a leak in the acd line somewhere.

And YES there will be shavings in the fluid if it were a fairly new car, but after 42k , the gears should be well broken in by then and you shouldn't have alot of shavings in there.. How bad were the shavings? was it alot, or a little?
were they big shavings or just small fine grit..

If i bought a car and 2 days later it went to HELL, they would be replacing my TC right then, no ifs ands or buts.. period..
if they won't, then i'd contact a lawyer that knows comsumer rights.
Did they tell you about any issues with the car before hand.
If they are a mitsu dealer, then they should damn well know how to check out a car before they sell it. and if they did not alert you to known issues of the car then they are liable. It's called fraud.
I would ask to see the service record for the vin on the car and see whats up..

Did you take the car to your mechanic and have it checked out before purchase?
I always do this to any used car.. period.. friends or not.
No, I didnt have it taken to a mechanic. I will never buy a car that is more than 15 miles away again though. I called the dealer earlier, and they said they didnt take it to a mechanic. They admitted to just driving it to see if it feels fine and checking for leaks. If it passes those two tests, they sell it. If not they auction it. Im pretty sure I have some legal actions I could take. I just found out they misrepresented an M3 my friend bought from them. They said the body had no dents, when it had 6 large dents in the body.

I feel kind of stupid for not checking the car out but im willing to suck it up and fix this evo, it sounds like it is neglect on the previous owner's part rather than the dealer itself.

It sounds like most of these issues will be warrantied, none of these sound like abuse or because of mods. They didnt tell me what size the flakes were, I wasnt able to pick up my car. I had to have my dad do it because I was at work whenever they finished it. I plan on going back first thing in the morning and asking a few questions, so I can get a better understanding of where im at with this thing.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sadly that sounds typical of shady car lots.
they drive the car to make sure it runs and drives ok, then sell it as fast as they can..
To be honest, it sounds like the previous owner didn't take care of the car at all or had no clue about the car they had..
especially knowing they put the HKS bov on there..
Thats probably the #1 mod ppl do that have no clue what they are doing..
Sounds cool and all, but the car runs like crap.

If it were taken care of and regular preventative maintenance done, you would not be in this situation.
And if the dealer would have checked it over better, you would have known ahead of time. but they won't tell you this stuff if it means they wont sell the car fast and have to fix it..

Hopefully, this is a good lesson.
Always take a used car to a mechanic that has no ties to the dealer and have it checked out thoroughly.
When you go to the dealer, ask to see the service record of the car.
they will punch in the vin # and any dealer work will come up.
but i fear it will not say much, if they didnt use a mitsu dealer to do any work.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
well iam glad i read ur thread, and iam hoping i could help.
I was in ur shoes just few months ago when i bought an ix gsr and had almost the exact same problems, spent weeks with a mitsu dealer trying to figure out why the acd lights were on and here is the conclusion after doing a very heavy study.

first of, i think someone up top mentioned 3 possible things that could trigger the acd lights, however there are 2 more and one of them is almost bvery tough to detect;
beside the obviouse on which u should fill ur acd reservoir with some automatic tranny fluid and see if u could notice any leaks (btw when testing the acd unit , u need to cut as many corners as u can inorder to notice any fluid changes, the acd unit works when the car is turning, so maybe those guys drove it for 24miles trying to see if they lose any fluids but didn;t know that they just needed to take few turns and notice the fluid decreasing)

so fill up ur reservoir, and if u see it drop with no witness marks, then iam sorry to tell u this but its ur transfercase. yes, there is a polymer seal between the acd unit and the tc, in which if it fails then it would start leaking the acd fluid into the tc so u won;t be able to see it, thus it damages both the acd and tc since now ur tc oil is mixed with another viscous fluid.

i know u mentionedthat u smelled something is burning, i know with the evo 9's alot of times u would need to header wrap ur downpipe, so did u do that? and do u have any oil resedues on it? if so then that's where ur oil burning smell is coming from. have mitsu change ur tc, tell them what i just told u, we found that out by calling mitsubishi technical support.

and by the way, hows the dealer dealing with ur issues since u have an exhaust and a bov? i have an hks (which i freaking hate and wanna swap it back to the oem) and a tbe, and just recently got that lovely misfire code which evos seem to love having around.
pls advise and goodluck with ur issues.

Just remember u marry the hot chick for her good days and her period days, so don't let these issues back u off from ur evo love
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 235 Likes on 211 Posts
Get rid of it if you can.. You bought one that got screwed with by some 16 year old boy racer
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by kyooch
Get rid of it if you can.. You bought one that got screwed with by some 16 year old boy racer
Oh lordy, that doesnt make me feel good. Its a one owner, if that helps. Off a lease.. which I guess I could see a kid doing.

As for detroit pistins, the dealer didnt charge me anything today although it was just diagnosis. Im hoping that the TC is covered under warranty... if it is I will keep it. If not, some very lucky local dealership is getting it as a trade on a z06.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 235 Likes on 211 Posts
haha -
Did you get like the one month warranty at least or w/e when u bought the car? since I'm sure the factory warranty has been voided. They SHOULD replace anything like that - I'm sure there's something you can do legally.
At the very least, if you love the car, there's nothing you won't be able to fix.
Did you join the forums before or after you got the car? Coulda saved you a lottt of headache etc., most of the guys on this forum take excellent care of the car, especially with the resources and knowledge they have available
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Void21
Oh lordy, that doesnt make me feel good. Its a one owner, if that helps. Off a lease.. which I guess I could see a kid doing.

As for detroit pistins, the dealer didnt charge me anything today although it was just diagnosis. Im hoping that the TC is covered under warranty... if it is I will keep it. If not, some very lucky local dealership is getting it as a trade on a z06.
they should be able to swap it for ya. economy is bad and most dealerships are hurt and they need the business.
i think i forgot to mention another possibility which is if the trans has been pulled out, then the acd unit would need to be bled, if the person that did the trans pull out, didn't bleed it then u would see the drop in fluid as well.
pm if u like and i will explain it to u better on the phone.

on the dealer stuff, did they put down ur mods in the mitsu system or mention anything about them?

Quick Reply: New Evo IX Owner; already having issues.